1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dangerous? Maybe. Impressive? Yes.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by vegetopia, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Sep 18, 2011 at 8:51 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Buy a 5.9 Cummins or a 7.3L powerstroke and call it a day. Both are bullet proof engines that will most likely never give you any problems until the world ends in 921002AD, where upon the sun will engulf the earth and 5.9's and 7.3's will enter into orbit around the sun.

2. Sep 18, 2011 at 1:07 PM
    vegetopia

vegetopia [OP] newbie

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB TRDOR 4x4 MANUAL
    2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road SR5 Double Cab 6.0L 6MT
    haha.

I like the 7.3L powerstrokes, but they are absoultely horrid on cold starts. My father in law has a 97 and it's a great truck, but even down here in Houston, he has to leave it plugged in overnight for it to start in the morning. That's too much headache for me...

I've been thinking about it a lot more since you posted this morning, and I say fuck all the bullshit. I'm getting a 2nd gen tacoma. I can pull 6000lbs safely with that truck. I'll put a brake controller on it and brakes on the trailer. That way for the average load, I'll have more than enough, and the once in a while I need more, I know it can do it. I'm not going to be taking these loads on the highway, afterall.

The more I thought about it and researched, I just really hated the idea of a 1/2ton or 3/4ton truck. I don't want to daily drive one, I don't want the fuel costs, I don't want the upkeep.

What I want is a white, v6, 4x4, manual, dbl cab, 2nd gen tacoma.

3. Sep 18, 2011 at 6:36 PM
    derekp

derekp giddy up!

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Grand Forks, ND
    Vehicle:
    2001 X-Cab 4x4 TRD V6 5Spd
    Deck plate, Flowmaster Delta-Flow 40 series, 265/75-16 Wrangler TDs, more to come...
    I have a 1G V-6 and pulled around 2.5-3k lbs from Little Rock to DC. I averaged 14.5 mpg. Not bad. We went through the mountains in West Virginia and western Maryland. That was tough, floored in 3rd gear at about 40-50 mph. I love my 1G, not sure if I'd be happy with a full size. I had a 2005 Hemi quad cab 4x4. Great truck but sucked on gas. My dad has a 2005 Dodge Cummins 2wd and he gets 25-30mpg (he drives like an old retired guy). No issues w/his truck. His early Tundra (2002, I think) had a few issues due to a lot of towing. Mainly the wheel bearings disintegrated at around 60-70k miles. They towed a travel trailer a lot! He loved the truck but it couldn't keep up. My neighbor has the new body style F-150 and it leaks all sorts of fluids on his driveway. He uses it for contracting work, so it does get used.
    No matter who you talk to, you will get good/bad info for each manufacturer. Find what you like and do it. Sounds like the 2G Tacoma is your deal, make it happen. I like the 2G, but the 1G has been proven and that is why I came back (after looking for around 2yrs for a replacement to my 2000 Tacoma). I'll probably move to the 2G when the 1Gs start disappearing.
    BTW, the auto gets better MPGs than the manual. And check out the long bed, the short bed looks a bit too short. Just my 2 cents.

4. Sep 19, 2011 at 8:03 AM
    vegetopia

vegetopia [OP] newbie

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB TRDOR 4x4 MANUAL
    I can't stand driving autos anymore. Gotta get back in a manual. Also, auto might get better MPG, but manual gets more hp, tq which matters more to me.

I like the long bed, but you can't get the long bed with a manual, only an auto. I don't know what marketing genius came up with that, but there it is.

With how ridiculous resale value is on these trucks, it looks like buying new is the way to go. I'm seeing asking prices of 2-3K less than dealer MSRP on 2-3yr old tacomas...

Are these trucks in such high demand that you can't get them for dealer invoice, or is it possible? I was thinking of special ordering one exactly the way I want it. Then keeping it until I die!

5. Sep 19, 2011 at 8:26 AM
    derekp

derekp giddy up!

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Grand Forks, ND
    Vehicle:
    Deck plate, Flowmaster Delta-Flow 40 series, 265/75-16 Wrangler TDs, more to come...
    I like manual transmissions as well, I find that it helps with towing and trail riding. I didn't know about the long-bed auto only, that wasn't bright on Toyota's part. As for HP and Torque, that is produced by the engine (236HP, 266ft/lbs) and is the same for auto as it is for the manual. Maybe I read your statement incorrectly.

Resale is high for Tacomas across the board. They are great trucks and have a history of durability.
    If you want to keep your 1G, you can check out DieselToyz.com, they do diesel conversions using all Toyota parts. I'd love to do it but can't justify the expense right now.

6. Sep 19, 2011 at 8:32 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Prolly pay a few hunnert over invoice.

Don't pay sticker for sure!

7. Sep 19, 2011 at 9:05 AM
    vegetopia

vegetopia [OP] newbie

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB TRDOR 4x4 MANUAL
    Sorry, I meant that less hp/tq is lost through the drive train on the manual than the auto.

I would absolutely LOVE to do a 4BT cummins swap, or a Highlux swap in the 1G (Hell, half my 2.7L already is a Highlux!), but it's resale value is too high to contemplate something like that. My truck still retails at $15k. It would be awesome though. :D

I never pay sticker ;). Based on a lotpro.com review, dealer invoice is $24k. Then add base SR5 and tow package to that (that's all I want). I can probably get a new one in the neighborhood of $25k.

8. Sep 19, 2011 at 9:42 AM
    derekp

derekp giddy up!

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Grand Forks, ND
    Vehicle:
    Ah, I'm tracking now. That makes sense.
    Their diesel conversion isn't a cummins (although that would be sweet!) they use the OEM Toyota gear. The bad part is, the conversion for the manual transmission, engine, cpu, etc is about $19.5k! :eek: But it is turn-key. and you get your old engine, transmission, CPU back. I just checked the website (http://www.dieseltoyz.com/) And the prices went up recently. Still, a killer idea if you had the cash. They even have a conversion for the 2G Tacoma! Oh, to have the cash flow to do that!:rolleyes:

9. Sep 19, 2011 at 9:59 AM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    Yup, that's why it's a *recommended* tow rating. 30mph for 2 miles, a Taco could pull a lot more than that. I just wouldn't do it every day.

I pulled a 12' dual axle u-haul trailer FULL of fill dirt/rocks a few years back with my V6 DC 4x4. I have no idea what the weight was, but it was more than 5K lbs. And I took the freeway to get rid of it! :D

I just saw the US Top Gear, where one of the guys pulled a 140 ton train engine and car with his F-350... *slightly* above tow rating...:eek:

10. Sep 19, 2011 at 1:52 PM
    tacoman78

tacoman78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Limited Dbl Cab Prerunner
    Deck Mod
    That was pretty impressive I must say. I also have to say that Tanner Foust may be one of the most talented drivers in the world. I mean come on, who do you know that can take an F-350 dually burnout, drift around Ruttledge, and then drift it off into the sunset. The guy's got skills. But back to the topic on hand.

I know you may not want a 1/2 or 3/4 ton pickup, but in reality you need it. If you're going to be towing 8,000 lbs. regularly, you need something that was made to handle it regularly. While the Tacoma might be able to do it you will wear out the transmission faster.

Now if there was a Tacoma with a V8 that would be the way for you to go, but sadly they don't exist. I honestly think you need something bigger than will handle the 8000lbs load your wanting to haul with no struggle.

Also remember that it is illegal to tow more than the manufactures GVW. Just because your truck can do it, doesn't mean your truck should do it.

11. Sep 19, 2011 at 2:06 PM
    vegetopia

vegetopia [OP] newbie

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB TRDOR 4x4 MANUAL
    ^^^all good points, and all things I have not lost sight of. I have come to a compromise in my mind though and it's this:

I am going to get my shit together ahead of time next time, so that when I have a load encroaching on 8000lbs, I will have enough time to order the material and get it delivered by the supplier.

I think that the tow rating of 6500lbs on the 2nd gen tacoma will be more than enough for my residual towing needs. I say residual as I will be doing follow ups, and forgotten items from the main material delivery.

With 6500, I can tow 5000lbs of material. I think that will be sufficient. I will still get a brake controller and add brakes to my trailer, and that way I'll remain legal and more importantly safe to others on the road with me.

If there is a time when I have missed the opportunity to get my material delivered and I have to go for a full load, well, I can do that once a year, but I honestly don't think it will be necessary. I also don't think I put that much weight on the trailer in that first pic and I don't think I could have physically put any more material on it than I had.

For all the other times, I will be driving the truck that I actually want. :D I think it's a pretty good compromise...

12. Sep 19, 2011 at 3:57 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    Lol. so true. Although I wouldn't have thought to go and buy a brand new trailer... Was the trailer something you had been thinking of buying anyway?

My favorite quote of all time (one that I used a lot when I managed a bike shop):

"A lack of planning on your part does not necessitate an emergency on mine."

I even had a sign made up. :)

13. Sep 19, 2011 at 6:11 PM
    x2468

x2468 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 4wd V6 Xcab Sr5
  14. Sep 19, 2011 at 6:19 PM
    saundern

saundern Swerve for nothing

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Simpsonville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport
    4 banger FTMFW!!!

15. Sep 19, 2011 at 6:24 PM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    Any full size truck (F150, Chevy 1500, Ram 1500, Tundra) will do the job perfectly fine. I say search around and find the best deal you can.

16. Sep 19, 2011 at 8:16 PM
    vegetopia

vegetopia [OP] newbie

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB TRDOR 4x4 MANUAL
    haha, actually no. but its something i know i'll use for the rest of my life. And it was only $950 brand new.

haha, awesome. seriously dangerous.

Products Discussed in

To Top