1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dasaita Head Unit for 2nd Gen Tacoma

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by mcgrath.travism, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Mar 31, 2021 at 2:57 PM
    TheTacoAbides

TheTacoAbides Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle:
    2013 Black Tacoma SR5
    Rough country 3" lift and level. Tuff AT 20" rims. Nitto Terra Grappler G2.
    I have the 2013 non-JBL with mirror mounted backup camera, so take this with a grain of salt. I had a series of discussions with Dasaita about the proper components that would be needed for my application. They insisted that I would need their CANBUS adapter to be able to retain steering wheel controls as well as provide for the backup camera. I tried multiple times to explain about the mirror mount location, but eventually just ordered the components for peace of mind. Turns out that the steering wheel controls work both with and without the CANBUS module. Therefore it leads me to believe it does more than just CANBUS translations. For me, in the included harness was an RCA output that I was led to believe would provide the OEM backup camera signal to the RCA camera input on the head unit. Since I don't have the proper backup camera, I can't confirm. I still have the harness and I can take pictures if you want to see if it matches up to your particular harness. Keep in mind that there are multiple adapters connections for similar functions across different units that in the final assembly will not be used. This can be a little misleading trying to confirm their function.

2. Apr 1, 2021 at 4:50 PM
    packrobottom

packrobottom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pack
    Vehicle:
    Sky Silver SR5 DC v6 with sport mods
  3. Apr 2, 2021 at 12:52 AM
    nudavinci64

nudavinci64 Robert @ Holy Horsepower

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    San Mateo/Cayucos, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 S/C TRD OffRoad 4x4
    Boosted Money Pit....
    Yes. If you have a a rear view version all you need to do is tap and run a wire and get a plug and you good to go. I have mine running in rear view and head unit. If it’s head unit only then the can bud will give you rear camera action

4. Apr 2, 2021 at 9:38 AM
    packrobottom

Member:
    First Name:
    Pack
    Vehicle:
    This isn't clear are you saying if I have factory backup camera but it displays in the head unit I need canbus but if it displays in the top Riew mirror I don't

5. Apr 2, 2021 at 10:37 AM
    TheTacoAbides

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle:
    2013 Black Tacoma SR5
    What is the year of your truck and the model of the OEM head unit? Specifically - is your OEM backup camera displayed in the OEM rearveiw mirror or in the OEM radio head unit?

I can speak to a 2013, non-JBL rearview mirror display configuration. After lengthy consultation with Dasaita, they were adamant that I would need their CANBUS adapter to provide steering wheel controls and that it would "take the CANBUS backup camera image and allow it to be displayed in the new head unit". While the steering wheel controls could indeed be enabled with the CANBUS adapter, they would also work with the standard wiring harness without CANBUS. There was no rearview camera image provided on CANBUS for my vehicle and no possible connection in the radio wiring harness to even provide an analog source. This leads me to believe that the auxiliary wiring harness they sell does more that just interpret CANBUS. If memory serves, there are threads available where others who have had non-JBL OEM head units with rearview camera in the head unit and have sought to transfer that capability to other head units. IIRC the main issue was in the power to the OEM camera (6V versus standard 12V) and wiring the signal to a standard RCA input plug. Without direct experience, I think the Dasaita auxullary wiring harness they recommend provides adaptations that allow for the power/signal changes and give you the functionality to: power on the camera in reverse, prompt display of camera in head unit, power off in drive, return to A/V display.

Given the lag time in ordering, it may be in your best interest to order the CANBUS adapter as suggested. It will have multiple plugs/adapters for a variety of different equipment configurations. The installation instructions are meager, at best, but there are only a finite number of possible choices. It may turn into process of elimination, but you can eventually find your way.

packrobottom likes this.
  6. Apr 3, 2021 at 8:07 AM
    packrobottom

Member:
    First Name:
    Pack
    Vehicle:
    Thanks man I am gonna do that appreciate the help

7. Apr 8, 2021 at 4:57 AM
    US1973MC

US1973MC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2007 4wd Taco Access
    K&N, XM, Trifecta Tonneau
    I had a realization/thought the other day while contemplating my upcoming Dasaita installation in my 2007 Taco. I don't have phone controls on the steering wheel no microphone for the bluetooth. How have the rest of you Gen 2 folks dealt with this? As far as steering wheel buttons, I'm not too worried but I am a bit concerned about the lack of a phone mike.
    TIA

8. Apr 8, 2021 at 5:46 AM
    theolee

theolee www.nickleecreations.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Theo
    SAN DIEGO
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 Tacoma SR5 Pre-Runner AC 4.0
    It has an intergraded mic in the head unit and comes with wired one also. I don't have a the bluetooth steering wheel buttons either and it works fine. You can also program the steering wheel buttons to do what you want. Hope this helps. :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  9. Apr 8, 2021 at 11:48 AM
    TheTacoAbides

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle:
    2013 Black Tacoma SR5
    Adding to what @theolee said, the integrated microphone worked surprisingly well. I tried to futz with getting the external microphone up the A pillar and by the shade pivot thinking it would pick up my voice more directly, but the integrated actually performed better. As far as phone controls go, when there is an incoming call it will pop up a window with red/green icons to decline/answer the call. It's a little more distracting than using a thumb on steering wheel controls, but easy to use. Making calls is a function of whatever dialer app you choose to use. Event though a steering wheel control might initiate it, you still have to focus your attention to find the contract and complete the calling action.

theolee likes this.
  10. Apr 9, 2021 at 8:29 AM
    US1973MC

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2007 4wd Taco Access
    Thanks Guys! I'm looking forward to finding a day to get the OEM unit out and this one installed. Really appreciate all the good info from everyone on this thread!

theolee likes this.
  11. Apr 21, 2021 at 8:14 PM
    jburner

jburner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD DCSB Black
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  12. Apr 21, 2021 at 10:01 PM
    theolee

theolee www.nickleecreations.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Theo
    SAN DIEGO
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 Tacoma SR5 Pre-Runner AC 4.0
  13. Apr 22, 2021 at 3:38 PM
    US1973MC

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2007 4wd Taco Access
  14. Apr 23, 2021 at 7:07 AM
    jburner

jburner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD DCSB Black
    There are so many variations of this... what is the difference between this and the link I shared. What were you able to negotiate price wise? I’m a bit hesitant to order from Chna because of return shipping order times etc.

I also have an old 2012 radio with bezel and I’m not sure if the plastic hazard insert will work. I’m looking for pics of what the 2011 insert looks like vs 2012. As far as I could see, it almost looks identical.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  15. Apr 23, 2021 at 5:33 PM
    ZColorado

ZColorado Well-Known Member

Member:
    Near Boulder Colorado
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR 6MT
    35's,Kings, NWF, 488, Harrop, SPC, Archive, Method, RCI, C4

I had to buy a 2008-2011 stock stereo and remove the hazard bracket to make my 2013 hazard fit in the stereo.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    jburner[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Apr 23, 2021 at 7:12 PM
    barnstormer399

barnstormer399 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCSB
    does the dasaita allow any Bluetooth device? Was about to pull the trigger on a joying until I saw they only all9w their own few BT devices.

17. Apr 24, 2021 at 11:23 AM
    TheTacoAbides

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle:
    2013 Black Tacoma SR5
    I have the Dasaita Android 10, PX6 unit. It comes with BT 5.0 and I've used it with iPhone, OBDII and Android tablet BT connections. It will allow simultaneous OBD and iPhone connections over BT. I didn't try the Android tablet with anything else, but I would expect it to work the same.

jburner and barnstormer399 like this.
  18. Apr 24, 2021 at 5:57 PM
    tacosteve60

tacosteve60 2007 Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2007 tacoma
    Black out badges Window graphics North Mountain bed cover Sony Android auto Upgraded speakers Towing mirrors Upgraded headlights Upgraded grill with lights Led headlights and fog lights Vent visors 3" RC leveling kit Mickey Thompson 275/65R17 17x9.5 Ford Raptor wheels. Runningboards New mud flaps. On my list Instrument gage light change. Switch light change Clock light change Temp light change. 32" light bar in lower grill. Led taillights Extra backup lights
    cant find any place for sirus radio hook up.

19. Apr 24, 2021 at 8:32 PM
    TheTacoAbides

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle:
    2013 Black Tacoma SR5
    There is not an internal decoder nor antenna for the SXM system. It is possible to use an external decoder/antenna (like the Onyz Plus) and route the audio output to the aux input of the Dasaita. However you will have to use the Onyz to navigate the SXM stations and set the initial volumes.

If you have an existing subscription, then you can use the SXM android app with an active internet connection to listen to your same stations in the head unit. At one point they were not simulcasting sports events onto the app. I believe there was such an uproar that they might have caved in. If real time sports is your use case, then you might want to make sure before going this route.

20. Apr 25, 2021 at 3:42 AM
    tacosteve60

tacosteve60 2007 Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2007 tacoma
    Black out badges Window graphics North Mountain bed cover Sony Android auto Upgraded speakers Towing mirrors Upgraded headlights Upgraded grill with lights Led headlights and fog lights Vent visors 3" RC leveling kit Mickey Thompson 275/65R17 17x9.5 Ford Raptor wheels. Runningboards New mud flaps. On my list Instrument gage light change. Switch light change Clock light change Temp light change. 32" light bar in lower grill. Led taillights Extra backup lights
    Thanks.
    I already have the plug and play unit from my existing radio.

Products Discussed in

To Top