1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cyclic Vibration after OME lift QUESTION

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TOYOTA 09, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Nov 18, 2011 at 5:27 PM
    TOYOTA 09

TOYOTA 09 [OP] Kicking Ass Since 1981

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2009 SR5 MT 4x4 Access Cab
    Preview 2009 SR5 4x4 MT Black Sand Pearl (Access Cab) SUSPENSION ToyTec 5100 Billstein Coil Overs (3" Lift) Fox 2.0 Remote Res Rear Shocks Total Chaos UCAs Full Dakar Leaf Pack w/Extra AAL TIRES & WHEELS BFG AT KOs 265/75/16 load range E American Rancing AR-23 Wheels Borla CAT back exhaust AFE cold air intake w/custom TRD clear cover Satoshi grill w/Grill Craft insert Hella 500 behind grill lights Rigid Industries Backup lights Interior Custom LEDs and Bed Lights Backup Cam Anytime MOD Leather armrest and rear seat MOD Weathertech floor liners Custom rear gear/dog platform Cobra CB and Garmin GPS Bed Mat UWS low pro tool box with Custom LED lights Diff breather MOD Custom painted engine cover Wet Okole seat covers
    I've had my OME 3 inch lift kit (with TSB AAL) and TC UCAs on for a few months now. AT first I didn't notice any vibes....but lately i have been noticing a VERY SLIGHT vibration that happens around 2K on the tac. It's like a mmmmmmm...mmmm every 5 seconds. I engage 4wd and it goes away. I have 265/75/16 BFG ATs and 16 inch pro comp wheels. any thoughts.....its a very little vibe and does not bother me too much, but would like to have it fixed it possible. I also have the diff drop in. If i let the vibe go and not fix it....can i do damage?

Thanks in advance!!

2. Nov 18, 2011 at 6:21 PM
    TOYOTA 09

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Preview 2009 SR5 4x4 MT Black Sand Pearl (Access Cab) SUSPENSION ToyTec 5100 Billstein Coil Overs (3" Lift) Fox 2.0 Remote Res Rear Shocks Total Chaos UCAs Full Dakar Leaf Pack w/Extra AAL TIRES & WHEELS BFG AT KOs 265/75/16 load range E American Rancing AR-23 Wheels Borla CAT back exhaust AFE cold air intake w/custom TRD clear cover Satoshi grill w/Grill Craft insert Hella 500 behind grill lights Rigid Industries Backup lights Interior Custom LEDs and Bed Lights Backup Cam Anytime MOD Leather armrest and rear seat MOD Weathertech floor liners Custom rear gear/dog platform Cobra CB and Garmin GPS Bed Mat UWS low pro tool box with Custom LED lights Diff breather MOD Custom painted engine cover Wet Okole seat covers
    Alignment was right to spec too. Tires were balanced when mounted on the wheels and have been properly rotated since... Any thoughtsnon the cause of the vibe...and a possible fix?

3. Nov 18, 2011 at 6:24 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Yup. Your Front Diff bearings are shot.

Fix?

Replacement.

Mine have been like that for over 20,000kms now. Same as when I first lifted it. I'll wait till it gets worse before I fix it.

4. Nov 18, 2011 at 6:32 PM
    TOYOTA 09

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Can you elaborate on that^

What is a diff bearing. What does it do? Is it $ or hard to fix/replace?

Why does engaging 4wd stop the vibe? Sorry so many questions...still learning a lot about these trucks

5. Nov 18, 2011 at 6:43 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    I'm sick so I'm going to dumb this down hardcore. My apologies in advance.

When 4x4 is engaged it holds the front axle solid. No vibes. When it's not engaged, it's free to rattle around which gives you that lovely vibration.
    It's a real pain in the ass to fix. So much so, when done under warranty, they'll just replace the entire front diff because it's cheaper than all the labour that's involved with replacing just the bearings.

6. Nov 18, 2011 at 6:48 PM
    dayNnite4

dayNnite4 We can't stop here, this is bat country.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 5-speed AC
    the trick is getting the dealership to do it under warranty. alot of threads i read give ppl alot of trouble..trying to say the lift changed the angle of the front axle too much

7. Nov 18, 2011 at 6:51 PM
    TOYOTA 09

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    So replacing the diff will solve this? Won't the angles still be the same?

Will taking the diff drop out help?

Can damage be done just leaving it alone?

8. Nov 18, 2011 at 6:53 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    It's not the Trans. It's the front Differential.
    It just seems to be that a bunch were shit from factory. The problem was there before you lifted your truck. Lifting it just brings the problem to light. The Tundra's have a TSB on this actually.

9. Nov 18, 2011 at 6:54 PM
    SoCo

SoCo Hateful Respect

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    3rd gen T4R 5spd.
    There's not enough bandwidth for what's happening.
    I have to replace mine. The bearing is sitting in my glove box. When I get time to do the replacement, I'll try to remember to take pics. (Is there pics of a roller bearing replacement on here somewhere?)

10. Nov 19, 2011 at 7:06 AM
    TOYOTA 09

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Is there a tsb for this?

11. Nov 19, 2011 at 11:30 AM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Nope. Just for the Tundra.

12. Nov 19, 2011 at 3:17 PM
    TOYOTA 09

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Can I do damage just not fixing it for a while?

13. Nov 19, 2011 at 3:54 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Doubtful, but possible. It's already fucked so what damage are you doing to do to it really?

14. Nov 20, 2011 at 6:06 AM
    TOYOTA 09

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    I'm not sure that is why I asked :)

15. Nov 20, 2011 at 8:10 AM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Now you may be sure. There's guys who've been running like this and wheeling got far longer than I have with no I'll effects.

Products Discussed in

To Top