1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dangers of Wheel Spacers (Long read)

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by DanGer, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Jun 15, 2009 at 2:13 PM
    DanGer

DanGer [OP] Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    IF you don't agree, become more renown that the guy that I met with to discuss this then I will consider your arguments. I am not telling you not to use them, just trying to educate from one of the best sources on the planet. Notice he does the same, just addresses the topics, but does not tell me yes or no.

These are the exact words of my professor's response in our discussion. In his words, "I have worked out more dynamics problems, especially relating to automobiles, than anyone else on this planet, save 5 or 6 individuals".

2. Jun 15, 2009 at 2:25 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Wow! Honestly, I have been using mine and have no complaints. Life is too short to skip out on stuff like this. All that high tech talk gave me a headache! lol

3. Jun 15, 2009 at 2:28 PM
    drew02a

drew02a Rocking your mom's world Since 1997

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 Regular Cab 2.7L 4x4
    Good to know. I thought it would just wear out the bearings quicker.

4. Jun 15, 2009 at 2:28 PM
    tacoskim

tacoskim Tuned By Gadget

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Stock
    k i understand wheel spacers are bad, but what about the spidertrax adapters?? whats the difference between this and having a wheel with different back spacing? i still haven't heard of any complaints bout the spidertrax adapters

5. Jun 15, 2009 at 2:32 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    No complaints here with my spidertrax. And I have done some pretty gnarly stuff

6. Jun 15, 2009 at 2:38 PM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    AFE Drop-in filter, Wet Okole seat covers, Hifonics 6.5" components in front, MA Audio midbasses in rear, Kicker 8", RE Audio 2 channel for components, Elemental Designs bridged 2-channel for sub, CB, Devil Horns, Rancho QuickLift, Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks, Toytec AAL, stickers, things and stuff.
    Thank you so very much for finding someone qualified to answer (and possibly finalize) a debate. Rep to you.

Now here's my rebuttal:

I park my truck on jack stands every night, and at every grocery store. No more static load. I win. :D

But seriously, I respect your search of fact over biased fact.

7. Jun 15, 2009 at 2:43 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    It's the same thing- The moment-arm is displaced force- No matter how much you pay or how high quality the part is that gets used to displace it.

A wheel with the set back space pushes/pulls on the hub/lug studs directly. If you add a spacer with the same rim- The rim then pushes/pulls on the spacer, and the spacer in turn pushes/pulls on the hub- creating a torque force (or moment arm) at both the rim/spacer interface and the spacer/hub interface.

Just like I said last time- Your truck won't implode cause you use spacers- but the forces are different and can cause premature/improper wear.

8. Jun 15, 2009 at 2:49 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    As stated above, the same calculations in the OP apply to wheels with backspacing different from stock.

If you're avoiding wheel spacers because what's stated by the prof but run wheels with a different backspacing, you're completely missing the point.

9. Jun 15, 2009 at 2:54 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    X2.

10. Jun 15, 2009 at 2:59 PM
    tacoholic

tacoholic Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Bay, CA
    They're not the best things to put on by any means but they make small cars look nicer when the wheels are flush with the body.

I'll probably never use them though, in the end you're still on stock suspension with stock everything running a 2 inch wider track.

11. Jun 15, 2009 at 3:22 PM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    Thanks guys, I have been trying to meet with him ever since that one hostile thread about them so I could back it up with a concrete source. I perfectly understand the statics around them, but I have not taken dynamics yet. So I figured who better the talk to than the guy who wrote our dynamics textbook.

After about a week of correspondence I finally met with him and recorded our conversations just to transcribe it on here

12. Jun 15, 2009 at 3:52 PM
    22b22

22b22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California - East Bay
    Vehicle:
    03 DoubleCab PreRunner TRD SR5
    OME 881/N91S - front Wheeler 5-pack/N85 - rear
    I saw that heated debate and stayed clear as I knew I couldn't explain it well. I did R&D with DACE Manufacturing for Remote Control cars and our biggest single product was wheel adapters (spacers).

We always saw an increase in bearing wear and the scrub radius change was really noticeable on the track when racing. The pros would swap bearings every race day and sometimes during the day depending on conditions.

In a racing environment, sometimes a wider or narrower trac would offset the scrub in the tight turns and sometimes the increased camber rise would be desirable, so they were an option that many racers tested with in practice to decide what to run in the heats/main event.

- so my experience reflects what your Prof wrote. I agree with his assessment

13. Jun 15, 2009 at 5:15 PM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    Thanks for the corroboration! I don't have a problem with wheel spacers at all, I just had a problem with new/low post guys coming in and asking if there is any risk in running them, and people telling them "No there is none at all, I have run them for years with no problems". But I found myself with insufficient understanding of dynamics to back my claims up so I went to my professor.

14. Jun 15, 2009 at 5:18 PM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual

Oh and no offense JD! I just don't like that advice given to people who are considering them and know nothing about them.

15. Jun 15, 2009 at 5:24 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    No worries. Everyone is responsible for their own actions. If they dont do enough research and something happens, its their bad. lol
    Nice post. i tried rep'ing you but I need to rep others first. it wont let me.

16. Jun 15, 2009 at 5:28 PM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    haha no problem. My new come back to arguments of there being no risk in wheel spacers given to new guys is going to be this:
    :D

17. Jun 15, 2009 at 5:30 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    haha. I take that class(statics) next quarter. At my school its an 80% fail rate.

18. Jun 15, 2009 at 5:33 PM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    yup mine is about the same haha. Best of luck to you in it

19. Jun 15, 2009 at 5:36 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Thanks.

20. Jun 15, 2009 at 5:37 PM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    In fact i withdrew from it my first semester:anonymous:

Products Discussed in

To Top