1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cynicalriders "J0hnny5 is ALIVE!" 01 build thread.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by cynicalrider, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Jan 23, 2018 at 1:29 PM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider [OP] #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 TRD 4x4, '23 Bronco Wildtrak, 2017 HSQV FE350
    Drop bracket lift and booger welds
    Yeah for the east coast park stuff, something like this isn't bad. But if I want to do trips out in NH/VT or a multi day multi state run that I have planned for PA/VA/WV I think something like that would be severely limiting for me. I like everything contained, preferably in the bed which is why I have gone the route I have for so long. But I do agree this is a serious fear for me. Not so much the departure angle because I want to mount the tire and cans pretty high, but the worry of backing the can holder or tire into shit on the super tight stuff. Even still though, I think the benefits of clearing bed space out weighs the risk.

Yeah but look at my CO2 currently.

[​IMG]DSC08363 by Michael Halat, on Flickr

And earlier I mentioned that can go down almost 4". and if I removed the handle another 2" or so. At that point I will be almost around the same height as @nw_chris 's or maybe just a touch higher. Not a bad height really. You have a 20lb right? So yours probably is a ton taller than my 10lb'er. The only downside to building the tilt function is the added weight of extra materials, but I think the tilt function out weighs the weight added.

I seriously love your rack design though. Super simple and clean. Do you still keep the spare under the bed I am assuming?

2. Jan 23, 2018 at 1:31 PM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider [OP] #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Also all this swing out/bed rack talk makes my rig feel so "expo". Yuck. :cookiemonster:

malburg114 likes this.
  3. Jan 23, 2018 at 1:33 PM
    nw_chris

nw_chris Outside Everyday

Member:
    Albany, OR
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB TRD-OR
    Yea, when I boxed in the rear frame rails I modified the factory under bed tire carrier to fit. There just wasn’t room in the bed and I didn’t want a swing out. Plus weight lower down is a win.

4. Jan 23, 2018 at 1:35 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.

ahhhh 10lb bottle. Yeah i have 20lb haha assumed you did as 10lb can't last that long with 35s.

Yeah you should be fine then.

pff. Nothing wrong with user friendly and simple haha

yeaaaahhh....35s won't fit down there....haha

another reason to stay with smaller tires i guess.

5. Jan 23, 2018 at 1:39 PM
    nw_chris

nw_chris Outside Everyday

Member:
    Albany, OR
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB TRD-OR
    As much as I love 35’s I’ll stick with 33’s because of that and having to do gears, harder on the front axles (mine are manual hub so even weaker), tubbing and so on... aka I’m just a puss I guess haha

6. Jan 23, 2018 at 1:40 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    nah. Most don't need them. 33s and some good skids will go a LONG ways. Further then most people push them.

Not worth it for most for many reasons.

That said, i still love having them.

7. Jan 23, 2018 at 1:55 PM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider [OP] #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    You'd be surprised with the 10lb actually! It lasted the entire Moab trip and I finally just kicked it last weekend. Thankfully I have my CKMA-12 as backup. :thumbsup:

More vid's from this Saturday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEQd-as3VJw

The one slide at 2:30 caught me by surprise.

Tatts521 and Lux like this.
  8. Jan 23, 2018 at 1:59 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    my 20lb last a year or more. filling up 35s with an air compressor sucks haha

9. Jan 23, 2018 at 4:02 PM
    Sacrifice

Sacrifice Motorcycle Goon

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    KS
    Vehicle:
    DCSB OR 4X4 LT
    Pelfreybilt Front Bumper,BAMF sliders, Airflow Snorkel,Mini D2S Retrofits, ADS Rear Shocks, Deaver U402 Leafsprings, 35s, AllPro +2LT
    jerry can holder will pose the biggest risk to catching on things. @inv3ctiv3 hit his on the ground when it dipped then went back up. if that makes sense. and @ChandlerDOOM couldnt get through a ravine for lack of better term because it would have torn them off as well.

i did it with the stock hitch on though :crapstorm:

10. Jan 23, 2018 at 6:04 PM
    Lux

Lux @jamesgrouss

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2001 tacoma sr5 4x4
    OME 3" lift 881 coils, Dakar's 33" General Grabber AT2's TG low profile front bumper
    I mustve missed that slide, Im surprised you felt it go and didnt hit the gas right off the bat lol

11. Jan 24, 2018 at 5:10 AM
    Wheelspinner

Wheelspinner Coco Customs

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    '13 4x4x4cyl
    You can hear me yelling to go lol. He did a panic chicken wing then the driverside tires lifted

Lux[QUOTED] and V5ioV like this.
  12. Jan 24, 2018 at 5:38 AM
    V5ioV

V5ioV My drinking team has a wheeling problem

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    King 2.5 Rem Resi Ext Travel w/comp adj w/700# springs, TC Uni-Ball UCAs, ARB/OME Dakar Leaf Springs w/ King 2.5 Rem Resi w/comp adj and custm eyelets, Stealth Custom Series F-5 Wheels wrapped on: 285/75/16 Fierce Attitudes, BORA 2.25 wheel spacers, GOODRIDGE extended Brake lines, Triple-6" Double Row LED Light Bars behind lower grill, ATFL MOD, TRD Ball Type Shift Knob, Husky WeatherBeater Floor Liners, 60'' HiLift Xtreme, 4xInnovations Bolt-On Sliders w/Kickout, Spring Hanger Skid, Custom BlackPipe Fabs CMC and custom FYL Bed Rack, CVT Mt. Shasta RTT, Trasharoo, 4xInnovations HiLift Bedside Mounts, 4xInnovations Front Skid Plate, TOYWERX Ghost Raptor thin-lip Satoshi Grill, RedLine Hood Struts, 4xInnovations Transmission Skid and T-Case Skid Plates, Wheelers Rear SuperBumps Bump Stops, All-Pro Off Road U-Bolt Flip Kit, UltraGauge, ARB OBA, Pelfreybilt HC rear Bumper, Rotopax system (Single Mounting Plate and Bed Rail Mounting Plate both with LOX handles.
    He wasn't going anywhere tho... he didn't have to gun it

13. Jan 24, 2018 at 5:52 AM
    Wheelspinner

Wheelspinner Coco Customs

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    '13 4x4x4cyl
    I didn’t want to wait to find that out if it wasn’t the case lol

V5ioV[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Jan 24, 2018 at 5:54 AM
    V5ioV

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    King 2.5 Rem Resi Ext Travel w/comp adj w/700# springs, TC Uni-Ball UCAs, ARB/OME Dakar Leaf Springs w/ King 2.5 Rem Resi w/comp adj and custm eyelets, Stealth Custom Series F-5 Wheels wrapped on: 285/75/16 Fierce Attitudes, BORA 2.25 wheel spacers, GOODRIDGE extended Brake lines, Triple-6" Double Row LED Light Bars behind lower grill, ATFL MOD, TRD Ball Type Shift Knob, Husky WeatherBeater Floor Liners, 60'' HiLift Xtreme, 4xInnovations Bolt-On Sliders w/Kickout, Spring Hanger Skid, Custom BlackPipe Fabs CMC and custom FYL Bed Rack, CVT Mt. Shasta RTT, Trasharoo, 4xInnovations HiLift Bedside Mounts, 4xInnovations Front Skid Plate, TOYWERX Ghost Raptor thin-lip Satoshi Grill, RedLine Hood Struts, 4xInnovations Transmission Skid and T-Case Skid Plates, Wheelers Rear SuperBumps Bump Stops, All-Pro Off Road U-Bolt Flip Kit, UltraGauge, ARB OBA, Pelfreybilt HC rear Bumper, Rotopax system (Single Mounting Plate and Bed Rail Mounting Plate both with LOX handles.
    From your angle of vjew I totally agree

15. Jan 24, 2018 at 5:56 AM
    V5ioV

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    I take this opportunity to say that it was pretty cool wheeling on a 1st gen. I see the the benefits of the smaller body

16. Jan 24, 2018 at 5:56 AM
    V5ioV

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    Fit erriwueah

17. Jan 24, 2018 at 6:18 AM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider [OP] #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    As many shitty off camber situations I have put myself in, I still have not gotten the instinct yet to hit the gas when shit starts going south. Every time it goes that way it takes someone yelling to punch it for it to register. It happened on Moab Rim with @Sub-Zero and it happened again with @Wheelspinner. The only time it was more instinctual was backing out of the shit spot I got in on that climb Saturday, and that was after I was already in it and had a moment to think.

:cool: :cheers:

@Sacrifice I plan on mounting the Jerry's high, similar to Mike's truck Monte posted (the red one). I want them to be higher than the spare since they will stick out further.

Lux[QUOTED] and V5ioV[QUOTED] like this.
  18. Jan 24, 2018 at 10:00 AM
    Reh5108

Reh5108 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 4X4 2.7L Extra Cab
    OME lift, 4x sliders, Demello rear bumper, custom front bumper, Engo 9000lb winch
    Did this thread just go EAF?

Don't forget about utilizing that empty space where the spare used to be.

Justinogo and BYJOSHCOOK like this.
  19. Jan 24, 2018 at 11:11 AM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider [OP] #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    I't looking that way. I need to do a mock up up what I am considering doing in the future, but honestly I don't think I'll be seeing these large of changes for a year or more. I think to do changes this big I need a welder so I can work through it all.

But this is the ideal setup I am seeing so far in my head:

[​IMG]mockup by Michael Halat, on Flickr

I also toyed with canvas sides of the bedrack, but with the rack that height it seems like it would be less of an issue. But you could essentially could run a piece of canvas over the rack with snaps on the bedsides. Pop the snaps and open the bed rack. It won't be water or dust proof, but would help with some moisture.

Also in this mock up I have the tool box raised in heigh with the bed rack. Always played with this idea for extra space under the box. Ideally a second battery would be placed in one corner and an ammo can for recovery gear or jack stand in the other.

Of course I don't have the mock up of the swing out on here yet, but wanted to see how weir a bed rack + tool box would look since not many people run it.

Oh and here's a video of that Jeep recovery from the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkbbxEIuiBg

Watch for flying ice chunks at 1:05.

Subway4X4 likes this.
  20. Jan 24, 2018 at 11:19 AM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    adding canvas is what i'll be doing to my bed rack 2.0 that lifts if i end up not liking the wildernest. Not really for rain, but for mud.

Products Discussed in

To Top