1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cycling (Road Bike) Thread

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by DNG, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Jul 31, 2012 at 3:35 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I'd say road is road and if anything other than road is involved then go hybrid or cross. That would allow for non-pavement on occasion. I want nothing but straight up smooth paved shit on my road bike with least amount of obstacles possible. I am right at 200 and ride 700x25s on my road bike with race xlite triple protection puncture resistant tubed tires with a tire liner. The extra weight is worth not having a flat. The main thing to me on any bike you want to go far on is the seat comfort level and posture. Different things work for different people so experimentation is key.......which usually costs money. Some stuff may seem comfortable for 20-30 miles but after that is where the true test of comfort begins IMO. Don't scoff at having to spend 150 for a seat that is really comfortable. I have not and I don't have a seat that is comfortable for 60+ mile rides. I have tried many up to 100.00.

2. Jul 31, 2012 at 4:12 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I would test ride a few different bikes and see what best fits you and the type of riding you do. Personally, I hate riding my road bike on the paved trail by my house. Too many pavement issues due to tree roots, people walking, etc. Yes, it is safer than on the road but it is not enjoyable.

Bikes also have different geometry. One road bike might work for you where as another may be too leaned over. Try them out.

3. Jul 31, 2012 at 11:17 PM
    chad68

chad68 Master Jedi Member I am...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    In a (Toyota) van down by the river! Sonoma Cownty
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 reg cab. Modded with more to come
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap

I'm 43 years old, 6 foot even and currently about 255lbs. Obviously I'm not built like your typical road biker. I'm actually more of a MTB'er but picked up a road bike to mostly ride the ARBT near Sacramento, which is a dedicated paved bike trail and mix my riding up a bit as to not get bored with riding.

I picked up a new Cannondale Synapse Sora 7 last year. I swapped out some components, mostly for looks and comfort. It came with carbon fiber forks. It was originally a 3x9 but I ditched the front derailer and changed it to a 1x9 as I never used the other 2 sprockets, as there are just rolling hills and I can't peddle out to 40MPH on flats with any ratio. I thought for sure with my big ass the forks would snap like a twig. The second ride I did on that trail I did what I set to do this summer which was a 50+ mile ride (52 actually). Was kinda tired but I could have done a 30 mile ride the next day.

A road bike is waaayy more efficient than my hartail MTB with slicks is.

Another option if you think you would ever ride on anything less than perfect pavement might be a cycle cross bike.

4. Aug 3, 2012 at 9:49 PM
    nelztaco

nelztaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neil
    Levittown, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 SW
    UNDERCOVER, EIBACH COILS, TSB 4 LEAFS, TRD WHEELS, 255/85R16 KM2
    Two of my road bikes.
    [​IMG]

5. Aug 4, 2012 at 5:22 AM
    6spdtaco

6spdtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    nice Pugsley. I'm getting the Moonlander this fall.

6. Aug 5, 2012 at 4:27 PM
    nelztaco

nelztaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neil
    Levittown, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 SW
    UNDERCOVER, EIBACH COILS, TSB 4 LEAFS, TRD WHEELS, 255/85R16 KM2
    ^^ Thanks, it's a moonlander, and you're gonna love it! ^^

7. Aug 23, 2012 at 8:22 PM
    sammy87

sammy87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...untain-owner-who-left-it-there-wants-it-back/

Looks like Lance is throwing in the towel.

Personaly I think he doped, but everyone else was so I dont think he really was cheating. I mean everyone that wins the tour is on something and loses the title. I think this has been a huge waste of tax payer money and will leave a bad mark on one of the largest cancer foundations. I wish the feds would work this hard on more important things. MLB was awesome when everyone was jacked and smashing em out of the park. Now it's just boring.

8. Aug 23, 2012 at 8:24 PM
    RockyMtnTRD

RockyMtnTRD Wanderlust.

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR
    hack job
    Lance never once failed a drug test neither blood or urine during his career...

9. Aug 23, 2012 at 8:28 PM
    FearNothing321

FearNothing321 You gonna eat that taco?

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Audi S3
    He isn't throwing in the towel, "he is just tired of playing their games..."

meh, in 2011 he put in a effort that was equal to his 7 previous title wins...

The man never failed a test, and is one of the most tested athletes out there. The convictions that were made against him, were made by people who had absolutely no credit to their name. This whole charade has been a personal vendetta by the USADA and WADA.

http://lancearmstrong.com/news-events/lance-armstongs-statement-of-august-23-2012

10. Aug 23, 2012 at 9:29 PM
    sammy87

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    It's complete bullshit. Such a waste of govt funds, sports is none of their business. Didn't he come in 2nd or 3rd the yr of his comeback with Astana, and 2nd in the tour de swiss same yr? Dude is a badass. I gotta look it up but somewhere I read he raced the Leadville mtn bike race and shattered the world record by like 20 mins. It's the highest altitude bike race in teh world.

11. Aug 24, 2012 at 4:17 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Yeah Lance, tell them how it is & FUCK YOU USADA!

12. Aug 24, 2012 at 6:56 AM
    elmo7

elmo7 Easily Replaceable Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD OR 4x4
    Just unreal that they have continuously gone after the guy. I mean, how to you sit a the top for so long w/o getting a positive test, yet are still hounded for doping? I'm no medicine geek, and I know there's tricks to try to get around the testing, but when you are a target like he is, you're gonna get busted at some point. But he didn't. The USADA claims says they have people who saw him doping. And, well, that's it. It all boils down to hearsay. So many years past and they continue to want to rip him apart w/o evidence.

Even worse is that we pay for that shit. USADA is tax-payer funded. Now, I ask you, WTF am I doing paying taxes for shit like that? Why does the government have to be involved in sports to that level? IMO, if the sport is corrupted, then those involved w/the sport can clean it up themselves. Let the sponsors pay for that. "This dope free race brought to you by Big-Money-Corporation.'

USADA is a joke. I don't understand the motivation other than to call attention to themselves as "hey, we can take down Lance, so we can take down anyone."

I can't blame Lance. How many more times can he wake up to the press to once again ask "is there a positive test result to discuss here?" If he hasn't been able to be clear of the charges this many years down the road, then he never stood a chance.

13. Aug 24, 2012 at 7:22 AM
    FearNothing321

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Audi S3
    What I find funny is if the UCI vacates his wins, the Yellow Jerseys would go to cyclists who have been found guilty of doping and have served suspensions...

Even the UCI and USA Cycling are on his side saying that the USADA is over-stepping their jurisdiction in the charges they have made.

14. Aug 24, 2012 at 8:17 AM
    sammy87

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    Even if he did dope, everyone else did. His teammates all admitted to it, so he wasn't cheating anyone. He still is a machine, and a role model for cancer patients. Give him a break.

Why does the USADA even exists? Why are we paying for it? What a fuckin joke! It's one asshole that was a failed athlete that has a vendetta against Lance. He is the one that has been pushing this. Just to make a name for himself. I cant remember his name, but he will be remembered as teh modern day Robert Ford.

15. Aug 24, 2012 at 8:24 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    And you have some guy at the WADA siding with USADA saying USADA did not overstep their bounds. What a pile of shit waste of time and money. They should have caught it at time of all the other tests he passed & they should just fuck off and leave him alone, quit trying to rewrite history & focus on the present. Seems they plenty to focus on right now with all the people failing but no, let's go fuck with someone who passed all their testing years ago. Stupid nonsense. Nothing but people getting caught now trying to get out of it by accusing others. I agree with Lance completely on his comments concerning not backing their own testing and not abiding by their own rules. Would appreciate all these type fuckheads just jacking off in the privacy of their own homes instead of jacking off in a public forum at the expense of taxpayers & past champions in some witch hunt targeting session for their errant loads. Please refer to sig below for further opinion of WADA & USADA.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

16. Aug 24, 2012 at 8:28 AM
    FearNothing321

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Audi S3
    Travis Tygart, dude is a dumbass
    yep USADA is a waste of Tax payer money

17. Aug 24, 2012 at 8:44 AM
    Aggiesdm

Aggiesdm Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD OR 4X4
    SnugTop topper, WeatherTec mats, thats all for now
    I have a Cannondale Slice which is my Tri/TT bike and then a Cannondale Synapse for my roadie. I'm wanting to sell the Synapse and upgrade to a Super Six, but not til the Spring.

By the way, these are pics from Ironman Arizona in 2011 and Ironman Couer d'Alene in 2009.

IMG_0570.jpg
    DSC01648.jpg

18. Aug 25, 2012 at 6:14 AM
    greenrustic

greenrustic Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4 TRD SPORT
    Access LTD Tonneau Cover, Weather Tech Digital Fit Mats, Weather Tech Rain Guards, 35% Tint up Front, AFE Dry Power Intake Filter, Debadged, GrilleCraft, OME 884x, OME 9000 NitroChargers, Icon 3 Leaf Progressive AAL
  19. Aug 25, 2012 at 6:23 AM
    6spdtaco

6spdtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco

Do yourself a favor and visit your LBS. Don't buy on the interwebz. Support Local!

20. Aug 25, 2012 at 6:50 AM
    greenrustic

greenrustic Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4 TRD SPORT
    Access LTD Tonneau Cover, Weather Tech Digital Fit Mats, Weather Tech Rain Guards, 35% Tint up Front, AFE Dry Power Intake Filter, Debadged, GrilleCraft, OME 884x, OME 9000 NitroChargers, Icon 3 Leaf Progressive AAL
    Sounds great but if I can save hundreds of dollars it sounds even better!

Products Discussed in

To Top