1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dam jbl upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by EGtaco, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Mar 2, 2010 at 3:31 PM
    EGtaco

EGtaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma
    I got the "upgraded" JBL system in my 09 taco and just upgraded everything. Talk about a pain in the arse!!!! I pulled out the stock speakers and replaced the doors with new 6 1/2" coax and a new JL 8" w3 with a fosgate amp running the woofer. Took out the factory amp and put it all back together. Well gee gues what the door speakers run off that crappy factory amp so no sound came out. Had to go back and hook the door speakers back up to the factory amp because I did not have time to rewire everything.

This is just a rant....the JBL system is such a pain int he ass to replace and since I really am not farmiliar with the install it took forever!!!!! Stuff happens I guess. Maybe next weekend I will rewire the door speakers. Since I have a Kenwood DNX8120 I am not going to run an amp and same a couple bucks.

2. Mar 2, 2010 at 4:08 PM
    azTRD

azTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
  3. Mar 2, 2010 at 4:22 PM
    only_K

only_K Future Owner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    Currently searching for dream truck...
    TBD
    yea ive heard any upgraded stock system is always hard to customize. my friend has the bose system in his tahoe and its hard for him to figure it out.

4. Mar 3, 2010 at 11:32 AM
    EGtaco

EGtaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma
    I think that adap[ter is used for the HU which I installed about a year ago. I just dont want to rewire all the speakers but I might have to if it will sound better without using the jbl amp. My HU has more power than that POS amp.

5. Mar 3, 2010 at 1:36 PM
    07TacoRidah

07TacoRidah SHHHH, this is interesting

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Base Model Access Cab
    Engine bay: aFe Pro Dry filter Secondary air filter deleted Sokie Tech hood damper kit OReiley battery terminals Big 3 upgrade (0g wiring) 2012 Headlight swap HID kit (headlight 6k/fog light 3k) Sylvania Zevo LED turn signals w/hyper flash resistors Rear back up light GY6 bulb Bullz Audio 0g wire Exterior: Dynamik Retro Projector style headlight housing Depo Euro Black Altezza LED tails 2012 front grill/bumper cover w/ fog light and hood swap Rear bumper swap (to chrome, painted w/bedliner paint) 99 Cents Store tailgate lock Suspension: XR Bilsteins Universal Air Suspension strut bag Custom UCA's DJM 4" rear drop kit 1" spindle spacer kit 4x4 leaf pack swap (middle leaf removed) Air Lift rear helper springs 4 Siria (Asco) 3/8" air valves 3 gallon air tank 1/4' air lines 90's Acura Integra door switches to air valves ViAir 450 air compressor Rims: 18x10 Work VS-KF front w/5" lip 18x11 Work VS-KF rear w/6" lip 225/40/18 tires all around Sick Speed 3 piece spike lug nuts Pepboys valve stem caps 1" wheel spacers all around Interior: Wink Mirror rear view Center console lid fabric Metra Dash kit Kenwood bluetooth headunit Hifonics Zeus ZXi 6410 PB 6 1/2" component speakers up front 10" single Hifonics subwoofer 10" sealed angled box Katana shift knob
    I see a lot of stuff still on back order, last time I wanted a 8" dual ported box from them which was out of stock for a bit and when I emailed them they restocked it within maybe a week or two.

... think you may need to email them and they will restock it. :confused:

6. Mar 3, 2010 at 1:38 PM
    azTRD

azTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    If you want to keep the factory wiring, there is also a JBL amp bypass harness.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...oogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=froogle

I've never used this before, but I'm assuming this harness runs from your HU back to where the JBL amp is located and the factory speaker wiring (all of the truck's speakers are wired back to that amp, so that is where you would tie into the factory speaker wiring). It looks like this harness would provide that connection and allow you to bypass the amp.

7. Mar 3, 2010 at 1:45 PM
    azTRD

azTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    If you are going to put in an aftermarket amp... this is the harness I used to bring power, ground, and switched power to my HU.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12708_Metra+70-8113.html

I cut off all of the wires that I didn't need (including the RCA connectors) and was left with the 3 wires I needed. It was a cheap (inexpensive) solution that allowed me to tie into the factory harness and not have to cut any factory wires.

I don't know which direction your going in, but I thought I would throw some of your options out their.

8. Jul 23, 2010 at 10:10 AM
    remodelboy

remodelboy Member

Member:
    Does anyone have a pic of the exposed factory JBL amp? And will this fit the 2007 - the specs say it is for 2005-2006?

If it fits my 2007 Dbl Cab and the amp is not too hard to get at, this might be the easier way for me to upgrade my JBL system. I didn't want to bother putting in a new HU and then have to use the JBL amp (I'm thinking that the amp in the new HU should help it sound better than the JBL).

Products Discussed in

To Top