1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cynicalriders "J0hnny5 is ALIVE!" 01 build thread.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by cynicalrider, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Jan 6, 2020 at 9:29 AM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider [OP] #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 TRD 4x4, '23 Bronco Wildtrak, 2017 HSQV FE350
    Drop bracket lift and booger welds
    Well it's been a while since I posted an update. After the shocks got all figured out, I placed the order and then should be here in a couple of weeks. In the mean time I slapped the truck back together for some wheeling, but not before I put together the mod of bringing the OG J0hnny5 look back.

I finally got some LED spots for behind the grill again.

[​IMG]Untitled by Michael Halat, on Flickr

I basically used 7" spots and the BAMF behind the grill light bar mount. Of course I needed to run it higher than it was intended to be mounted so I needed to grind a bunch of it and bend my hood latch pretty significantly to make it work. But it does and I'm stoked about it.

Here is a video of them in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XzdezVBCS4

After that I got the skids back on and went on a day trip with @Rockbaron1 to North Jersey. It was an icy day. We spent a large portion of it trying to find new stuff, and found an obstacle that I'd like to try in the summer/dry, but I would not attempt with as much as as there was.

Some photos:

I slid into this position and opted to winch, very off camber and no traction.

Also took out a bunch of trash while I was there.

I did get some time to relax over the break too, it's been much needed. I am hoping to clean and organize the shop a little more. I love it for function but also love it for a place to hang out too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSwHpR6fsA4

I also managed to pick up an awesome MIG setup with Ant so I didn't get murdered by someone on Facebook Marketplace. Came with the tank and cart too, I was pretty happy about it.

After that I started working on some little projects I've had on the list for a while.

I used it to do two projects already, one was a trail trophy and another an extension cord holder for the welder.

Ever since I got the stick welder, I have run an extension cord to get the 220 wherever I needed it in the garage. The biggest thing I hated about it though was the cable would sit on the floor and take up precious floor space. So i figured I would go to home depot, get a simple garden hose holder and call it good. But all the holders looked weak to me, except this one:

$30 for an aluminum holder that looks like it belongs on Bam Margera's belt buckle according to @Chux .

As I walked out of the store, I was like this is fucking dumb, I can build something, I have a welder now. So I dug through my scrap metal, concepted a design and went to work. The back is made of a sheet of 3/16", the front is 20ga sheet metal leftover from tubbing, and the square tube is 1/16" wall that I had from relocating the exhaust on the 50.

It came out a touch oblong because the bucket I used was oblong :rolleyes: I was pissed about that.

The back is structural:

And holds the weight, while the front just keeps the cable from accidentally sliding off.

Had to relearn a bunch of geometry for that design too.

And here it is all done with the new machine:

[​IMG]IMG_4645 by Michael Halat, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_4640 by Michael Halat, on Flickr

I also made a new trophy for the CV I broke at NTC Takeover 2018.

[​IMG]IMG_4634 by Michael Halat, on Flickr

It's actually welded up to the old wheel bearing I swapped right before NH too and can spin.

I also followed @Chux and @Wheelspinner's guides on how to refill the 1lb propane tanks, and was successful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhFqF8U7Rkc

Oh and this bad boy came in the mail too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpwmvBH4W8Q

The future plans are minor for now, get out and use it when I can, get the new shocks on, maybe build the glare shield if I have time. Currently doing an overhaul inside the house so that's taking priority.

Wifey also got me some stuff for Christmas for the future:

A dry bag to try to get my entire sleep system into one bag and into the bed. The goal is to wrap the sleeping bag, foam base, and mattress pad all at once, stuff it into the bag and go instead of wrapping/stuffing 3 things individually. Will cut setup and pack up time down. The ammo cans will be used in the future to eliminate the tool box. Lots of stuff to come, it never ends.

2. Jan 9, 2020 at 10:02 AM
    ToyRyd04

ToyRyd04 Taco Transformer

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Perryville, MD
    Vehicle:
    '04 PreRunner
    SAS'd PreRunner Diamond Axles Crawlbox
    Nice 220v welder Mike! more mig less stick should be fun on alot of new projects.

jubei likes this.
  3. Jan 9, 2020 at 11:52 AM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider [OP] #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! Yeah I sold the stick for $200, so $140 profit. Can't complain and opened some garage space. If I need to do really thick stuff, I'll pick up some flux-core. But I think I can do 3/16" in a single pass with MIG on .035 wire on my machine. More than powerful enough for the truck stuff.

HomerTaco and jubei like this.
  4. Feb 3, 2020 at 7:26 PM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider [OP] #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Gotta catch up on some maintenance. I think my dust cover experiment failed miserably, and potentially blew my passenger wheel bearing.

Also after some discussions with @BYJOSHCOOK and @slander im pretty sure this is the fan clutch bracket.

https://youtu.be/PBo9kNHy1g4

5. Feb 3, 2020 at 7:38 PM
    slander

slander Honorary Crawl Boi

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma, fixed with curse words.
    Sounds like mine. I used to tell people it was a supercharger. Between that and the counterhsaft bearing screaming on my old 5spd it was plausable!!

6. Feb 4, 2020 at 10:01 AM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider [OP] #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Oh and I am getting a P1135 error now so it seems I need to replace the upstream o2 sensor as well...

So I'm looking at:

DENSO 2349003 {#8946734011, 8946735021} Info
    Upstream; Manual trans.

AISIN FCT013 {#0892104950, 1621062010, 1621062011} Info
    w/ Tow Package

AISINFBT004 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers

Expensive maintenance catch up, and thats not counting the front wheel bearing. :bananadead:

ToyRyd04 likes this.
  7. Feb 4, 2020 at 10:06 AM
    nzbrock

nzbrock Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers Wheeler's 5 Leaf + 3 AAL Bilstein 5100s LCE long tube header Flowmaster Delta 50 Muffler FJ Trail Team Wheels 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx 4Runner overhead sunglass console 4Runner leather seats All LED lights Red/Clear Tail Light Tundra Brakes HID Projector Retrofits 4Runner Auto Up/Down Windows Bullet Liner Cargo tie down system E-locker axle swap w/4.56 Gears ARE MX Cap Prinsu Toprac Custom heated turn signal/puddle light mirrors Volant Intake Tube
    There's a "used" Aisin fan clutch on Amazon under $50 https://amzn.to/39b6rsb

8. Feb 4, 2020 at 10:15 AM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider [OP] #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
  9. Feb 4, 2020 at 10:30 AM
    nzbrock

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers Wheeler's 5 Leaf + 3 AAL Bilstein 5100s LCE long tube header Flowmaster Delta 50 Muffler FJ Trail Team Wheels 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx 4Runner overhead sunglass console 4Runner leather seats All LED lights Red/Clear Tail Light Tundra Brakes HID Projector Retrofits 4Runner Auto Up/Down Windows Bullet Liner Cargo tie down system E-locker axle swap w/4.56 Gears ARE MX Cap Prinsu Toprac Custom heated turn signal/puddle light mirrors Volant Intake Tube
    Anything that is tagged as used by Amazon warehouse, usually just means that it was returned or damaged in shipping.

I posted this in the amazon deals thread but:

Used - Like New = someone returned it and it's fine
    Used - Very Good = someone either opened it and returned it, or the packaging got damaged
    Used - Good = some sort of damage, usually cosmetic
    Used - Acceptable = damaged, but still usable. This is obviously the worst condition, but they are still usually fine.

I have ordered things in all categories and never really had any issues. It's amazon, so you can always return it for free if it doesn't work.
    Obviously car parts are a little tricky, but if you have a way to test it then you should be good. You can even install the fan clutch and see if it works correctly, if it doesn't just return it. I know that adds a bunch of time, but it's basically half off.

10. Feb 4, 2020 at 11:32 AM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider [OP] #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Yeah that makes me nervous as shit lol I can't afford to do things twice right now, especially for a thing that might cause me to overheat.

11. Feb 4, 2020 at 11:47 AM
    slander

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    Just get a new OEM one and dont worry for another 150k.

12. Feb 4, 2020 at 11:50 AM
    nzbrock

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    The aisin one is OEM, just not branded Toyota.

13. Feb 4, 2020 at 12:11 PM
    slander

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    I know that's what I meant.

14. Feb 4, 2020 at 12:39 PM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider [OP] #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I ordered that list form Rock Auto for about $300. More than I wanted to spend for maintenance right now but I got a trip to VT in March I need the truck ready for.

slander likes this.
  15. Feb 5, 2020 at 9:03 AM
    BYJOSHCOOK

BYJOSHCOOK Mr. Mojo Risin

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Woodstock and Alpharetta Ga
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 4WD Lunar Mist
    Check Out My Builds
    Sounds like one to me. I got mine from rock auto for $100 something IIRC. It’s whatever the AISIN one was

16. Feb 21, 2020 at 2:07 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Mike, do you feel you got what you asked for? More aggressive valving?

Where did you get yours? From ADS directly or did you go thru Matt and MCM Fab or Headstrong?

17. Feb 21, 2020 at 2:39 PM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider [OP] #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Funny you should ask. I literally just had these come in today.

DC868A59-976E-433C-959E-A08E5E5EE349.jpg

In the beginning I thought going through ADS was my best course of action. I was sold on the idea of getting the top out protection that they introduced in all the 2nd/3rd gen shocks and I would be one of the first first gens to have it. I did later learn I would lose 1/2” of travel at the wheel to do so, but I still felt it was the best route to go since they said a strapped setup would make me lose more travel. The problem was with KOH, something happening to Tyler personally, and miscommunication it took 2 months to get my shocks. When I got the shocks in, I saw they had 700lb springs on it. This of course worried the shit out of me because almost no first gen’s run 700’s. I call Tyler to ask if this was in error and he said no he did it on purpose. He said that based on what I told him on how I use my truck (I want to drive extremely aggressively when I can off-road) and with my weight (5k unloaded) that he felt the 700’s would work better for me rather than overly preloading 650’s. He said if they feel too stiff to back the preload off and I should be good. I am still obviously skeptical but he’s the shock guy so he should know better.

So in the end the custom work done is:
    Aggressively valved (we’ll see)
    Different hose/resi configuration based on measurements/fitment I did to clear 35’s
    Top out protection

The thing is I won’t know till I get them on and really beat on them. I told him I did not care as much as on road softness, I just don’t want a shock that will fail me off-road.

But after all this, I find myself wishing I went to @TMFF because he knows first gens in and out and was giving me advice every step of the way. I know when it comes time for rebuilds, I’ll be going to Tim for the rebuilds 100% and wish I got the shocks valved through him in the first place if you want something custom.

rngr, TMFF and jubei like this.
  18. Feb 21, 2020 at 3:01 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Wow, that has already been an adventure and they aren't even mounted yet.

It is nteresting that Tyler recommends 700s. I run those on my Kings now but I am very heavy. And I always get a ration of crap from all the guys about having 700 lb coils on my firsty.

Speaking of extended lengths... What do those measure from the top of the top hat to the ~center of the lower shock mount?

I will look forward to hearing the tale of what your impressions are, both immediate and longer term.

19. Feb 21, 2020 at 3:34 PM
    eimkeith

eimkeith Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J Keith
    Vehicle:
    '96 4Runner, '03 Taco
    compressed/extended lengths of the ADS?

20. Feb 21, 2020 at 6:52 PM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider [OP] #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    top of the top hat to the center of the lower shock mount is 19 3/4”.

this is something I don’t have exact numbers for. I’d be interested if someone does.

Also in case I haven’t posted it in here before, these are the measurements I got with my uca setup (icons with delta joints) with stock lca’s.

Driver: 19 7/8" before CV boot rubs, and 20 1/4" before the CV binds.

Passenger: 20 1/2" before CV boot rubs, and 20 3/8" before the CV binds.

I thought it was interesting that the drivers side binds/rubs faster than my passenger side. I assume this might be my alignment setup? Not sure.

Digiratus[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top