1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dad's Gonna Buy Son new Tacoma as a College Grad. Gift - Learning

Discussion in 'New Members' started by rewillia, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Sep 30, 2009 at 10:20 AM
    rewillia

rewillia [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Lake Charles, LA
    Vehicle:
    ISO Advice/Suggestions/Learnings
    Not Purchased Yet - Obtaining advice from this forum and its members
    New Member, I'm a dad planning to purchase a new 2010 Tacome 7188, 2X2 4-Dr. Dbl Cabin for my 25 y/o son who graduates from college on Dec. 12th.

I know that the Tacoma is a generally a good product and so I have confidence that it will deliver good service to him. My interest by joining your forum is to gain insight (learn) as to options I should (or should not consider, be they Toyota OE, Dealer installed or Aftermarket). I also plan to have the truck "semi-tricked out for him" by a) selecting the right OE pkg, i.e. TRD, Sport, etc., upgrading/changing out the OE stereo system to a high end Nav/Audio/DVD/MP3-4 system with 6-8 speakers +sub, leather seating surface upgrade on all seating surfaces and door panels, suede headliner and visors, fiberglass bed cover and bed liner, extender, skid plate, 17' wheels and All terrain tires.

Want to visit hear read about and learn what other owner's have done to theirs....

Also interested to hear from any members in the SWLA to E-Texas area who have purchased locally and want to recommend a dealer (of course I'll be looking for a decent deal on the vehicle outright). Also any recommendations for the uphosterly and/or stereo upgrades work.

So please if you have something to share, let me know...meanwhile I'll be reading away and likely asking a few questions.

I.e - is the Toyota Factory extended warranty a good deal (your observations/lessons learned?)

2. Sep 30, 2009 at 10:44 AM
    rob1

rob1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    Indigo Blue DblCab 4X4 Long Bed TRD Sport SR5
    Tail gate mod, locking gas cap, locking spare tire, rear spring tsb,Weathertech Digital fit's
    Welcome to TW, from deep south Texas!!! You may want to look into getting him a 4x4, TRD Sport Package. I have one and love the ride.
    By the way I'm up for adoption!:D...lol

3. Sep 30, 2009 at 10:45 AM
    SACTOWN

SACTOWN ???????????????????????

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    '18 ZR2, 04 Rubicon, &19 lx570
    Welcome and good luck to you all!!! Found the right place with a bunch of good guys!! I would personally go all after market and do it yourself.
    It would be cool to buy it and do the upgrades with your son so he could learn what the truck has to offer. I am pretty sure that he will like the fact that you want to share something like that with him! I also know that there are guys/gals down there in LA to help out!! Good luck

4. Sep 30, 2009 at 10:49 AM
    1337Taco

1337Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 Manual
    First of all, welcome!

Now to answer some of your questions.

The package that comes with the 17" stock rims would be the TRD sport. You could then upgrade the tires to something like BFG All Terrains, Nitto, or something else in the AT category.

As for the seat upgrades you might want to check out Wet Okole. You can check out this group buy LINK for some information and pictures.

To upgrade the stereo you can probably just take it to a car audio shop locally, but the space where you have to put the amp and sub is very thin so you have to have a custom box built to fit behind the seats. Check out one of tacomaworlds vendors, Mr. Marv for this.

I'm sure others will chime in with some advice as well. :)

5. Sep 30, 2009 at 10:53 AM
    gupster88

gupster88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Grey Off Road
    Stock
    great info 707! welcome to tw. there are plenty of sources on here to give you the insight you need. your son is lucky!!!

6. Sep 30, 2009 at 10:55 AM
    jefferson

jefferson needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    I'd say do the TRD sport package.. but you just mentioned you might want to recover the seats.. I've heard some members special ordering their seats to come in leather (our members from canada have the option of leather and seat warmers!) so you may want to look into that. I have the navi/dvd player touch screen style stereo and have been very pleased with the way it looks and acts. Just make sure and find one that can have a sellection of colors considering our stock interior lamps are a pretty ugly shade of orange. (i like my lamps to all match.. no orange/blue/whatever for me!) and make sure he gets the IPod hookups.. he'll dig that.

for suspension, at the least make sure to get the bilsteen 5100s. they really make the ride amazing. and find out more about the rear spring TSB that was issued.. i dunno if you can do it for the 2010s... but it would be worth looking into. if you cant, i ahve a spare extra spring i can sell ya! ;)

good luck and welcome to the forum

7. Sep 30, 2009 at 10:57 AM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    your an awesome dad, I got 100 bucks for graduating then bought my truck myself

8. Sep 30, 2009 at 11:00 AM
    jefferson

jefferson needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    i got a eurorail pass and a plane ticket into germany (right on time for oktoberfest) and a flight out of rome a month later. That was pretty pimp. BUT its all in what your parents can do.

it coulda been worse.. they coulda changed the locks and said "You're college educated - get out!!" ;)

9. Sep 30, 2009 at 11:03 AM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    Welcome to TW. Your son is a lucky guy!

I have just a small bit of advice. Do not buy the Toyota hood bug shield. They are known to dig into the paint. If you want a bug shield go aftermarket.

10. Sep 30, 2009 at 11:03 AM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    yeah my parents have made me work for everything my whole life and I love them for it, would do the same to my child, you dont respect something unless you have had to work for it

11. Sep 30, 2009 at 11:04 AM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    Just my fatherly opinion Rick, but if I was you - and I'm not - I would help him buy it, but ensure he had some part in making the payments. After graduation, nothing should be free. But you love him and it's hard not to want to help him in his first steps.....I completely understand. I have a 2006 SR5 4x4, thus far, not one single fault or problem. Nada.

12. Sep 30, 2009 at 11:05 AM
    yotarob2005

yotarob2005 Kiss My IFS

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Bryan , Tx
    Vehicle:
    05 D-cab trd sport long bed
    Front Bilstien 5100's Set @ 1.75", rear 5100's & TSB springs, Flowmaster, TRD seat covers, Toyota All weather floor mats, 265/70-17 Michelin LTX AT2's, some Debadgeding, BHLM, led bed lights, 886 back up lights, fog lights anytime mod, Extra d-rings, Toyota bed mat, sockmoney TRD decals, Kenwood 890DNX, Firestone ride-rite air bags, 2 car seats.
    TRD sport 4X4! YOU ARE THE COOLEST DAD EVER.

13. Sep 30, 2009 at 6:08 PM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter
    hello & welcome to TW.

Products Discussed in

To Top