1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dash cam decisions... need some advice/help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by pearing, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Dec 4, 2019 at 12:49 PM
    Bubbarut

Bubbarut Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Super White Access Cab V6 4x4 6SPD Manual
    The "REC" button is only used to start and stop recording if you want to manually stop it for whatever reason. The bigger button in the middle with the triangle with the "!" inside it is used to lock your videos so they cant be deleted. However a disc format will delete them. When I save a video I just look at the videos thru my phone and download it to my phone. The locked videos will have a pic of a lock on the thumbnail to help identify the video better. I have never took the card out and looked at the videos on my computer.

They also make a wireless button that you can place anywhere and hit it whenever you want to save a video. Im too cheap for that.

klavender1[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Dec 4, 2019 at 2:33 PM
    PasswordIsTaco123

PasswordIsTaco123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRDOR
    2015 Silver Bullet Taco Installed: 5100's W OME887's +1/4leanspacer Toytec Boss Rear shocks Headstrong AAL + 1/2in block Ubolt Flip W superbumps Front Superbumps CB drop kit 4runner Trail Edition 17in Wheels Tires: Falken Wildpeak At3 C-load 275/70/17 Hooke Road Roof Rack Have but may/may not install Ex rear brake lines diff drop
    yep I have an A129 Duo, the big yellow button in the middle is the "I just saw something, make the current recording locked"
    The REC button is to turn on and off the recording while its on. It will automatically start recording when you turn the car on, but to get to the menus you have to stop the recording so im guessing thats why they have that button.
    Theres also a thing you can connect to it thats a bluetooth button that if you hit it it automatically write protects the file too.
    It saves all these specific files into a "RO" folder preventing them from being recorded over, but also can access easily like youre saying.

its got wifi so you can look at the footage on your phone, and download it to your phone (takes forever cause its transferring 3gb files over slow wifi)

I will say for the price, this duo camera dealio is pretty good with 1080p30fps on both front and rear cameras, however I have had some issues with reliability on the buffered parking mode.
    it requires a hardwire kit (most parking mode cams require this or some sort of battery system). The buffered parking mode, once it notices motion it will record the previous 15 seconds, and then the 45 seconds after the initial motion or until the motion in the frame is gone. Great for seeing the events leading up to someone smashing a cart into your car or whatnot in a parking lot instead of just the moments after the impact/gsensor register.
    This feature is awesome... when it works. Many times ive had it record the first 2-3hours of parking, and then it just stops recording for no reason that I and some other users have found. The hardwire kit/battery has plenty of juice, high endurance card (made for dashcams) has plenty of space to record and proper type of card, yet for some reason it stops writing the events to the card.

I have been back and forth with Viofo on troubleshooting with no reliable solution. Sometimes ill get buffered parking mode recordings to work all night long, for a couple days in a row. But inevitably at some point during the week, the buffered parking mode will work for the first 2-3 hours of being parked, and then suddenly just not work at all or write files to the card again until i get back in the next morning and fire it up. so ill be missing recording files from like 8pm-7am when i get in to leave for work in the morning.
    Super frustrating when I chose it specifically for the buffered parking mode with front and rear cameras.

Regular parking modes work fine though so its not a total loss, I will say they do recommend to just put it in timelapse or low bitrate mode for parking, and that basically covers you and i havent seen files or times missing from that yet. Timelapse has plenty of options of 1 photo every .5sec-1 minute depending on how big of file sizes you want. and low bitrate essentially just records video but at lower quality so it doesnt take up as much space but still 1080p.

For $130 or whatever theyre selling for now, its pretty good, but if you dont need the rear camera, id say go with the Vantrue T2 with the microwave motion sensor and buffered parking mode. I think its roughly the same price, but the buffered parking mode works better on that if you dont need front and rear cameras.

If you want 4k, i think Viofo just came out with a A129 Pro that does 4k. I previously had a VAVA 4k cam (less popular version than the circular one) and it was perfect for price/reliability, some douche-canoe stole it though.

Blackvue and Thinkware are both highly rated higher quality and recommended, but higher price too.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    klavender1[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Dec 4, 2019 at 2:50 PM
    Suprasabre

Suprasabre SOCal Motorcycle Commuter. Yes, I Split Lanes!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Cedar City Utah
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Limited MGM 4x4
    none
    Last Month (11-12) I was riding my motorcycle into work when the guy in the right lane decided to change lanes at the moment I was passing him.

Not often you get to see cameras in use!

Not only did I have a camera system on my bike (INNOVV K2) the gal directly behind the guy, that hit me, had a dashcam!

So I caught the accident on two different cameras from two different angles!

And BTW, the cop that wrote up the report, put him at 100% fault!

Now, before you view them and get all bent out of sorts, because I was Lane Splitting, In Kalifornia it is LEGAL! So I was NOT doing anything wrong and I've been doing this for 48 years, have over 600,000 miles on motorcycles, most of it commuting and many miles of Lane Splitting. And this is the first accident I have ever had Lane Splitting. So I will ignore any and all derogatory comments about Lane Splitting!

First is her dashcam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYUtpqhzKqU

Then mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbVJY4IEI-0

4. Dec 4, 2019 at 3:03 PM
    TACOMA2NDGEN

TACOMA2NDGEN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ROLAND
    new jersey
    Vehicle:
    2010 dcsb silver sport trd
    baja squadron pros
    I have this one
    YI Smart Dash Cam, 2.7" Screen 1080P60 Full HD 165 Wide Angle Front Dashboard Camera Car DVR Vehicle Recorder with ADAS, G-Sensor, Phone APP, WDR, Loop Recording - Grey https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C89GCHU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_rQd6DbQVMDDYX
    i hard wired it in so I wouldn’t have to see the wires. Great picture and i can veiw it on my iphone

5. Dec 10, 2019 at 7:31 AM
    Mr. Excitement

Mr. Excitement Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Custom floormats, fuzzy dice
    Damn dude. Hope you are alright. I had so many close calls in CA and one person did about the same to me so I finally got a cam. Mostly just record people acting like A holes. Stay safe man!

6. May 5, 2022 at 7:06 PM
    dwcfastrice

dwcfastrice Bacon makes everything better.

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Southeast PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Silver Mica DCSB
    So far: 2.5" Icon Lift, Steel Front bumper, steel rear bumper, Cali Raised Bed Stiffener, 12Volt.Solutions remote start, Stereo upgrade, A Pillar Ram Mounts, BAMF Behind the grill light mount with Sylania 20" bar; KB Voodoo Max 22" Rack, CVT Awning, Decked drawer system, pod lights
    Reviving an old thread here. Looking specifically for a dash cam that uses a 1/4 threaded post to mount to its holder.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

7. May 5, 2022 at 8:18 PM
    Biodegradable

Biodegradable Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winnipeg
    Vehicle:
    10 4x4 SR5 DBLC LB
    ALL-PRO Skid, Nokian R-SUV winters, weather tech, bak flip fibermax
  8. May 5, 2022 at 10:11 PM
    TacoTuesday1

TacoTuesday1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    I ordered a Viofo A129 kit but haven’t figured out which memory card to get. I hear it has to be a specific one with large storage and fast speed. Maybe I’ll go with what’s recommended with it on Amazon lower down the page under “frequently bought together” to keep it simple.

fingers crossed hopefully it works well when I get around to installing it.
    This month has been fine.
    But the month before almost got hit in the front multiple times.

without a dash cam it would devolve into he said she said

9. May 5, 2022 at 11:00 PM
    Codeka

Codeka Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pasadena, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport
    no problems with my 70mai m500 over here. Lane keep assist can throw maybe 1 false departure a ride(if your streets essentially look plaid like they do here in socal), but the pedestrian warning makes it worth the price alone from my experience. Even in super low light it still picks up on people in the parking lot, and the lens is pretty damn good too. 170 degrees, can see both pillars mounted in the middle, so nothing escapes the front of the car. Parking assist is a bit jank though, it keeps reading me closing my door as an accident so it warns me, but thats whatever. car moving alerts and such are useful in the city too, especially if you tend to multitask

10. May 6, 2022 at 5:13 AM
    Biodegradable

Biodegradable Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winnipeg
    Vehicle:
    10 4x4 SR5 DBLC LB
    ALL-PRO Skid, Nokian R-SUV winters, weather tech, bak flip fibermax
    You should be fine with most of the top brands of cards. I think I ordered their card with it and the place gave me a sandisk. I also live in very cold climate in Canada so the Viofo handled it great!

11. May 6, 2022 at 6:58 AM
    SH7mi

SH7mi YotaWerx Pro Tune PA MD DE NJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    West Grove, Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma DCLB OR Black YotaWerx Tune
    AE manifold spacer Bed lights Seat Jackers Blackvue Dashcam YotaWerx Tuned Fumoto Oil Pan Valve
    I’ve had a Blackvue for a few years, in my opinion avoid the ‘high end’ like BlackVue and Thinkware. Completely unnecessary with all their gadgets/functions. It just gets confusing.
    Go with Viofo, Garmin or the like. Don’t waste your money. We have these dash cams ‘just in case’.

12. May 6, 2022 at 8:47 AM
    Raylo

Raylo Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5 OffRoad; (2009 Tacoma - sold)
    All stock, except for audio and convenience add-ons
    I have the Viofo A129 duo Pro 4k front/1080p rear with hard wire kit. Install is pretty easy using fuse taps. Good picture quality, records in 5 minute segments. Has the usual feature to lock a segment with a button press if something happens and you don't want it overwritten. I don't use a filter and I don't use parking mode. It also has wifi and you can view or download the videos that way, but it is easier and faster to just pop the card out and put in in a computer. But the wifi is useful for adjusting settings.

Here are front and rear clips from an incident I witnessed last week, in case you didn't see my other post.

https://youtu.be/bkFwN6C6h7c

https://youtu.be/Y6On-lBdnaw

Last edited: May 6, 2022
  13. May 6, 2022 at 8:51 AM
    Raylo

Raylo Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5 OffRoad; (2009 Tacoma - sold)
    All stock, except for audio and convenience add-ons
    Man, I know it is legal, but you guys are brave to be splitting lanes on a motorcycle. Maybe Ca drivers are more familiar with it... although this one sure didn't have a clue. But around the DC area you'd be lucky to survive a day or 2 splitting lanes.

To Top