1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dark Anthracite Wheels - New Tacoma

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by DrivinWheel, Nov 30, 2023.

1. Nov 30, 2023 at 8:34 AM
    DrivinWheel

DrivinWheel [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma Double Cab Short Box Off Road Premium
    Hi,

I’m getting a set of previous year wheels to use for winter tires on a 2023 Tacoma Off Road Premium (Canadian). They are the Dark Anthracite 16 inch wheels, part number PT946-35160. I have really looked into TPMS sensors in this forum and online and there is conflicting information. I could use some help. My dealer couldn’t tell me much.

1. Will I need 20 degree or 40 degree sensors?
    2. Will the Autel MX programmable sensors fit? They are listed as 30 degrees.

Thanks

2. Feb 1, 2024 at 8:46 AM
    DrivinWheel

DrivinWheel [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma Double Cab Short Box Off Road Premium
    Hi,

I just thought I’d follow up on what I ended up doing in case it helps somebody else. My goals were as follows:
    1. Get winter tires mounted on wheels that were not steel and had the same offset as my purchased wheels. I wanted wheels that looked good and wouldn't show bright orange rust. I also wanted the original offset (+25 mm) so that I wouldn't have to be concerned about the wheels going slightly out of alignment when I changed wheels, or causing additional loads on the wheel bearings or suspension because of the different offset. I preferred the original wheel width of 7".
    2. Never have to get charged for TPMS service when I changed from winter to summer tires.
    3. Get winter tires that were acceptable - but not top rated. I drove with the stock Goodyear Wranglers in the snow and they weren't too bad. I wanted the softer rubber of a winter tire but didn't feel that I needed top end Michelin X-Ice, Bridgestone Blizzak's, or Hakkapeliitta's. I've had all these before and they're excellent, but I didn't think I needed to pay more for the safety I wanted.

Here's what I ended up purchasing:

1. Toyota PT946-35160 16" Dark Anthracite Alloy Wheels. When you look these up on the internet, it's a mess. Some websites have correct descriptions and some don't. None have wheel dimensions like the bore size to confirm that they will fit. I phoned multiple Toyota dealers and they asked for my VIN and then told me they weren't for my truck. The dealers I contacted did not respond when I asked for the bore size. Thanks to this forum and other resources, I took a risk and purchased them anyway. They fit perfectly. Some of the internet descriptions say they come with TPMS sensors. They don't. I got a sense of how useless the Toyota parts departments are in my neck of the woods (Greater Toronto Area). They have no idea what they are selling and rely on website descriptions.

2. The wheels didn't come with wheel caps. I ordered these separately. I ordered part number "PT280-35160-CC". These took months to arrive, and the dealer that I purchased them from didn't respond to my emails when I asked for an expected date when they were late. I raised the issue with Toyota Canada and the caps arrived within a week of me contacting them. There were other wheel caps that the local dealers had that would have fit, but they cost 3 times the price.

3. I ordered the "Autel MaxiTPMS TS508WF KIT TPMS Tool, [2024 Enhanced WiFi Ver. of TS508] W/ 4 Metal MX-Sensors($180 Valued, 315+433MHz), WiFi TPMS Relearn/Program/Activation Scan Tool, Upgrade of TS508K TS601 TS408" from Amazon. These had the 4 shiny aluminum valve stems. I know my wheels are grey, but these came with the programming tool so I purchased them anyway. I didn't get the rubber valve stems because I'm fairly incompetent with tools and I wanted something that I wouldn't have to cut out if I screwed it up. The aluminum stems have a nut that you can back off if you want to remove them. I know the aluminum stems might not be the best choice if I'm off roading, but I typically only go on forestry roads a few times a year or maybe a bumpy road to a provincial park. So I think I'll be OK. If they break off, I can easily swap them for rubber in the future. I didn't have an appropriate torque wrench or socket, so I purchased the "EPAuto 1/4-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench (20-200 in.-lb. / 2.26~22.6 N/m)" and the "TEKTON 1/4" Drive x 7/16" Deep 6 Pt. Socket | SHD03011". I got both these from Amazon.

4. I purchased "MotoMaster Winter Edge HD Tire for Truck & SUV Product 255/65R18 111T Part: #320047001" from Canadian Tire. I believe they are in the process of discontinuing these tires, and I got a good deal. They are manufactured by Goodyear (Cooper tire division) and were wintery enough for me.

5. I wasn't sure if the TPMS sensors would fit, but they did. The flat part of the TPMS sensor that normally would rest against the wheel was a few mm above the wheel. Autel sends a wire bar that goes into the center of the sensor when you tighten it to keep the sensors from twisting against the wheel and causing you to break the sensor if you over-torque it. This wire held in place until just before the torque setting suggested, and then bent. I probably could have relied on this wire to get the right torque. In any event, one side of the sensor laid against the wheel and the other end stuck up a few mm. I should have taken pictures. All was good.

6. I "cloned" the existing sensors on my truck, which means I took the unique identifier for each of the existing 4 TPMS sensors and applied those identifiers to my new TPMS sensors. This means that if I decide to sell the Autel TS508WF programmer then I can. When the wheels are swapped, then I don't have to reprogram the ECU in the truck with new TPMS codes for the different wheels. It doesn't know new wheels were put on, because the identifiers (codes) are the same as the old wheels. If I rotate the tires, I'll have to punch the "relearn" button in the truck, but I'll never have to reprogram (or pay somebody) to reprogram the ECU. I should note that when I supplied the tires and wheels to a local shop to have them mounted, there was some confusion. I should have told them what I did in detail beforehand. They took a shot at reprogramming the TPMS sensors and weren't very successful. Leaving the shop, I didn't have TPMS readings. When I got home, I just recloned the sensors. I found that the tire pressures were 40 psi for each of the tires, even though the door indicates 30 psi. I suspect they kept adding air and were watching the TPMS settings in the truck (for the OLD tires that were probably lying on the floor). I assume they kept adding air and gave up when they didn't see the tire pressure increasing. I reset the pressure of all the tires back to around 30 psi.

A couple of things surprised me. The Autel sensors are only rated for +/- 1.5 psi. So everybody who is trying to get exactly 30.0 psi - it doesn't matter. When you have 30.0 psi displayed in your truck, it might be 28.5 psi, or it might be 31.5 psi. Also people should keep this in mind if they are thinking that their hand held pressure gauge is great because it matches the display in the truck. Just because you have 0.1 psi of precision, doesn't mean you have 0.1 psi of accuracy.

As well, the Autel sensor batteries are supposed to last 5 years. This is pretty short, and maybe they are being conservative. I have two sets of rims for a 2009 Honda Accord (made in 2008) and all 8 sensors still have working batteries after 15 years (verified with my Autel T508WF). So I'm hoping Autel is being conservative.

I took a run with the winter tires up to Hearst, Ontario from Timmins, Ontario a few weeks ago. All was good in snow packed and ice covered roads - but nothing too off-roady. I'm happy with the performance.

I have attached pictures so people can decide if "anthracite gray" wheels go well with the "Magnetic Gray Metallic" Tacoma. I also had aluminum valve stems that people might not want with the Anthracite Gray wheels. I also used the existing chrome lug nuts from the stock wheels which people might choose to change. In reality, I had no idea what my wheel caps would look like so I was pretty happy that they had the silver Toyota logo which goes very well with the chrome lug nuts and the aluminum coloured valve stem. But I'm off the charts in not caring about what colour goes with what so others might have a different opinion.

I get great value from this forum so I'm happy to have taken the time to hopefully help somebody else out in the future. Thanks.

IMG_5186.jpg
    IMG_5185.jpg
    IMG_5184.jpg
    IMG_5183.jpg
    IMG_5182.jpg
    IMG_5181.jpg

3. Feb 20, 2024 at 6:57 PM
    EveryDayIsTacoTues

EveryDayIsTacoTues Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica DCLB TRD Sport
    Seconding, I like these! They were/are an SR5 option for 3rd Gens. As a result they're often for sale at a discount as take off wheels when people upgrade to TRD/replicas. I actually really wanted the Dark Anthracite, but I found a slamming deal on FB Market in gloss black. They're a low key cheaper option for that TRD Pro look IMO.

I opted to pop the Toyota logo off the center caps though, as I've debadged it elsewhere for the legacy look.

upload_2024-2-20_21-57-21.png

upload_2024-2-20_21-56-28.png

EDIT: FWIW I was able to swap and reset the TPMS from my old 2nd gen TRD Sport wheels.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2024
    Spallgard, TT005 and DrivinWheel[OP] like this.
  4. Feb 20, 2024 at 7:21 PM
    TwinTaco31719

TwinTaco31719 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Glenbrook, NV
    Vehicle:
    2023 Lunar Rock LB Sport
    Great info! These are my favorite OEM wheels!

DrivinWheel[OP] likes this.
To Top