1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Damage Jump Starting

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by USNavyTaco, May 24, 2011.

1. May 24, 2011 at 5:41 PM
    USNavyTaco

USNavyTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goose Creek SC
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma prerunner sr5 with mods
    2 inch coil spacers up front, tsb rear, Kobalt toolbox, westin bull bar, driver seat height mod, jvc head unit, rag joint zip tie truss mod, 17inch alloy 4runner sr5 rims wrapped in 265 yoko geolanders, off road lights, uhaul hitch, tacoma seat covers, avs vent visors, debadged prerunner, mud flaps gone, scanguage II, glovebox shock absorber mod,flowmaster 40 exhaust,
    Well. Heres a sad story of what idiot people do in idiot cars.

Was jump starting a classmates BMW x5 with my tacoma. Well. The idiot decided that he was going to go try and start it while the cables are connected, which is fine. But what he did next was scary. He floored his x5 once he got it started. I mean. He redlined his engine. Is there any chance he damaged anything vital electronics wise in my truck? Would any damage or overload appear immediately?

2. May 24, 2011 at 5:43 PM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    i dont think so? he would just charge your battery i believe. not too sure though

3. May 24, 2011 at 5:44 PM
    rex99

rex99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TArdCOMAWORLD
    Vehicle:
    Proton Cruiser
    Rocket Boosters, Flux Capacitor, Escape Pod, Throttle Body Spacer, Homeroshi, ATRAC disable
    this

4. May 24, 2011 at 5:46 PM
    Rucas

Rucas 1st gen

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Vehicle:
    1st gen. 4x4
    Custom Aluminum Camper
    isnt that what your supposed to do?

5. May 24, 2011 at 5:52 PM
    tommyc

tommyc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tommy
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5, TRD
    Yo Dude you should be good as long as you connected the cables correctly, you didn't do neg to neg pos to pos. next time tell him screw call AAA

6. May 24, 2011 at 5:54 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Voltage is not proportional to rpm, and the alternator is regulated.

Nothing to worry about here.

7. May 24, 2011 at 5:57 PM
    Navigator

Navigator Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Sport 6spd
    17" American Racing Assaults on 265/70/17 Goodyear AT/S, TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Toyota Roof Rack, XM install with antenna out 3rd brake light, Red LED Map Lights, AUX Amber LED rocker switch for LED footwell lights, LUND Bug Screen, EXTANG Tri-Fold Tonneau, Hertz Component Speakers w/ TacoTunes Mounts, Infinity Kappa 4 amp, Image Dynamics 10" sub in TacoTunes enclosure, Pop n' Lock, Toyota Aluminum Wedge Running Boards, BHLM, Self Performed '05 Cowl Leak TSB, E-Z Cool Insulation/Sound Deadener applied to floorboard, headliner, and cab bulkhead, 896 Foglight bulbs as backup lights, Weathertechs, Pioneer Double Din, Scan Gauge, AutoSoft Remote Start, 2010 4Runner Heated/Signal/Puddle Mirrors.
    X2.... + you worry too much. :D

8. May 24, 2011 at 6:02 PM
    USNavyTaco

Member:
    Goose Creek SC
    Vehicle:
    2 inch coil spacers up front, tsb rear, Kobalt toolbox, westin bull bar, driver seat height mod, jvc head unit, rag joint zip tie truss mod, 17inch alloy 4runner sr5 rims wrapped in 265 yoko geolanders, off road lights, uhaul hitch, tacoma seat covers, avs vent visors, debadged prerunner, mud flaps gone, scanguage II, glovebox shock absorber mod,flowmaster 40 exhaust,
    no i did positive to positve, negative to grounding point on his engine block.

I know nothing is amiss..yet... although it did start weird this morning...

and voltage is regulated, thank god...thats good to hear......ive got him all worried. i told him my truck is dead and that i called the cops...kid is crapping his pants right now...

i just always thought that current can backflow? or is this only when connecting pos to pos and neg to neg?

and if current ever does backflow, just for future reference, wouldnt a blown fuse be the first indication? or any problems with electricals popping up immediately? sorry just new to these trucks..old car had a surge protecting battery, this one has a standard one...

9. May 24, 2011 at 6:03 PM
    TacoSport

TacoSport opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.

Member:
    NE
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SSM Sport DCSB w/Tow
    Lucky for you in this case, he's only hurting his engine by revving it up when it first starts. Next time shut off your motor during charge or don't do it at all.

10. May 24, 2011 at 6:08 PM
    USNavyTaco

Member:
    Goose Creek SC
    Vehicle:
    So just to be clear,and to learn... an alternators output is NOT proportional to the RPM of the engine? i thought that is why you give the GOOD car in a jump a little gas? to increase alternator output?

11. May 24, 2011 at 6:13 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Why did you do that ^^^ ?

Your truck should be fine. Usually when you jump start a car you do it with the cables still connected.

12. May 24, 2011 at 6:16 PM
    USNavyTaco

Member:
    Goose Creek SC
    Vehicle:

cause im not a huge fan of this kid.. so i figured id scare him a bit...the only reason i jumped him is cause i figured someone who doesnt like me would do the same for me.. IE.. karma.....

hopefully no electrical gremlins will pop up now.. if i wanted to live with those i would have bought a jeep grand cherokee....

13. May 24, 2011 at 6:33 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    It's a little complicated, but at low RPM an alternator's output can 'droop' even with maximum field current. The field current is how the regulator or computer controls the alternator output.

So you bump the RPM up a bit above idle, and that lets the alternator put out what the regulator/computer is requesting .

The regulator/computer is mostly just looking to keep the system voltage at the optimum level. It varies a little with temperature (higher voltage in cold weather). Usually you don't see normal operating voltages outside of 13.5 to 14.5 volts.

So, the other car would have tried to boost its alternator output until it saw 13.5-14.0 volts, which it would have probably seen just from your jumper cables being connected anyway.

tl;dr = Your truck is fine.

14. May 24, 2011 at 6:33 PM
    Fire Force

Fire Force Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 SR5 TRD Offroad (mostly stock)
    Bull bar, UWS toolbox, Yaesu FT-8800R dual band ham radio
    I second this gentleman's post.

15. May 24, 2011 at 6:50 PM
    USNavyTaco

Member:
    Goose Creek SC
    Vehicle:
    Ah JKD good post. Now i understand.

Next time I'll just hand him the phone number for AAA and tell him to screw off. Then proceed to create tire smoke.

16. May 24, 2011 at 6:57 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    X1

17. May 24, 2011 at 6:57 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Tell him he should FLOOR IT for 5 minutes.

Steve

Products Discussed in

To Top