1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CV boot torn.. questions?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kieth, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Jan 8, 2012 at 8:30 AM
    kieth

kieth [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 trd
    Full OME lift with Dakars, 886s and LR UCA's, Firestone air bags w\ onboard compressor, 2 kicker CVT 10" subs , MB Quart 1000w amp ,Alpine media player
    hey guys, so while i was under my truck changing the oil yesterday i noticed my drivers side inner cv boot is torn and i got the grease spray goin on. I have a OME 3" lift with the diff drop in. My angles are still kinda shitty and i knew it was gonna happen eventually. I've done some reading and some people claim the oem axles from toyota are better than aftermarket ones because they have a better range of movement. I'm not sure i believe this. now obviously the problem is the boot itself, not the actual cv joint, i havent seen anyone have problems with the actual cv joint. I am planning to do the cv boot mod on the new axle before i install it and i have some stainless steel tyraps that i think will work great in securing the boot. Im pretty sure i can change the axle myself, my only concern is when pulling the axle out is damaging the seals onthe diff side or hub side, now does this commonly happen or should the axle come out ok. Im not familiar with these seals if i damage on ein the process. im pretty mechanically inclined, i installed my lift and UCA's. any input would be appreciated . thanks

2. Jan 8, 2012 at 9:06 AM
    cameronlane

cameronlane Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    cameron
    Anywhere but there
    Vehicle:
    2014 Dbl Cab TRD OR 4x4
  3. Feb 16, 2012 at 1:05 PM
    Rastamanty

Rastamanty Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    '03 4-Banger manual SR5
    New pina colada air freshener, de-badged, painted/modified and re-badged
  4. Feb 17, 2012 at 1:58 AM
    g35man

g35man Discount Double Check

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    League City, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DC 4x4 OR
    Icon Stage II lift kit, LR uca's, Weather Tech floor mats, FX-R retrofit, Morimoto factory fit LED fogs, flyzeye designs cup holder lights, wet okole seat covers, upgraded Entune system
    I have a 2012 OR 4x4 that is stock and it is leaking grease from the cv boot on the drivers side. WTF!!!!!!!!!! This is my second time dropping it off at a dealer to try and solve this issue. Makes me wonder what is going to happen when my 3" lift creates more angle. :mad:

Products Discussed in

To Top