1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dasaita Head Unit for 2nd Gen Tacoma

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by mcgrath.travism, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Aug 2, 2019 at 8:32 AM
    jpereira2

jpereira2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2013 double cab trd off road
    Bilstein 6112 4th notch Bilstein 5160 rear Camburg ball joint UCAs Old man emu dakar leafs 265/75R16 Cooper ST Maxx Crux stereo a/v interface UltraGauge ARE fiberglass cap Wet okole seat covers Retro fit source Led fog lights Superbrightled pods in rear bumper Superbrightled light bar in grill Rock blokz mud flaps SOS Rock Sliders RCI Skid Plates (to be painted and mounted)
    Not sure what you ended up paying but I made a lower offer on the unit. I'll see what they come back with.

2. Aug 2, 2019 at 12:54 PM
    mcgrath.travism

mcgrath.travism [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    '13 TSS Edition
    Yeah I low balled them on there and slowly worked up to just over 400. Price was listed at 477 when I started so I was content with that.

I tested out the mirror link with the built in app EasyConnect. Worked well enough but only some functions work through the touch screen. There may be more app options for mirroring. There were some issues with that and headunit reloaded if I had them both working. If only one was installed they connected instantly but as soon as had both installed at the same time neither would work. I think because they're both trying to connect to the phone at the same time it was causing issues.

I use headunit reloaded myself and love it.

Biscuits and jpereira2 like this.
  3. Aug 4, 2019 at 5:38 AM
    jpereira2

jpereira2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2013 double cab trd off road
    Bilstein 6112 4th notch Bilstein 5160 rear Camburg ball joint UCAs Old man emu dakar leafs 265/75R16 Cooper ST Maxx Crux stereo a/v interface UltraGauge ARE fiberglass cap Wet okole seat covers Retro fit source Led fog lights Superbrightled pods in rear bumper Superbrightled light bar in grill Rock blokz mud flaps SOS Rock Sliders RCI Skid Plates (to be painted and mounted)
    Radio officially ordered they came down to 415

4. Aug 5, 2019 at 7:34 AM
    mcgrath.travism

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    '13 TSS Edition
    Damn you beat me.... I paid 417.

jpereira2 likes this.
  5. Aug 7, 2019 at 1:57 PM
    cromag27

cromag27 THE insurance expert - licensed in all 50 states

Member:
    First Name:
    dexter morgan (matt)
    phx-ish
    Vehicle:
    2011 trd off road dcsb
    i’m not sure if this helps, but i finally took my dash apart today to see how that lower hazard unit is held in place on my 2011.

2BD6FA92-41DE-49B8-AE62-45D6E1D367C7.jpg
    two small screws on either side.

95250EA9-F9C4-489C-8E64-3B9ED2AE6A27.jpg
    three tabs along the bottom.

03F533A9-0329-4E73-8240-42BF6D3B98B9.jpg
    three locking tabs along the top.

6. Aug 7, 2019 at 2:09 PM
    mcgrath.travism

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    '13 TSS Edition
    I think that's the bracket that this radio is designed for. I found a radio on eBay that has the bracket out for a better view. Now I have to see if I can find just that bracket so I can buy one.

Screenshot_20190807-160802(1).jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Aug 8, 2019 at 12:52 AM
    arcenik

arcenik TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    ][-][//-\\\/\///-\\][][
    Vehicle:
    2015 X-Runner
    So I got mine in today and did most of the install also. It is installed into a 2015 tacoma

I bought the Seicane Octa Core unit.

Some things to note with this unit. It came with plugs for all the years and there different wiring setups, it also looked to be comparable with the JBL system, I removed the plugs I did not need.

I had to install a voltage converter to convert the 12v rear camera power output to 6v for the stock camera. I tested this and it works good.

It would not recognize all of the steering wheel buttons because the 2015 has 3 separate swc(swc1,swc2,swc3) outputs from the steering wheel and the android unit only has 2 (key1, Key2) swc inputs on the unit. I put a 4.7k ohm resistor on swc3 output from the steering wheel and connected it in parallel with swc2. This made all the buttons work but the return/back button and center button of the direction buttons are same. I tried several different resistors and this is the best I came up with in the time I had. I am fine with this setup.

I have the same issue with the hazard button as the OP. if you find a source for that bracket let me know it looks like that would solve the issue.

I will post some pictures tomorrow, I still need to do little more work on the install.

jpereira2 likes this.
  8. Aug 8, 2019 at 7:18 AM
    cromag27

Member:
    First Name:
    dexter morgan (matt)
    phx-ish
    Vehicle:
    2011 trd off road dcsb
    if possible, could you do a quick write up of wiring the backup camera as well?

GARSHA91 likes this.
  9. Aug 8, 2019 at 10:51 PM
    arcenik

arcenik TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    ][-][//-\\\/\///-\\][][
    Vehicle:
    2015 X-Runner
    So I have a 2005 sitting in my driveway with a blown head gasket. I decided today to pull out the radio and see if it has the bracket the op showed above.

It does have the bracket the op showed.
    IMG_2871.jpg

you need to break down the whole radio to get it out. I doubt that they will sell it as a separate piece.
    IMG_2872.jpg

it does fit but I was only able to get the center one of the 3 screws at the top. I had to break off the other tabs as they would not let it mount flush and they did not line up anyway.
    IMG_2875.jpg

IMG_2876.jpg

some photos of the radio installed
    IMG_2881.jpg

lights on
    IMG_2884.jpg

10. Aug 8, 2019 at 11:18 PM
    arcenik

arcenik TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    ][-][//-\\\/\///-\\][][
    Vehicle:
    2015 X-Runner
    Some wiring I had to do, this might be slightly different from the OP's unit.

IMG_2877.jpg IMG_2880.jpg

11. Aug 9, 2019 at 7:50 AM
    cromag27

Member:
    First Name:
    dexter morgan (matt)
    phx-ish
    Vehicle:
    2011 trd off road dcsb
    so did you reroute the wires that plug into the rear view mirror?

12. Aug 9, 2019 at 9:08 AM
    mcgrath.travism

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    '13 TSS Edition
    @arcenik how well does that bracket hold the hazard/clock in?

If it's solid enough I can find a radio for cheap at a junk yard and just pull the bracket apart. If it's not great I'll just leave it glued in with the hot glue until I have an issue.

Also, what steering wheel is that!?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  13. Aug 9, 2019 at 10:05 AM
    arcenik

arcenik TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    ][-][//-\\\/\///-\\][][
    Vehicle:
    2015 X-Runner

The bracket fits goods, but my hazard button moves in the bracket a little causing the button to get stuck sometimes. I need to pull the radio and see if there is anything i can do. I am using my 2015 button in the 2005 bracket this might be the issue. The bracket does help hold the bottom of the face plate on better because it now uses the clips to secure to the dash.

I am probably going to put two screws shown in the picture below to help hold the button from moving.
    IMG_2876.jpg

The steering wheel is an ebay sports wheel for a 2014 corolla. I changed the LED in the wheel controls to red also.
    I am probably going to pull the radio again and de-pin the second rca harness to make more room in the back of the radio. I am only using one of the rca inputs on that entire harness. Its pretty difficult to get all those wires behind the radio nicely.

14. Aug 11, 2019 at 4:42 AM
    rob feature

rob feature Tacos!

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 V6 X-Cab SR5
    Shocks. Pegs. Lucky.
    2V outputs all around and a 70 dB S/N ratio with 60 dB channel separation. And a frequency range on the output section of 42HZ- 20KHZ :eek:. It's cutting out more than an octave on the low end! Sound quality wasn't a big concern for the designers.

15. Aug 12, 2019 at 10:20 AM
    Sterling_vH111

Sterling_vH111 Go do something real instead.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sterling
    socal
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB Prerunner V6
    Secretly Long Travel & Supercharged
    Has anyone messed with the obd2 feature / reader ?
    I’m interested in that aspect of it..
    (Additional purchase? Bluetooth adapter? Wired plug to obd2?)

Also OP, the one on eBay vs the one on Seicane: just more memory for downloading songs / movies and a faster cpu? Or what are the other differences I’m missing? (Why the $50-$100 price increase)

Last Q... is this multimedia system mostly plug&play ? It looks like it comes with wiring harness’ on the Seicane site, but also you all seem to be making your own wire harnesses and individually matching each wire to its correct place on oem harnesses ?

Thanks !
    I’m in love with this compared to my current 7yr old Pioneer head unit

16. Aug 12, 2019 at 10:49 AM
    arcenik

arcenik TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    ][-][//-\\\/\///-\\][][
    Vehicle:
    2015 X-Runner
    I tried to connect my obd2 reader to see if I could get the torque app to work but it would not connect to my obdlink mx. What I did notice is that it can only connect to one Bluetooth device at a time.

I cant speak for the Dasaita unit but the Seicane was (almost)plug and play for a 2011-2015 depending on the amount of steering wheel controls you have. The only thing I had to modify was the voltage output for the camera to 6v and I modified the steering wheel controls to connect the rest of the buttons that did not work(4.7kohm resistor).

I also bought a few adapters, these are not needed but i wanted to reduce the amount of parts installed in the truck

This is the adapter to use the stock GPS antenna. This changed the stock plug to a female push type connector
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K03PORU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But you also need this adapter. This will change the head unit from threaded to male push type connector.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y631SY1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the voltage converter I used to drop the voltage to 6v for the rear camera. This is only needed if you have the camera in the stock head unit.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CGQRIFG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Adapter to keep the stock usb plug
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BCCK5N3

17. Aug 12, 2019 at 11:20 AM
    mcgrath.travism

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    '13 TSS Edition
    For my 2013 the Dasaita was completely plug and play. There were three plugs for steering wheel controls on the headunit but the truck only had two plugs and the controls work great.

I kept the camera in my rearview mirror so I cant comment on that.

I used the GPS antenna that came with the unit. I coiled the cable up and used the double sided tape to actually stick the receiver to the top of the unit. There is only plastic above it inside the dash and I haven't had any issues with reception.

Between the top level Seicane unit and the Dasaita it seems the plastic dash frame is basically identical as is the screen. I think the internals are what differ. I wanted the extra internal storage because I loaded about 40 gb of music onto my unit. I also wanted the DSP for sound control as I am running aftermarket components and amps. I can't compare to the seicane but the PX6 cpu and the ram in the Dasaita seem to keep it nice and snappy.

One note to make is that the seicane seems to have carplay built in and the Dasaita does not. I purchased a carplay dongle on eBay for 45 dollars and it works flawlessly for carplay. Personally I am an Android guy so I use Android auto with the headunit Reloaded app and it works great as well.

Regarding the audio output that was mentioned by @rob feature I have run test tones through the stereo from 20 hz to 20khz. All tones are audible and the DSP does well enough for managing the audio. I have my mid range amp gains turned just about all the way down and my sub amp is only about 1/4 up. The preamps may not be as strong as the pioneer I pulled out but they are strong enough to get a decent signal.

Sterling_vH111 likes this.
  18. Aug 12, 2019 at 12:46 PM
    arcenik

arcenik TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    ][-][//-\\\/\///-\\][][
    Vehicle:
    2015 X-Runner
    I would say the Dasaita is the better radio to go with the PX6 processor is a lot faster. It looks like both units will be the same in comparison to plug and play, the Seicane came with 3 plugs for the steering wheel controls also. I think where it differs is the Seicane came with a rearview camera plug but it needs to be modified to work.

I guess it comes down to price

Dasaita = $451.99 free shipping on ebay.

Seicane = $254.00 + $50 shipping on Alibaba.com this same radio on seicane.com costs $363.00

I did not want to spend that much in the beginning as I was not sure if would even like the android units. But now that i know what they are like, the next one I buy would be a Dasaita as the seem to be the best around.

19. Aug 12, 2019 at 2:29 PM
    arcenik

arcenik TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    ][-][//-\\\/\///-\\][][
    Vehicle:
    2015 X-Runner
    Does your carplay dongle have different volumes for music and calls? When I take a call the volume is low, so of course I turn it up. But when the call is finished the music is blasting loud. This is using the zlink app for carplay. Everything else with the carplay works great.

I also ordered a wireless carplay dongle, I hope it works as good as wired, but without the volume issues.

20. Aug 12, 2019 at 2:45 PM
    rob feature

rob feature Tacos!

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 V6 X-Cab SR5
    Shocks. Pegs. Lucky.
    Gotcha - good to hear it's better in practice than on paper. Also good to hear you have 20 - 42 Hz covered. Most can't make that claim.

camillethetoy likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top