1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cycling (Road Bike) Thread

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by DNG, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Aug 6, 2013 at 9:40 PM
    chad68

chad68 Master Jedi Member I am...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    In a (Toyota) van down by the river! Sonoma Cownty
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 reg cab. Modded with more to come
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap

It's not so much pain as much as it is carpul tunnel crap. I've had issues with carpul tunnel since 1998, when I got back into riding a sportbike again.

If I shake my hands out from time to time while riding, I'm good. It happens on my road bike but can and sometimes happens on both of my MTB's.

Also happens more so on my throttle hand on my sportbike and sometimes I hold the throttle with my left and and shake out the bugs in the right hand. Sportbike is a double whammy because of the low bars and also the high frequency vibrations both of which contrubute equally to the CT problems. A proper fit won't eliminate the problems for me. Even with a fitting, it's still up to personal preferance in the final settings anyway. I mean both my MTB's are basically upright compaired to my road and sportbike and still have minor issues with those two bikes.

I did use the new Adamo seat and did 46 miles on it Saturday. I rode 1 hour non stop (13 miles), then took a 10 minute break, then 45 minutes non stop (13 miles) for 26 miles. Was faster coming back because it's more downhill. Then rode another 20 miles after that. The last 10-15 miles I was in the aero bars about 95% of the time and no numbness in the nads or anywhere else. My wrists were good as I was able to switch from hoods to aero's whenever I felt like it. The limiting factor this time was getting use to the new seat. I have found that 50 miles seems to be my comfort level. Once I get use to the new seat I'm hoping I will be able to do a 75 mile ride someday.

2. Aug 7, 2013 at 10:51 AM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    Glad that seat is working out for you :thumbsup:

I have a story, and its called the tale of the moving cleats :p I think I a going to pick up some new shoes today though..or maybe postpone paying for them till friday to see if my girlfriend will pay for them :D

http://roadcycling.mavic.com/en/product/footwear/road/footwear/Galibier#300003

[​IMG]

The shop is having a pretty good deal on them, and I stripped the (newly discountinued :mad:) cleat plate in my shoes. So I think both those are signs :D

On a different note, anyone recommend a torque wrench? I think a single adjustable one would be more worth it than multiple preset ones.....?

3. Aug 7, 2013 at 11:42 AM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    Hey guys... I'm glad I found this thread (who knew the search function actually worked LOL ;))

Been getting on my bike a bit more often as of late, and need to consolidate a few old and broken items, and perhaps a few new ones, into my phone...

Been using MapMyFitness but running on GPS only (switched off data services to save some cash for a few months) on my Moto Droid Razr. My old Sigma Sport computer took a crash on me and I I'd love to get something working though an app on the phone.

Likely going to switch over to either a Galaxy S4 or a Note3 when it gets released, so future compatibility is going to be more important than current, as I'm looking at 3-4 months max.

Anyone have any thoughts?

4. Aug 7, 2013 at 11:46 AM
    TeamSarcasm

Member:
    The better coast
    You can get a basic garmin for under 200 at a shop or for a little over 100 online. Then you can get what ever phone you want. Not that I like either...but I would get the sg4 unless you want everyone and their blind mother to be able to read your messages on the note :p

5. Aug 7, 2013 at 12:35 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    the SG4 is pretty damn big too. Its what I have right now. I had a Iphone4 before this. I actualy got bad hand cramps from using the SG4 bc the screen was so much bigger than what I was use to...

But I use Strava to track my rides and runs now. Its very accurate and has some great features. if there are established routes in your area and you ride on them then you can compare your time with other peoples times that have ridden the same route.

6. Aug 7, 2013 at 12:52 PM
    Haws

Haws Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    Lot's of stuff (-;
    Just found this thread which is really up my alley. As far as comfort and avoiding numbness in your crotch or hands? A professional bike fit will cure most if not all of that. Ive been an elite racer for 10 years, and have been fitted multiple times by various coaches and trainers. Its well worth the money, and will save you in the long run. Numbness is about saddle position as well and width. Same goes with hand position. Just make sure you go to a reputable bike fitter.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  7. Aug 20, 2013 at 6:01 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    Haven't ridden a century for the last three years so I decided now that I'm 40 I was due....the last one I did was in 2010 and I struggled immensely and fought severe leg cramps and finished in 7 hours.
    Knocked out the Svitak in Joplin Mo in 5.5 hours and finished amazingly strong. I started out with four racer boys and hung on for first 20 miles before getting dropped. Caught them at a sag stop (I only stopped twice), and hung on for maybe another 20 and got dropped along with another guy who was likely not fully recovered from the Leadville 100 the wknd before and he pulled me through a mid-ride slump and we took turns pulling until I dropped him big time on the last hilly 20 mile segment.
    Anyway what a blast when your hard earned fitness shines through!!!
    BABD5841-8B40-4AAC-8E53-A820D00A1795-561_5e67456e595328c6f6e09d51eeaa25a801fd8ba5.jpg

8. Aug 20, 2013 at 8:39 PM
    TeamSarcasm

Member:
    The better coast
    Like a boss sir, nice job :thumbsup:

I still have yet to do that, almost there though :p

9. Aug 21, 2013 at 7:45 AM
    SMKYTXN

SMKYTXN If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    11, 4dr, TRD Sport, 6sp
    DCFB
    Good job bud!

This weekend will be my first century in probably four years. I will be riding the Hotter n Hell 100 Saturday. I've checked the weather and the high is supposed to be 93, which is much better than the typical 103 degrees.

At the time I signed up I thought it was a good idea to compete in the tripple threat as well. I'm reconsidering that decision now.

Friday: 12 mile mountain bike time trial
    Saturday: 104 mile road bike endurance ride
    Sunday: 13 mile trail run

And the only reason I'm doing all of that is for a sliver of tree with the "tripple threat finisher" branded into it. I must be nuts! :D

10. Aug 21, 2013 at 8:14 AM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...

Sweet. Good luck man. Ill be doing the mtn bike race (cat 3) at 4pm friday and the 10k on sunday morning.

Our local mtn bike trail is sweet. Just a heads up though, on some of the steeper drops there is sand at the bottom and it makes it kind of sketchy. Other than that it is a well maintained trail. Im out running or riding it once or twice a week

11. Aug 21, 2013 at 8:47 AM
    SMKYTXN

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    11, 4dr, TRD Sport, 6sp
    DCFB
    This will be my first mountain bike race so I signed up for Cat3 beginner. I'll be starting after you, probably around 4:30.

I'll see you out there. I'll be the guy on the two speed, full rigid bike. :)

Oh, and you'll see the taco parked out in the camping area. Just have to get there early enough Thursday to secure a spot.

12. Aug 21, 2013 at 1:39 PM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...

what color is your bike? Ill keep an eye out for you.

we have a few rock gardens but they arent bad, a rigid bike sould be pretty fast on this trail actually.

13. Aug 21, 2013 at 5:38 PM
    SMKYTXN

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    11, 4dr, TRD Sport, 6sp
    DCFB
    I'm on an old diamond back racing frame that I've polished. The only things left from the original bike are the frame, stem, and bars.

Look for this guy.

[​IMG]

14. Aug 22, 2013 at 5:42 AM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    Cool. I'll look for it and just run around yelling "Nathan"!

15. Aug 22, 2013 at 7:06 AM
    wootalien

wootalien Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Texas
    Virgin
    SMKYTXN, is that anthills?

16. Aug 22, 2013 at 6:50 PM
    SMKYTXN

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    11, 4dr, TRD Sport, 6sp
    DCFB
    Not anthills, but close. That's just west of anthills along the trails. Good eye though :)

17. Aug 22, 2013 at 6:52 PM
    SMKYTXN

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    11, 4dr, TRD Sport, 6sp
    DCFB
    Sounds good Kev. I'm here all set up with the ac blowin its heart out. What are you riding? I'm sure it'll be hard to spot folks though. Good luck tokorrow if I don't see you.

18. Aug 23, 2013 at 8:12 AM
    SABAJA

SABAJA Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    13 Baja TX edition
    Hey guys...picking up a Giant Talon 2 tomorrow. I'm nearing 40 myself and so wanted to do something that wasn't as hard on the joints as the muay thai and running. So I've added in swimming and cycling to diversify things a little.

I haven't been on BIcycle since I was a preteen...so basically a novice again. We'll see. Any particular bike rack you guys use for your taco's? The tow hitch mount or the one that comes from Toyota using the cleats?

19. Aug 23, 2013 at 9:49 AM
    SMKYTXN

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    11, 4dr, TRD Sport, 6sp
    DCFB
    The easiest way is to get one of the cheap fork holders and attach it to the rail in the front. I also bought a Thule wheel holder. You'll have to come up with the backing nuts though.

20. Aug 23, 2013 at 1:05 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    Thanks guys!
    And good luck to Nate and Kevin this wknd. Have fun and be safe (lots of liquid and lots of calories:))

Products Discussed in

To Top