1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

cylinder 1 and 4 misfire help!!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Instant, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Dec 12, 2018 at 7:29 PM
    Instant

Instant [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Vehicle:
    98 single cab short bed Tacoma 2.7 4x4
    2 inch lift
    So tested compression today along with fuel injectors and comes our first cylinder is barely pumping 30psi on the last stroke. The guy helping me said if I got head and everything rebuilt would put to much stress on lower unit. Said it would be more beneficial to put a new engine with the amount of miles on the truck. Anyone know how much truth there is to this and what my best options are?

2. Dec 12, 2018 at 7:51 PM
    UnderFire

UnderFire Well-Known Member

Member:
    It really depends on how healthy the bottom end actually is. From the sounds of it you probably lost the head gasket between cylinder 1 and the water jacket, most common spot from my experience.

It doesn't necessarily put more stress than stock on the components in the bottom end fixing the head gasket and rebuilding the head, but if your engine wasn't well maintained it may be on its last legs as far as bearings or rings go.

From what I've seen a fully rebuilt 3RZ is usually in the neighborhood of $2,000 out the door, and I know that rebuilding a head can get expensive alone as well. Our engines like to develop cracks between the valve seats and spark plug holes, more than likely your head will have the problem. That'll add a quick $300-400 getting them fixed or buying a new bare head. That's on top of the $3-400 valve job and machine work

So if you're paying for labor to fix the truck, and it's your only vehicle, it may be close enough to a wash price-wise to go ahead and pull the trigger on a freshly rebuilt engine.

3. Dec 12, 2018 at 7:57 PM
    Instant

Instant [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Vehicle:
    98 single cab short bed Tacoma 2.7 4x4
    2 inch lift
    The man helping me said it was my exhaust valve that went out. I was gonna buy a new tacoma but decided to just work on this one because it was well maintained. I just put over 2k in the front end new tires and a couple other misc parts. I have no problem paying to get the whole engine rebuilt I would prefer do that. The problem is I live in central texas and could had to resort to the Toyota delarship closest to me just to have the front wheel bearing pressed into my knuckle. I don't know of any good shops that would dive in rebuild it and me feel completely comfortable. If cant find reasonable mechanic I would be willing to sell the truck if it still holds decent value and buy a little newer one (;

4. Dec 12, 2018 at 8:05 PM
    UnderFire

UnderFire Well-Known Member

Member:
    When we're doing a rebuilt transmission or engine we usually prefer to order in one from a company that'll provide a warranty as a CYA measure. I've seen rebuilders in this area offering 3 year warranties so I'd see if you can fine one around you, they usually advertise on Craigslist. Luckily it's a pretty simple job to swap out the engine, so any competent shop should be able to do it for you.

Too bad you're not up here in the PNW, I've actually been looking for another RZ single cab that needs some work to pick up since my brother totalled my old truck last year.

5. Dec 12, 2018 at 8:06 PM
    DeltaBravo

DeltaBravo Do you know what nemesis means?

Member:
    First Name:
    Waste Management's residential dumpster rental allows you to quickly find the right size dumpster for your project, schedule delivery and pay, all in just a few steps.
    Vehicle:
    The vehicle commonly referred to as "The War Rig" is a 78 foot 18 wheeler based on a Tatra T815
    ...did you try turning it off and back on again?

6. Dec 13, 2018 at 12:46 PM
    Glamisman

Glamisman Well-Known Member

Member:
    post some pics of her inside and out... like the UnderFire said, people are always looking for their next project truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top