1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CV Boot Tear

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 53flattie, May 19, 2011.

1. May 19, 2011 at 7:19 AM
    53flattie

53flattie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate, SC
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC
    2.5" OME
    I noticed yesterday that I have a tear in my driver's front CV boot. It's very fresh because I'm under my truck a good bit and I haven't noticed it before. Also, the grease that has made it's way out of the boot is still clean and not packed with dirt, so I know it hasn't been there very long.

Assuming the inners of the CV joint are not bad, is it possible to have only the boot replaced? Seems a shame to have to buy a whole new CV axle if only the boot is torn.

I know they make the "slip-over" replacement boots (or at least I've seen them in the past) but I'm looking for a better alternative. Ideally, I'd like to remove the CV axle and take it to someone and have the boot completely replaced. Is that possible?

2. May 19, 2011 at 11:49 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    The only difficult part is getting the axle off. Removing the old boot, disassembling the CV joint, cleaning, reassembly, lubing and replacing the boot is not only possible but very easy once the axle is off.

I drove my Rodeo for about 5 Kmiles when the inner boots tore (I never put it in 4WD and so didn't load the joints). The outside was all caked with grease and sand but the insides were fairly clean. After cleaning and re-packing the joints I drove it for another 60-70K before trading it with no problems.

Removing the axles on this Tacoma look to be a lot easier than the Rodeo. I assume the joints are as easily disassembled but if not, brake cleaner will work wonders to clean out the old grease!

OH yeah.... use ONLY CV joint grease which generally comes in a boot kit along with bands.

3. May 19, 2011 at 12:52 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    I had a hard time taking the axle out, so I just replaced it all underneathe the truck

4. May 19, 2011 at 3:13 PM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Anyone have a video or diagram of how to rebuild a CV axle?

I have been hearing some popping coming from my CV axles when driving slowly and turning in forward and reverse. I would like to just rebuild the joints if its possible to get the parts.

5. May 19, 2011 at 3:20 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
  6. May 19, 2011 at 3:55 PM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    ^ Thanks. I was confused a bit about why you have to cut the axle or break the clip to remove the center axle shaft from the Birfield joint.

I found this video. Explains it a little better. I guess to re-assemble after breaking the clip, you just place a new clip on the outter clip notch and just press it back into the joint?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0_jL83jMH8

7. May 19, 2011 at 4:08 PM
    rondog

rondog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronnie
    Escondido/San Diego
    I wish mine was that easy when I swapped mine with the TX extended axles

8. May 19, 2011 at 5:40 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    and that is what scared me away from doing the install myself, well that and the gussets. So Im having a shop do it on wensday

9. May 20, 2011 at 4:15 AM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Wow... that birfield is a lot different from that Rodeo outer joint. But I wonder why you'd have to break it open just to replace the boot.

Couldn't you just slip the old boot off over the shaft, clean the birfield really well with brake cleaner, repack and reboot?

Also, looking at the service manual it doesn't appear you have to remove the inner joint cup: just disassemble the joint on the truck and take the drive shaft, with tripod, out. That way you can avoid possible damage to the oil seal.

10. May 20, 2011 at 6:40 AM
    Wicked 2007

Wicked 2007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AT DC SB 4x4
    2007 Tacoma Double Cab SB 4WD - Auto -TRD Off Road - Icon Billet UCA - 8" ORI Front Struts - Bilstein 5100 11" RCD Shock - AllPro Expo Springs - Demello Sliders - Tom Woods 1 Piece Driveshaft - 16x8 Mojave Teflon Rims - Locker Mod - Locker Guard - 35" MT MTZ's - ARB Bumper - Warn 8000 winch w/synthetic line - All-Pro Front Skid/Transmission Skid/Rear Armor - ARB Front Locker - Nitro 4.56 gears - Marlin 4.7 crawl box - Twin Stick FJ t-case - ATO high clearance rear bumper
    shaft removal is actually pretty easy. Chase at east coast gears had a full pictured how too if you search. here is the description:

Remove Front wheels:
    Remove Skid Pans:
    Drain Diff fluid 10mm Allen:
    Separate Tie rod ends, a cheap tierod separator can be purchased or rented from an auto parts store or alternately one can use a hammer and give a good smack to the spindle tierod body. Tie rod separator is easy and cheap, do not use a fork tool you will ruin the boot.

Remove Spindle cab with a small srewdriver or chisel, work around the edge slowly and don't beat it to death they damage easily, once separated use a prior bar to pop it off: Remove Cotter pin and lock retainer: Remove axle nut 36mm w/ impact gun my battery powered electric took these off, if they are stuck or don't have power tools have an assistant hold the brakes while you put a breaker bar on it, if no assistant is available the nut can be broken loose by setting the tires on the ground in park and using a breaker bar, this should be done early on obviously. Remove Sway bar link nut and pull link away from spindle this free up more travel: Remove lower ball joint Bolts: There are only 2 early trucks had 4 bolts The spindle is now ready to be pulled away from the axle shaft giving you room to swing it out away from the CV, this allows for CV removal. The splines of the CV can be fairly seized in the internal hub splines. Screwing the axle nut back on shaft and popping the end of it, with a dead bow will free it up. Getting the spindle away from the shaft is much easier with an assistant but possible by yourself, pull rotor spindle assembly away while pulling CV shaft back towards diff. Position spindle to the rear and secure or have an assistant hold out of the way while shaft is being removed. Remove CV shafts- use a pry bar to pop shaft out of tube and diff. Internal c-clip is holding shaft in. A big brass drift can also be placed where prior bar is placed and can be knocked out with a hammer.

11. May 20, 2011 at 7:33 AM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    FSM procedure...

12. May 20, 2011 at 7:47 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    With all the work it takes to re boot the axle, you're better off getting a brand spankin' new axle instead. Just from expirience.

13. May 20, 2011 at 7:50 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    x2 $45 (less shipping) from Rockauto. And if you really want to rebuild the CV, you can save it for a rainy day. Then you've got a spare.

14. May 20, 2011 at 11:30 AM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Are they new or rebuilds?

but seriously, I don't know if it matters: the boots alone could push $45 for a DIY rebuild.

15. May 20, 2011 at 11:39 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    New. Made by Cardone

16. May 23, 2011 at 7:28 AM
    53flattie

53flattie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate, SC
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC
    2.5" OME
    Wow - only $45 for a new CV axle... I just assumed I would be looking at $300 or $400 for that... Heck, I paid at least $100 for one for a Honda Accord, and changed it myself.

Guess I'll just go this route.

Thanks for the info!

17. May 23, 2011 at 7:48 AM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    I need to change my cv's out I'll be looking at rockauto for parts!

18. May 23, 2011 at 9:01 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    Rockauto is a vendor here and also has a member discount. Check their forum section for details.

19. May 25, 2011 at 3:02 PM
    Hops

Hops Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    south mississippi
    Vehicle:
    08 Silver Streak Mica Access Cab 4X4
    Shock and leaf spring TSB, Neoprene seat covers, weathertech digital fit floor mats, vent visors, bug shield, secondary filter removed, K&N drop-in filter, century camper shell, 265/75R16 ATM's...
    The boots alone are 40 bucks from toyota so this is a great deal

20. Aug 10, 2011 at 9:29 PM
    stmpjmpr

stmpjmpr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    So Orange County, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma Sport MGM 4X4
    just placed order. hope it all works out ok.

Products Discussed in

To Top