1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cycling (Road Bike) Thread

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by DNG, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Sep 15, 2015 at 1:09 PM
    _gray_knight_

_gray_knight_ Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '18 Mall Crawler
    Just washed

Thx! Yes it's a huge upgrade in my book and love my TS. I have the 2.5 model 11spd that has a mix of components....ulterga shifters/derailleur, oval crank (saving to upgrade to ulterga one) and 105 cassette w/ tektro brakes rolling on Shimano RS81-C35s. The SST is a sweet bike! That was my other option but beyond my price point at the time.

How it currently stands.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    Lord Helmet likes this.
  2. Sep 17, 2015 at 1:30 PM
    Fetus

Fetus Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma
    Here's my little two wheeled whip. Great for crit racing. Not so fun on endurance rides

3. Sep 18, 2015 at 12:32 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    Well the UCI bike racers are in town and already someone from the Netherlands has had their bike ripped off. A $10,000 dollar bike. Now wouldn't you think that they would have better security in the hotel than that?

4. Oct 7, 2015 at 7:57 AM
    TravelinLight

TravelinLight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayes
    Pensacola, FL
    Bilsteins on front and rear, OME 885 coils, Wheeler's AAL with overload left in, LR UCA's, Stock TRD 17" wheels, 255/75-17 BFG KM tires, VIPMOTOZ headlights, Lifetime LED headlight bulbs, 6000K LED Fog bulbs, Jumper's Interior and license plate LED's, Husky Classic floor mats, OEM bed mat, Leer100R truck shell with carpeted platform, de-badged, white derped grill emblem.
    I've just signed up for my first competitive race of any sort.....the Chattanooga Ironman 70.3! I've probably logged a total of 5 miles on a road bike in my life so it's time to jump into this thing head first and start training. I've worked my way up to half marathon runs before so I know I'm capable of that. The cycling is all new to me though. I'm buying my first road bike tomorrow: The 2015 Specialized Allez Sport. Its going to run me $805 out the door with free 30/60 tune ups.

Any thoughts on the bike, advice, or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated! I'm stoked!

specialized-allez-sport-2015-road-bike.jpg

5. Oct 7, 2015 at 8:28 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I think I like it...........but I'm biased since I have an 09 Allez Sport. Only thing stock on mine is frame/fork. Rest has been upgraded and lightened down to 17 lbs from the 21.5 stock. Love it and is all I need for road. I lean towards fat tire bikes which is what the other 16 are that I have.

[​IMG]
    (yes, I know....the specialized purists would shit their pants at me rollin on Bontrager wheels/tires - their problem)

Chinle and Lord Helmet like this.
  6. Oct 7, 2015 at 8:31 AM
    SMKYTXN

SMKYTXN If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    11, 4dr, TRD Sport, 6sp
    DCFB
    How's your swimming? That's usually the biggest hurdle for folks. Good luck with your training.

I'm out of the scene so I'm selling my tri bike if you're interested. It's an 09 Felt B2, but it's a bit higher priced than the bike you're currently looking at.

7. Oct 7, 2015 at 8:39 AM
    TravelinLight

TravelinLight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayes
    Pensacola, FL
    Bilsteins on front and rear, OME 885 coils, Wheeler's AAL with overload left in, LR UCA's, Stock TRD 17" wheels, 255/75-17 BFG KM tires, VIPMOTOZ headlights, Lifetime LED headlight bulbs, 6000K LED Fog bulbs, Jumper's Interior and license plate LED's, Husky Classic floor mats, OEM bed mat, Leer100R truck shell with carpeted platform, de-badged, white derped grill emblem.
    I just talked to a buddy who sorta bursted my bubble. I'm all excited about this bike since its my first road bike and he basically told me that I should strongly consider a Tri-bike and that I'll be in about a 10% minority of people not riding a tri bike at this event. My thing is, its an entry level bike for me and I want it to be more versitile than a tri-bike. I want to be able to go for a cruise around town or with my girlfriend.

I'm not doing this Ironman 70.3 for time, I'm just trying to complete it with a respectable time for a first timer. So, considering I'm on a budget and I'm new at this, am I making a good choice buying this bike? I can get the 50 miles done on this bike right? I'll just have to train harder!

8. Oct 7, 2015 at 8:49 AM
    SMKYTXN

SMKYTXN If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    11, 4dr, TRD Sport, 6sp
    DCFB
    Yes, you can get the race done on the entry level bike. My ex did her first couple tri's on a regular road bike. There will be plenty of riders on road bikes, but the majority will be tri bikes.

I've done everything from a sprint to a century on my tri bike, but it's not something you want to run around town on.

Ras61 and greeneggsnspam like this.
  9. Oct 7, 2015 at 8:53 AM
    greeneggsnspam

greeneggsnspam ಠ_ಠ

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    .gif
    Too poor to list anything interesting.
    I've done a 70.3 on a entry level Felt with 25mm gatorskins. Was I fast as the guys on the tri bikes? Not all, but some.

Remember, it's the engine that makes gives you most of the speed. Not the bike. Don't worry about it, you'll do fine.

I have a tri-bike that sits around now that I've gotten out of tris. I'd only use it for racing, or long training rides.

Ras61 likes this.
  10. Oct 7, 2015 at 3:06 PM
    Fetus

Fetus Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma

The Allez you're looking at it is fine. you can always get yourself a set of clip-on aerobars if you really want them but spending the big $$$ for a tri bike isn't worth it.. especially if you want to use it to cruise around. Down the road, if doing triathlons is something you enjoy, go out and get yourself a second bike.. a tri-bike

Ras61 likes this.
  11. Nov 5, 2015 at 8:17 AM
    Ras61

Ras61 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arlington VA
    Vehicle:
    '12 4wd TRD Sport Dbl Cab
    Icons front, Bilstiens 5125 rear, 35/12.5/17 MT/Rs and some trimming

Congratulations! I remember when you were preparing for the race. I am glad it went well despite challenges along the way. You’re right, our only limits are in our minds (for the most part).

I hope to join your ranks in about a year. I signed up for Ironman MD in October 2016, so I am in full own training mode. I also just finished the Marine Corp Marathon (in Washington DC) in 3:16, and am hoping to be just as fast at the IM. Wish me luck all!

Lastly, since it’s all about the bike, here is me with my steed. Quintana Roo PRSix rolling on Reynold Strikes.

12143062_897975233630027_2511438803657282432_n.jpg

pat's taco and Tilt[QUOTED] like this.
  12. Nov 5, 2015 at 10:52 AM
    idahbro

idahbro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR AC
    Leer XL Cap, Thule Rack, Weathertech Mats, Sleeping Deck/Bed Storage, Pop and Lock Tailgate Lock
    ^I dig the reynolds wheels on that rig.

Lord Helmet likes this.
  13. Nov 5, 2015 at 11:18 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Why does it appear to be 650B wheelset instead of 700C? It isn't because of the aero rims, looking at OD of tires. Optical illusion I'm thinkin..............

14. Nov 5, 2015 at 11:24 AM
    idahbro

idahbro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR AC
    Leer XL Cap, Thule Rack, Weathertech Mats, Sleeping Deck/Bed Storage, Pop and Lock Tailgate Lock
    looks like 700c to me

15. Nov 5, 2015 at 12:52 PM
    Ras61

Ras61 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arlington VA
    Vehicle:
    It's an illusion: they are 62mm deep, which makes the inner hoop look smaller I suppose. I'm embarrassed to say, I'm not sure what OD means...but if you mean the tire looks big compared to the rim, it might also be because the carbon brake track looks a lot like tire in that photo.

16. Nov 5, 2015 at 1:00 PM
    Ras61

Ras61 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arlington VA
    Vehicle:

This is all great advice.

I did around ten tri's on my road bike before I got my QR, including a half ironman. Tri-bikes take it to the next level, but at a big expense. They only make you marginally faster over a short period, and can be physically demanding without a good fit. They are worth it only if you are dedicated to the sport, and intend to be doing longer distances.

I should also mention, 80% of my riding is still on my road bike, it's just easier to ride in the Northern VA - DC area. It handles better and brakes better.

Good luck on your race Travelin'light! You'll crush it.

17. Nov 5, 2015 at 1:15 PM
    Tilt

Tilt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyle
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    In between Tacomas at the moment.
    Looks great!! Very nice rig!!

Exciting to hear you're taking the leap on the Full IM. Sounds like you're going to do very well. I wish you great success. I'm planning to do my first 70.3 in the Summer of 2016. Looking to do Calgary - as it's only an hour or so south of me. I'm going to try to push for a sub 6 hour finish. Anything around that time will be a complete success for me.

18. Nov 5, 2015 at 1:29 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    OD = outside diameter. I was looking at the outside diameter of the tire and they just looked small for some reason. Not sure why, didn't really think they were 650B on that bike. Like the bike tho, nice ride...........

19. Dec 19, 2015 at 8:42 AM
    Tilt

Tilt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyle
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    In between Tacomas at the moment.
    Looking for some thoughts and opinions. In a few months, I hope to have enough cash stashed away to pick up a real nice set of carbon fiber wheels for my bike. I want to get a real nice set. Something that could last me a bike or 2, at least.
    My best friend let me use his Zipps (404 on the front, 808 on the rear) for my Ironman last Summer. And now I'm totally spoiled. Since putting my basic wheels back on, I've been itching to get my own CF set. I've been doing a little bit of homework (online), and it's quite the challenge. Everyone has "their" favorite wheels - and it's somewhat difficult to compare 'apples to apples'.
    I've experienced the Zipp wheels - although my buddie's wheels are a few years old now. The ones I've focused on (online) so far, have been Zipp - Mavic - Shimano - and a few other names here and there. I'm definitely not looking for budget wheels. I'm willing to break the bank a little, if it means getting a set that will make a nice difference - as well as last a good long time. I only plan to use them on my bike for the last couple weeks prior to a race - plus the race itself. Otherwise I still like to train with my slower, heavier basic wheels.
    Thoughts?

20. Dec 29, 2015 at 11:08 AM
    Trail_Runner

Trail_Runner Member

Member:
    I guess everyone has a different idea of what a really nice set of wheels is. I'm currently running a set of Reynolds aero wheels and love them. I'm not a really experienced cyclist, but they were hands down a lot faster than the stock wheels that came on my bike. I don't think that I'm ready to step up to the price point where Zipp wheels are at, but check out www.probikekit.com. I bought my full Ultegra group set from them earlier this year. It took a while for shipping, but I couldn't beat the price anywhere.

Tilt likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top