1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dark-colored cars may be banned in California

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Evil Monkey, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Mar 27, 2009 at 10:56 AM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    They did something like this in Austin, TX a couple years back, but I think it was only $5. The money was supposed to go to the "help battered women leave their husbands" fund. But WHAT DO YOU KNOW, they can't find where the money went!

2. Mar 27, 2009 at 11:28 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    dont forget the IOU's on your tax returns.

3. Mar 27, 2009 at 11:37 AM
    Dockhead

Dockhead Formarly 08TRD4X4RadientRed

Member:
    Chico, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 ACC 4X4 TRD OR
    TRD Seat covers, K&N Series 77 intake, TRD plate frames, iPod interface
    This is so stupid, and we pay these guys to think up this shit. I know how to reduce the debt in CA cut the useless agencies and boards we have.

4. Mar 27, 2009 at 12:13 PM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    The problem with CA is how its laws are created. Once any law is made, groups of people can always challenge it. Sounds good on paper, but the problem is that over time, more and more laws bloat the system. Perfect example is Prop 13, which was passed in 1976 to protect old people from losing their homes due to the rise in property tax when their homes appreciated. Prop 13 capped that amount to what was paid. The problem now is that you've got loads of retirees living in a house that's now worth a million dollars and they're only paying tax for 30k. Schools, roads, bridges, and other infrastructure items rely on property taxes. But the state gets more and more broke every year partially because they are getting less property tax over time. These old people also have little reason to move out of their houses, and thus in cities like SF, the population is getting older and older since young people can't afford houses there, or much anywhere in the BA for that matter. The state age is going up as more and more younger families move out. That means that there will be a non-stop slide in property tax collection. But this law will NEVER get repealed because any motions made will be shot down by older homeowners.

But to come to CA's defense... the weather IS fantastic, and after living in MA and the East Coast for 3 years where it gets ridiculously cold in the winter, I don't see how in the hell some of you guys deal with it because I sure as hell hated every second of winter there.

5. Mar 27, 2009 at 1:01 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    I've enjoyed the cold weather up here in Minnesota, but 6 months of it is getting pretty damn old...

6. Mar 27, 2009 at 1:27 PM
    Snipe

Snipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    The worst part of these dumb ass laws that get passed in CA is the people get tired of the hassles living there and then they move and the very first fukin thing they do is drag all those dumb ass laws along with them and start petitions to get them on the ballot where they just moved too.

I say we put up a fence around that dumb ass liberal state and charge each and every one of them a deposit of 100,000 when they go outside the fence and they don't get it back until they drag their whining ass back inside where they belong.
    If they don't return to reclaim their deposit within 7 days then they forfeit it and it is distributed among the other 49 states for having to put up with their whiney ass liberal ideas they are packing with them.

7. Mar 27, 2009 at 1:49 PM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    Liberalism is spreading through America like a cancer out of control. Our founding fathers must be rolling in their graves.:mad:

8. Mar 27, 2009 at 3:16 PM
    05silverTaco

05silverTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB 4X4 TRD Sport
    Dodge Mirrors, Fog light switch, Always on Fog lights, Firestone Air Bags
    I think the problem here is way to many people dependent on programs that pay them when they are not making money.
    Prop 13 was and still is a good bill. If not for it you would have more people out in the street because they could not pay their property tax when there house escalated in value. Then you would have had more people on welfare. The politicians use taxes to base their spending on. And once the budget is a certain number they just keep adding to it. even if it isn't neccesary. So Calif would probably have gone bankrupt years ago if not for Prop 13.
    And now with houses worth less the taxes have gone down and created this lack of money for the politicians to use.
    Now for example how would you like your license fees to go up just because you have a popular car this year? And then down and then back up?

m y .02

9. Mar 27, 2009 at 3:38 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    Yeah, after 53 of those 6 month winters, I'm ready for Florida!

10. Mar 27, 2009 at 3:45 PM
    NAAC3TACO

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    I grew up in California and I miss alot of things about it, but I can't stand most of the politics. Of course, now I live just over the border in Nevada, so if I want to visit, It's not much of a drive. Then again, I live in the state Harry Reid is from.:eek:

11. Mar 27, 2009 at 3:47 PM
    bobwilson1977

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    But.... most other states DO have progressive property taxes. You know what happens when that occurs? House values tend to stay within reasonable levels. For example, In TX, there is a pretty high tax of 2-3%. The result is that there is a pain point where people are not willing to pay as much for a house because they realize they will be penalized with taxes if they pay too much. Therfore the prices stay within reason. You can STILL buy a hell of a nice house in even the nicest parts of TX for 150-200k. That buys you a crack house in the ghetto in CA, if you can find one that cheap. Taxes in many ways is a good check and balance system.

12. Mar 27, 2009 at 3:48 PM
    bobwilson1977

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    - hence why about 70% of FL is full of retired northerners. Not that I blame them though. The weather up north is awful!

13. Mar 27, 2009 at 3:50 PM
    NAAC3TACO

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    I heard somewhere that sub-prime mortgages are illegal in Texas also. Is that true?

14. Mar 27, 2009 at 3:51 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    Welcome to Cal-e-four-knee-ah! Please leave all common sense at the border.

15. Mar 27, 2009 at 4:22 PM
    05silverTaco

Member:
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB 4X4 TRD Sport
    Taxes a good check and balance system?

What happened to common sense? This same house costs 200,000.00 in a town 5 miles away what makes it worth 600,000.00 here?

When you let taxes be a check and balance then you get in a big mess like Calif is in because now they can not collect taxes and they have their expenditures based on what taxes they thought they were going to collect on at the higher value.

16. Mar 27, 2009 at 4:22 PM
    05silverTaco

Member:
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB 4X4 TRD Sport

+1

vince

Products Discussed in

To Top