1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

cv boot fix

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by westport toyota, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Jan 11, 2011 at 4:03 PM
    westport toyota

westport toyota [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Well 3 inch lift made cv boot rip @32k , this has happend to others. Some say-diff drop, some say coil over cranked to high ,no diff drop. when I took it to dealer after hour of arguing they fixed it, but would not fix a second time ever, were not suppose to fix any truck thats been lifted(even though they have lifted one out on there lot). Got new new boot on free but thats not the issue. The fins on boot rub together and ware a groove in each side of fin then after 20k they rip, and if warrenty is up, your ______! the dealer said "we have never seen a ripped boot and we work on lifted tacomas all the time". I asked if they could just simply crimp boot a little further out on the axles so fins wouldnt touch? OH nO that wont work, theres a groove they fit in, bla bla blah. Well after seeing my new boot grooved out like the last one before it ripped I took action-

you need-screwdriver, needle nose pliers, tile nipper( looks like end cutter plyers but not sharp)

pry small clamp off( there is a very small tab that I bent back strait up then slid clamp over it with screwdriver) then straiten out the square tighener dealy. I only had to pull boot out 1/4 inch to free fins, then zip tie(just inboard of wher clamp goes) it in place and reclamp. crimp the square tighener alot with the tile nippers and done. I drove around afterword for about 500 miles and they havent moved at all but havent gone wheeling around but i do drive pretty agressively. The pic looks kinda like they are touching but ther not I can see daylight through them from the fron this pic is the bottom.

Has anyone else tryed this? hope it helps you out.

SANY0693.jpg

2. Jan 11, 2011 at 6:32 PM
    MachoTaco10

MachoTaco10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Mine tore a small crease on one of the fins. I took it to the dealer and they gave me the run around about lifted trucks yada yada. They wanted to charge me over $300 to fix it. Screw that, I can pull axle shafts myself...

The problem is the cv boot is filled with grease, and if you drive just a little bit too long with a tear you run out of grease and can damage the shaft. Well I did just that...I was going to just replace the boot, but had to buy a whole new cv half shaft. Cheapest I found one was at Rock Auto.

Anyways long story short I will try this mod.

3. Jan 11, 2011 at 7:04 PM
    westport toyota

westport toyota [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I only moved it a little so will see if it slides back I didnt feel it come out of a groove. The spacer idea sounds good also.

4. Jan 11, 2011 at 7:08 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk

Ive been looking at it and I just dont understand how they can offer better cv fins. Is it just a more durable material or do they not touch for some reason.

[​IMG]

5. Jan 11, 2011 at 7:11 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

Space the fins farther apart, make them shorter = way more articulation without rubbing.

Those RCVs however are also made of stronger components and allow for greater articulation, which is why they're so much more expensive. Frankly, I can't justify that investment.

6. Jan 11, 2011 at 7:18 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    800 per side is rather steep

7. Jan 11, 2011 at 7:28 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Seeing as you can get a warrantied half-shaft from most auto-parts stores for around $100, yeah.

If something like this were roughly coilover priced (say, $1000 for a set of two), I might be convinced to jump. But not at the current price point.

8. Feb 8, 2011 at 6:57 PM
    Rich Beauregard

Rich Beauregard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    New London, CT
    Vehicle:
    17 Taco 4x4 SR5 Access Cab White
    Good Thread, I may be buying some axles soon.

9. Feb 8, 2011 at 7:17 PM
    saltidadyo

saltidadyo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sal
    new jersey
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    Pro Comp 6inch Lift Kit, Borla cat back, Moto metal 18 inch wheels, Mickey thompson 35 inch Baja's MTZ, Alpine INA 900BT, Thule roof rack, Satoshi Grill, Piaa driving lights on soon to be gone bull bar
    I recently put a 6 inch lift on my truck exactly on Jan 1. Get this not even 2 weeks i went to put my borla exhaust on and the shop that installed the life told me that my axle was cross threaded from the dealer. Now i am not a mechanic and they are friends of mine so i trust them, I would like to know TW opinion on this matter, it wound up costing me 450 to fix it. I was also told to call the dealer and try to get them to reimburse me for the cost. Truck is only 1 year old with 10455 on the OD.

Dcsleeper408 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top