1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dash Camera Choices?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by docsg, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Feb 10, 2016 at 7:44 AM
    tgear.shead

tgear.shead Well-Known Member

Member:
    The "name brand" products may be made in the chinese sweat shops, but to non-chinese specifications, and not running chinese software, and not in violation of licensing agreements.

2. Feb 10, 2016 at 7:47 AM
    Iamraiderpower

Iamraiderpower Well-Known Member

Member:
    subbed for future purchase!

BelizeMe likes this.
  3. Feb 15, 2016 at 1:37 PM
    BelizeMe

BelizeMe Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Plano
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Tacoma 4x4 base with utility package.
    None, first timer looking for recommendations.
    I went to Best Buy they had a GoPro rep in the store with all the latest GoPro stuff. He wanted to see the factory mount so we went out and sat in my truck we tried different cameras and attachments. The GoPro Hero4 Session makes a cool little dashcam, with wireless access on your smartphone you can playback, change settings, etc... Also to take the camera out of the case or the mount was a breeze no wires or anything to mess with. Looked at many dashcams and mirror dashcams, still interested as we'll drive through Mexico next year and want to have a good reliable setup.

4. Feb 15, 2016 at 1:42 PM
    Iamraiderpower

Iamraiderpower Well-Known Member

Member:
    So what is the best battery powered one folks?

5. Feb 15, 2016 at 3:27 PM
    Joe23

Joe23 Canuckistikian

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    I have a DOD Tech dashcam. the sw460, very very happy with it. and got it for a great price.

6. Feb 15, 2016 at 8:14 PM
    stealthmode

stealthmode Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2016 Short N Stubby Bed- MGM
    Front and Rear lifts Tires ECGS bushing Lots of other crap +HP sticker
    There is probably a cam that does this already, but it would be sweet if one recorded inside the cabin as well when you vehicle left parked. :fenforcer:

7. Feb 15, 2016 at 8:33 PM
    Bishop84

Bishop84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ^ Lots of dash cams have batteries that record when motion is detected.

IMG_20160206_131459_d06614fb524c85f28585f22320f4d6d65d1d6dc2.jpg

I have a stadard G1W-C capacitor style dash cam, I wanted reliable and cheap, and its been good to me for 2 years, only recently hardwired it to the Taco.

I mounted to the mirror so its easier to control, the gopro mount is too far to reach I found.

Video sample. Pretty good for 80$ canadian. Youtube destroyed a bit of the quality, but you can get the jist.

MadDaddy and stealthmode like this.
  8. Feb 15, 2016 at 8:41 PM
    stealthmode

stealthmode Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2016 Short N Stubby Bed- MGM
    Front and Rear lifts Tires ECGS bushing Lots of other crap +HP sticker
    How hard is the wiring into power source so no wire hanging down?

9. Feb 15, 2016 at 8:51 PM
    Bishop84

Bishop84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I wired into a main relayed power source in my junction box. I dissected the cig adapter and soldered wires to the ends. Wasn't hard but it takes a bit of electrical know how.

I was driving around with my gopro as a dash cam and the hanging wire was driving me mental.

My old car I just tucked the wires on the passenger side and into the cigarette lighter.

10. Feb 16, 2016 at 8:17 PM
    docsg

docsg [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2020 White TRD OR SBDC
    Raptor 4" oval rails, OEM door sill protectors, totally debadged, OEM mud guards, OEM bed mat, OEM S/S tail pipe extension, BDT tailgate letters, Weather Tech sun screen.
    I started this thread and your post has convinced me. However, I am going to order the GoPro Silver Hero4. I wanted the LCD and changeable batteries. Also will order the 3' right angle cord so I can run it off the micro port for long trips (don't mind the cord hanging down), extra batteries/charger, and case, etc. Plan to use the GoPro for other things besides a dash cam. There are several videos on YouTube of people using this model as a dash cam. Downside: Need to remove it when parked and truck is out of view. It would be a "come steal me" magnet. Many of the posts reported about good service from a variety of dash cams but regardless of their cost I assume they would be ripe for thefts as well if left in the vehicle. It will wind up costing double what a good dash cam costs but on another thread members are discussing the new TRD Pro with prices north of $45K! So the $150 more doesn't seem so bad.

11. Feb 17, 2016 at 2:59 AM
    mello03

mello03 Dr. Dirty

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    2020 F250 6.7
    X2 on this. Can a few guys chime in on how they are powering (specifically hardwiring) these things in? I am gonna pull the trigger on one. Thinking there's 12v accessory power at the passenger side kick panel. I have a radar detector tapped into my rear view mirror already.

12. Feb 17, 2016 at 6:24 AM
    Spruced UP

Spruced UP Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB PreRunner TRD Sport, Spruce Mica
    I have the G1W and its powered by the supplied cig lighter cord. I removed the trim around the windshield down the driver's side and also around the rear view mirror wiring. Once I got the cabling below the dashboard, I just pulled it across and around all the stuff under the dash, then found a small gap near the pocket to the right of the steering wheel assembly. Then I wedged the cable in a seam with just enough length to reach the 12v outlet. Someday, I'll find a better way and try to hardwire it to a fused circuit, because the plug in the 12v outlet is easily bumped and it turns off.

mello03[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Feb 17, 2016 at 8:15 AM
    venezian

venezian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2022 7545E
    Guys, I would stay away from battery units. Those things will fail you quickly. Think about how hot the windshield gets in the summer time and you have the cameras operating on battery. Also, many of these cameras are not suited for "parking mode" in the hot sun. You have to get a camera that's got heat resistance in mind. For starters, look for dash cams with capacitors instead of batteries. For "parking mode" recordings, buy a separate hard-wire kit that allows you to do "always on" when the car is off. The hard wire kit is also smart in that it will automatically turn the camera off if it detects battery voltage bellow 11.6 or 11.8 depending of the setting.

14. Feb 17, 2016 at 8:27 AM
    nortonian

nortonian Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Are there any dash cams with IR capability and able to plug into an iPad for realtime display?

15. Feb 17, 2016 at 3:50 PM
    venezian

venezian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2022 7545E
    Most dashcam brands will offer their own hard-wire kits. Some of them are "only on" kits which means there's no on/off switch. Personally, I like to have the control of on/off and the BlackVue hard-wire kit has worked flawlessly for me (their dashcam's suck).

http://www.amazon.com/Blackvue-Power-Magic-Pro-Prevention/dp/B008B8ERIO

A panel trim removal kit is also highly recommended. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HNMLQAG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

I've installed dashcam's on a Nissan Sentra, Altima, Silverado, A4, and a Cruz. I've done them all the same way.

Most cars will have a fuse panel of the drivers side. I start from the headliner and work my way to the A-Pillar. I use the trim panel to tuck the wire into the headliner. Once I get to the A-Pillar I continue to use the pry tool to tuck the cable in carefully where the pillar trim meets the headliner. Depending the vehicle fit you may have to pull on the trim to tuck the cable in. Once you wrap it around you will meet the rubber door sill. Again, using the prying tool, tuck the cable just behind the rubber sill. I stop once i reach the dashboard.

Then I move onto the hard-wire kit. I use a light tester to determine which fuse is always on and which fuse is accessory on. Then I use a fuse tap - http://www.amazon.com/HitCar-Vehicl...55752249&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=fuse+tap&psc=1
    So that it's a clean wiring job. Once the hard wire kit is connected, I plug the dashcam plug into the hard-wire kit and test functionality.

A lot of new cars especially your fancy pants luxo German cars are very annoying with this because when you turn the car off, the electronics are not actually off. They remain on for several minutes. In the case of my Audi my camera remains one for 1 - 3 minutes after i turn off my car (unless i have the hard-wire kit switch"ON"). Plus, some of the fuses are on the drivers side, some in the trunk. Mercedes GL and most BMW's are a pain in the ass. Nothing to sufficiently ground for the g-wire on either the driver or passenger side. There's a fuse panel under the rear passenger seat with nothing to ground on. Confusing diagrams... etc.. total in the ass.

Now that rant is over. Once you've tested it working with the car on and off you can finish cleaning up the wiring. Take all of the excess cable, bundle it, zip tie it and tuck it in securely near the fuse panel. Decide where you want to mount the hard wire kit. You have the option to tape or screw in. I always place it so that i can just reach and easy to manipulate the on/off switch. Once mounted, bundle loose cables, zip tie to secure. Now you have a clean dash cam setup that looks factory.

I hope this makes sense. I won't be doing any installs soon, but if anyone is in so cal (Whittier) and wants to wire their Tacoma I wouldn't mind wiring your dashcam and use it as an opportunity to do a how-to write up.

My Choice of dashcam is StreetGuardian SG9665GC. I prefer it because it's discreet, quality parts. Although it does not feature wifi or a swivel lens I prefer a quality cam i can depend on versus features from questionable quality brands.

16. Feb 17, 2016 at 5:24 PM
    mello03

mello03 Dr. Dirty

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    2020 F250 6.7
    Thanks for all the info!

17. Feb 20, 2016 at 4:24 AM
    BelizeMe

BelizeMe Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Plano
    Vehicle:
  18. Feb 20, 2016 at 4:39 AM
    MVBassYak

MVBassYak Well-Known Member

Member:
    NeverNeverland MA
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM TRDOR DCSB
    Already have a Hero 4 Silver so that's what I'll be using

19. Feb 20, 2016 at 5:29 AM
    MurphMan

MurphMan Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    * AFE Stage 2 XP CAI System * Westin Platinum Series Black Step Bars * TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau * Dee Zee Heavyweight Truck Bed Mat * WeatherTech Extreme-Duty Floor Liners * WeatherTech In-Channel Window Visors * Sony Xplod CDX-GT81UW Receiver * Sony Xplod 2-way speakers * Boss Audio BASS600 Amplified Subwoofer * Billet Grille Mod
    I've been hunting for one myself for a while now. I am convinced the mirror option would be the best option for stealth installs. This may end up in my summer ride.

What I'm surprised at is no one has mentioned a cellphone app to accomplish this. Granted, you lose the parking lot monitoring, but I stay away from up front spots and go remote. I played around with a couple apps a couple years back, not impressed. About to start playing around again with the idea, thinking the apps have matured.

Thoughts??

20. Feb 20, 2016 at 6:17 AM
    BelizeMe

BelizeMe Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Plano
    Vehicle:
    Cool let us know how you like / dislike the Hero 4 option... I will want a Hero Session, still intrigued about mirror option just want the best and not a cheap knock-off or ackward looking mirror. The dedicated dash-cams offer the best of the best features, but it's hard not to try a GoPro with the factory mount sitting right there. Hope Toyato got paid royalities for that one.

To Top