1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CV Boot replacement - Axle Tulip questions...

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by bjacques, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Apr 15, 2013 at 12:49 AM
    bjacques

bjacques [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendan
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Supercharged Limited
    TRD Supercharger Kit,Lame-o Exhaust,Some Stereo stuff
    1) I mistakenly did not place any match marks on the shaft or tripod when I took it out of the tulip cup. Will this really be a bad thing? Any tips on getting it back together matching wear patterns, etc? Which seems like it should be possible, but I can't see how to make it work.

2) If I really just need to remove the tripod from the splines, do I really need to remove the circlip? (which is well below where the tripod seats to the splines)

3) Factory manual recommends using a brass drift to bang the tripod head off of the shaft. Any reason a 3-jaw puller wouldn't work?q

2. Apr 16, 2013 at 11:40 PM
    bjacques

bjacques [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendan
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Supercharged Limited
    TRD Supercharger Kit,Lame-o Exhaust,Some Stereo stuff
    OK... 3-jaw puller is striking out. I've been banging on it, with a brass drift, so hard that I've bent the drift. It's moved about a millimeter (but it HAS moved).

Before I hit it with the acetylene and bang on it some more, does anyone have any ideas?

BTW, I did remove the circlip, looks like it really just needs to be removed so you can hit the bottom of the tripod squarely.

Also, still trying to figure out how to re-match the rollers into the cup / tulip...

Products Discussed in

To Top