1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Damn electrical problems! :-( headlight help

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by fireturk41, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Dec 28, 2009 at 4:18 PM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 [OP] I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    :mad:okay, lately ive been talking about my electrical issues concerning my headlights, i was driving switched from highs to lows and bam, in the dark.

first i suspected the relay, but my highs still work, then it was suggested it might be the dimmer switch or the dimmer relay because highbeams still work and i have no blown fuses

i took it to the dealer today, they told me essentially i was stupid (argued that 30ftlb is way too tight for oil drain and its closer to 30inch lbs, needless to say i changed my own damn oil today) and told me its because both bulbs burnt out at the same time and it happens and they put the fillament back together in the right one and it works, i asked if a short is a possiblity, he said the tech checked and there was no way

come home today, changed my oil, bought some hella headlights for my truck for 45 bucks, right when i turn on my headlights, pop both lows burn out, but the highbeams still work.

i am taking it back tomorrow and expect to be reimbursed for the new headlights and if they dont want to mess with my truck anymore my diagnostic fee, if they will fix it i will ask that they dont charge me a new diagnostic fee

i believe when fixing a car you confirm the concern, CORRECT the CAUSE,

am i asking too much from them when it comes to reimbursement?

will they reimburse me, if they should and dont would it be worth pursueing

and also what could it be? (now im thinking a short after the fuse box)

2. Dec 28, 2009 at 4:37 PM
    smuook

smuook Daily Driver "Plus"

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Billy 5100, Satoshi, MBW Wheels, All Pro Front Bumper with 3x PIAA 530, LED dash lighting, other stuff too much to list
    The chances of two light bulbs burning out at the same time due to faulty bulbs... twice... has the same probability of happening as the Detroit Lions winning the Super Bowl (sorry Detroit people :rolleyes:).

Since the low and high beams share much of the same circuitry, my bet would be a pinched wire or H2O in the wiring harness/low beam wiring. The wiring should go up to a connector near the engine comp fuse panel.

3. Dec 28, 2009 at 5:02 PM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 [OP] I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
  4. Feb 6, 2010 at 1:31 PM
    smuook

smuook Daily Driver "Plus"

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Billy 5100, Satoshi, MBW Wheels, All Pro Front Bumper with 3x PIAA 530, LED dash lighting, other stuff too much to list
    Did you ever find the answer to this? What was the problem?

Products Discussed in

To Top