1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dasaita Head Unit for 2nd Gen Tacoma

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by mcgrath.travism, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Feb 13, 2020 at 3:07 PM
    jpereira2

jpereira2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2013 double cab trd off road
    Bilstein 6112 4th notch Bilstein 5160 rear Camburg ball joint UCAs Old man emu dakar leafs 265/75R16 Cooper ST Maxx Crux stereo a/v interface UltraGauge ARE fiberglass cap Wet okole seat covers Retro fit source Led fog lights Superbrightled pods in rear bumper Superbrightled light bar in grill Rock blokz mud flaps SOS Rock Sliders RCI Skid Plates (to be painted and mounted)
    Aren't they all made in China.....

2. Feb 13, 2020 at 3:11 PM
    PennSilverTaco

PennSilverTaco Encyclopedia of useless information...

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2010 Zombie Truck
    China, Taiwan, Mexico...

I mean it’s actually made by a Chinese company and the only reason it sells is because it’s so cheap!

3. Feb 13, 2020 at 4:17 PM
    theolee

theolee www.nickleecreations.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Theo
    SAN DIEGO
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 Tacoma SR5 Pre-Runner AC 4.0
    I wouldn't say $400s is cheap or the product is either. To be perfectly honest, there's no way in hell I'm paying a $1000s for overrated name brand with way less functionality...

4. Feb 13, 2020 at 4:33 PM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Vehicle:
    2010 Zombie Truck
    My Pioneer was $325! Apple CarPlay, Bluetooth, HD Radio, USB, AUX input, and a CD player; Plus it has this huge touch-screen display and I’ve got a backup camera hooked up!

The $250 Boss BV960N that I had before the Pioneer was junk...

5. Feb 13, 2020 at 7:00 PM
    kamakazie_1

kamakazie_1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ
    Mims, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 White Tacoma DCSB TRD OR 4X4
    Factory Roof Racks Installed, Vent Visors, Meso dome and maps, Stubby Ant., 265/70-16 Discovery RTX, Dasaita 9" Android HU, RedLine Hood Supports, MBRP Cat Back Stainless Exhaust
    I'm not sure how long they've been around, but the quality is really good I'd say, little fitment things but I've not heard any of the guys here complain or replace the system.. Considering the $1000 difference in price, I'd do it again in a minute..

RJ

asudevil, jpereira2 and theolee like this.
  6. Feb 14, 2020 at 3:09 AM
    jpereira2

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 6112 4th notch Bilstein 5160 rear Camburg ball joint UCAs Old man emu dakar leafs 265/75R16 Cooper ST Maxx Crux stereo a/v interface UltraGauge ARE fiberglass cap Wet okole seat covers Retro fit source Led fog lights Superbrightled pods in rear bumper Superbrightled light bar in grill Rock blokz mud flaps SOS Rock Sliders RCI Skid Plates (to be painted and mounted)
    It's not that cheap and it has way more capability than those other units and doesn't lock you out of things while moving

7. Feb 14, 2020 at 5:05 AM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Vehicle:
    2010 Zombie Truck
    That changes things! I hate that nanny state feature in the new Toyotas!

jpereira2[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Feb 14, 2020 at 6:20 AM
    jpereira2

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    Actually found the song this passed weekend, I can tell it to not allow videos while driving lol

9. Feb 15, 2020 at 2:44 PM
    theolee

Member:
    First Name:
    Theo
    SAN DIEGO
    Vehicle:
    Hey @kamakazie_1, was it you that had a maestro? Was it a Idatatalink RR? Did you need a idatalink T01 harness? Im trying to figure out if our units need it to run the TPMS app..

-theo

10. Feb 17, 2020 at 3:14 AM
    kamakazie_1

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ
    Mims, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Factory Roof Racks Installed, Vent Visors, Meso dome and maps, Stubby Ant., 265/70-16 Discovery RTX, Dasaita 9" Android HU, RedLine Hood Supports, MBRP Cat Back Stainless Exhaust
    Hey Leo, sorry just saw this... I gave my Maestro to my Son, didn't need it with this unit.. I bought the bluetooth OBDII adapter and the torque app and the TPMS is not in the truck's, computer.. The app that comes on these HU are actually for the Dasaita's sensors.. Either whole sensor or valve stem cap sensor.. I'm going to order the 4 complete sensors and put them in with my next tire change, right now I'll just deal with the idiot light...

RJ

asudevil and theolee[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Feb 17, 2020 at 11:15 AM
    theolee

Member:
    First Name:
    Theo
    SAN DIEGO
    Vehicle:
    Thanks TJ! :thumbsup:

kamakazie_1[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Feb 17, 2020 at 12:40 PM
    kamakazie_1

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ
    Mims, Florida
    Vehicle:
    It was really early, and I hadn't had my coffee yet, and was typing on my tablet... Give the old guy a break!!

:(

RJ

theolee[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Feb 17, 2020 at 12:49 PM
    theolee

Member:
    First Name:
    Theo
    SAN DIEGO
    Vehicle:
    :rofl: Haha no worries! Thanks for the info brother! :thumbsup:

kamakazie_1[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Mar 4, 2020 at 10:00 AM
    09TRDSport4x4

09TRDSport4x4 OCD Approved!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Southwest Ohio
    Looking for some advice before I finally get around to installing my headunit...

I bought the Seicane unit and it has two camera inputs. One dedicated to a rear camera and another for an aux camera. My original plan was to move the OEM rear camera from the mirror down to the headunit and install a Car Solutions front camera module to add a front camera, with the “always on” option, controlled by the Mode button on my steering wheel. But here’s the issue, my truck is a 2009, so no OEM touchscreen or Entune options available. So now I’m concerned the Car Solutions kit isn’t going to work for me. I haven’t found a single person with a truck older than 2012 using that kit...

The rear camera wiring should be pretty straight forward as the unit has a rear camera wire that will turn it on when the truck is placed in reverse but I need suggestions or idea for how to best go about adding a front camera with the install. I guess, worst case, I could buy a camera and hook it up straight to the unit but then I’d have to use the on screen menu every time I want to see it. I’d much rather install a button and have an “anytime” option when I press it. That would make the front camera much easier to use when parking (my main intention).

Has anyone installed a front camera on their unit, not using the Car Solutions kit? And if so, how did you go about doing it and using it?

*EDIT*

I did find this switch that would be awesome to utilize if I can find a wiring harness and way to display the cameras “on demand”. I’ve reached out to them inquiring about whether their kit would work for my application.

https://www.anytimebackupcamera.com...r-camera-switch-toyota?variant=21463619272782

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  15. Mar 5, 2020 at 6:19 AM
    mrclutch25

mrclutch25 New Member

Member:
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Speedway Blue Toyota Tacoma 4x4 4 door TRD Sport LB (196k miles)
    Wet Okole Seat Covers Bilstein 5100 shocks 4 leaf spring TSB 4Runner TRD Pro 17 inch Matte Grey Rims Hankook LT265/70/R17 10-ply tires Dasaita 9" Android Touch Screen Radio Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5 components (front doors) Hybrid Audio Clarus 5 mid woofers (back doors) JL Audio 12TW3-4 Subwoofer in custom fiberglass enclosure behind passenger back seat JL Audio HD 900/5 Amplifier RAAMmat in doors and back wall Added Bluetooth buttons to steering wheel Toyota Bed Mat 2013 Toyota Tacoma Running Boards Interior LED Lights Spyder Projector Headlights Light Bar DRL Weathertech floor mats Tyger Auto T3 Tri-Fold Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
    I have a 2010 TRD Sport (technically non JBL). I'm on my 3rd aftermarket head unit (Parrot Asteroid --> Kenwood DDX9905s --> Dasaita). I really liked my previous head units but Parrot didn't continue to support it and it was old hardware running old Android. I really like the clean and easy use of the Kenwood for Android Auto and of course top notch sound to my JL Audio 900/5 amp. I still have the Kenwood but installed in my 'new' 2012 Subaru Legacy sedan along with installing 2 aftermarket cameras (backup/front). I decided to get and try the Dasaita for the 'OEM' look in my Tacoma. Overall it works pretty well and the screen is large. I have some noise in my system that I didn't have with the Kenwood so determining if Dasaita components versus ground or RCAs or something bad in my install.

To answer your question @09TRDSport4x4 - I have a front aftermarket camera installed and tapped into the OEM back up camera (so shows in aftermarket headunit and still in rear-view mirror). I found the 2 wires in the front driver side kick panel and ran an RCA input that I plug into the rear view input of the Dasaita (since tapping into Toyota's wires only triggers when in reverse). The front camera (Nakita WD-012) I ran to the front camera input of the Dasaita and ran the power to the Accessory so its 'always-on'. The Dasaita has a Front Camera button I put on my first screen so its easy to turn on and use when parking, etc. There is also a setting (the Kenwood had as well) that allows after the reverse camera comes on and you shift to Drive to flip and show the front camera automatically for a set period of time (i.e. 5 seconds). I've installed over 5 aftermarket cameras on different vehicles and I have had good luck with the Natika cameras on Amazon. They are of solid build quality and good image quality for the price. I like the WD-011 for backup installs mainly due to form factor and the new WD-012 works good for front camera installs. But form factor is a personal taste.

Installing a front camera is super easy and with these headunits that allow for it and expose a button I don't think you necessarily need the Car Solutions kit. I think the Car Solutions kit makes it easier for the newer Tacomas that had the camera built in and shown on the OEM radio to make it easy to add a front camera to the OEM radio, etc. But just my 2 cents from afar.

Hope that helps!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    theolee likes this.
  16. Mar 5, 2020 at 7:29 AM
    09TRDSport4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Southwest Ohio
    That is very helpful! Thank you.

I agree that I don’t think I need the Car Solutions front camera kit to achieve my goal. However, you bring up a good point, my truck does have the factory JBL radio right now. I had to buy a can bus wiring adapter for the Seicane unit, in order for it to work with the factory JBL amp and sub. I’m hoping this doesn’t interfere or cause issues with the installation of a front camera.

And my ultimate goal is to kill the tiny picture in my rear view mirror when the headunit goes in, and have both cameras display on the unit. I’m totally fine with the rear camera only coming on in reverse (just as it does now) but I would really like to have an override button that would allow me to display the front camera anytime I want. If that button (like the one I linked above) gave me the option of displaying either camera “on demand” that would just be an added bonus. I’ll keep researching and see what I can find. It’s good to know the unit has an on screen button that can be placed on the home screen for easy access and that it offers and “auto on” option for a set period of time. I just don’t always go from reverse into drive before parking near a wall, pole or other vehicle so having a button would be ideal.

17. Mar 5, 2020 at 8:23 AM
    mrclutch25

mrclutch25 New Member

Member:
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Speedway Blue Toyota Tacoma 4x4 4 door TRD Sport LB (196k miles)
    Wet Okole Seat Covers Bilstein 5100 shocks 4 leaf spring TSB 4Runner TRD Pro 17 inch Matte Grey Rims Hankook LT265/70/R17 10-ply tires Dasaita 9" Android Touch Screen Radio Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5 components (front doors) Hybrid Audio Clarus 5 mid woofers (back doors) JL Audio 12TW3-4 Subwoofer in custom fiberglass enclosure behind passenger back seat JL Audio HD 900/5 Amplifier RAAMmat in doors and back wall Added Bluetooth buttons to steering wheel Toyota Bed Mat 2013 Toyota Tacoma Running Boards Interior LED Lights Spyder Projector Headlights Light Bar DRL Weathertech floor mats Tyger Auto T3 Tri-Fold Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
    So I missed a point you brought up at the end. The option to turn on front camera after reverse camera that flips from reverse camera to front camera, works if you go to reverse to park or reverse to drive. So I think that would work in your situation you described in your last paragraph or as you mentioned can just quickly hit the front camera button on the radio.

As for having JBL, shouldn't affect your front camera, the front camera install is a completely separate wire/install. It will have the yellow RCA, a ground (black wire) and a power/hot (red wire) that you install completely separate from the existing wiring/canbus. You'll just need to tap into the red accessory for power and the ground for ground and then directly plug into the aftermarket radio that supports a front camera. Then at least in my case you can test/use with the FCAM button that is available on the Android screen. Now this is for Dasaita and I can't say for certain if the Seicane has the exact same interface/button for their front camera input. In essence, this front camera button on the aftermarket radio is the 'override' button to flip and show the front camera you installed versus I assume a physical button that something like the Car Solutions Kit includes since the OEM radio or another radio that doesn't have a separate front camera input and button interface. This override allows you to use the one camera input on the OEM radio but flip between 2 cameras. Hope that makes sense.

As for killing or not having the OEM back up camera show in the rear view mirror and only in the aftermarket radio, that I'm not completely sure of but I'm sure there is a way to 'cut' the wire/connection that goes to the rearview mirror but just be careful so it doesn't just power on and show a blue/empty screen in the rear view mirror. I never explored not showing it so again not sure but I'm pretty sure I've read some doing it somewhere. As for always having the backup camera powered, you would have to figure out a way to change what powers it in the OEM wiring from when in reverse to an accessory power cable to its always on. Again I haven't explored this so not exactly sure the best approach.

Good luck!

18. Mar 5, 2020 at 9:37 AM
    09TRDSport4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Southwest Ohio
    So, I know some of the others in this thread can probably correct me if I’m wrong here, but doesn’t this unit allow you to select what each of your factory steering wheel buttons do?

If so, is one of the options available for the aux cam? That would be amazing if it is, because that would eliminate my need for an on screen or separate button to enable the front camera. I could set the “push to talk” or the “mode” button to enable the front camera and I’d be 100% set.

19. Mar 5, 2020 at 1:06 PM
    theolee

Member:
    First Name:
    Theo
    SAN DIEGO
    Vehicle:
    It might, let me check and I'll let you know in a bit :thumbsup:

20. Mar 5, 2020 at 4:46 PM
    theolee