1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dash cams

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Scoobarooo, Mar 3, 2016.

1. May 4, 2016 at 5:09 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    ... ^^^ ... I used that camera set in the past and it is very good ... was on closeout at Sam's for $150.00.

Both front & rear cameras are very good and night vision is excellent.

Fast and easy setup too.

2. May 4, 2016 at 11:59 PM
    NightProwler

NightProwler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    So apparently my g1w cb didn't record today during the 100+ degree weather inside the truck. I think I read somewhere that if the unit was too hot, that it wouldn't record. Or maybe that was another unit. Idk but it only recorded like two, 2 second clips out of an hour or so trip. Someone borrowed my truck to go to town, so I looked forward to checking out the first daytime footage when they returned and that's what I discovered. Will see how it does tomorrow.

3. May 5, 2016 at 12:00 AM
    AKTACOTRUCK

AKTACOTRUCK Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Vehicle:
    Red 2008 Tacoma TRD Offroad Double Cab
    Bull bar, but more to come
    get sunshades for the windshield

4. May 5, 2016 at 1:55 AM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    That only helps slightly. Might lower the temps by a few degrees. But it's not even the start of summer and inside temps are already 100+. I have 5% tint almost all around. Including the sun visor strip. Will be redoing my door windows to 5% as they're at 35% right now... Still don't think it's gonna help if in fact the cam did not record due to the (not terribly bad) heat yesterday. Again will see if the same thing happens today. Will post back. Should be able to tell right away if it will turn on or not. Another thing to note, that I've read in another forum has happened, is that mine causes radio interference as well...
    About to review my night time footage too as I just got home from work a bit ago and see how it is now that I've messed with the exposure and wdr.

5. May 5, 2016 at 3:14 AM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Welp, settings seemed to help a little bit. But not much. Also reviewed the daytime footage. Seems ok. Nothing fantastic. Getting an occasional "wavy" image when stopped sometimes. Not sure what that's about. Maybe I got a clone. Idk. Not too impressed. Think I'll be returning it anyways. Will try it for a few more days before I do.

6. May 10, 2016 at 7:48 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Welllllllll... to hell with it. Been messing around with video editors (finally got one to work but was affecting quality) so decided to upload a couple clips and edit them through the youtube editor, but nooooooooooooooo. they won't fucking let me. Because they slapped a copyright claim on it because of the music I was playing while driving. So all you get is the second half of the clip.

I wanted to share this because I got a kick out of it. With the bass making it dance around. Ha. Didn't think it would affect the camera as much as it does, because I aint got THAT great of a system. But anyways, daytime footage is pretty good. Just the night time kinda sucks, even after messing around with the settings in every way. Oh well. Gonna rma this cheap cam. The whole thing is now loose where it mounts to the suction cup mount too. And I'm not gonna put tape all over it (even to help the annoying 'button chatter'). I'll see what else is out there.

I've got more vids, including night time and rain/hail footage at night. If anyone wants to see that is considering getting this cam.

For now, I'll rattle your brains a bit:
    Black Box G1W-CB

Daytime Part 1&2 (bass test)
    https://youtu.be/7PoRTWQWer0
    https://youtu.be/Ghfe-GDxPCk

Night Time driving
    https://youtu.be/lsXB1oxNqXw

Rain/Hail driving, plus led bars on towards end @3:50
    (From :50 - 3:50 is boring, cannot edit)
    https://youtu.be/U0WUF3Zxz0c

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  7. May 10, 2016 at 10:55 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    screw it. decided to upload the others just cus. Edited previous post.

8. May 12, 2016 at 9:35 PM
    15TRDSport

15TRDSport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    QC, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma Trd Sport
    Work in progress
    I ended up picking up a Thinkware X500D Front/Rear Full HD camera for my truck seeing is how out here in Arizona no one likes to carry insurance and hit and runs are a everyday thing. Caught this today on my way home from work. Great thing is the van is a registered Comtrans company vehicle. Might just send this video to their company seeing is how the website preaches "The amount and intensity of training that each ComTrans driver receives is one of the ways that ComTrans demonstrates its commitment to the safety and comfort of every passenger. This mandatory training ensures that each ComTrans driver has excellent customer service and professional skills."

SOSHeloPilot likes this.
  9. May 16, 2016 at 6:57 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Welp, just ordered an Ausdom A261 2k 1296p.

Been watching a ton of dash cam vids and reviews. Didn't look at all, but this one peeked my interest. Not the best form factor, but video quality seems top notch. Gearbest has it on sale for $86 vs Amazon for $122 I think it was. Was originally going to get a Taotronics TT-CD05. $75. Seemed to have ok video but a nice form factor. Along with a good warranty and customer service from What I read. But watched comparison vids that included the ausdom and it was way better than the tao. Then also watched vids on a few others such as the kdlinks, dbpower, falcon zero, itrue x3, sj models, mini models... So yeah I've done my homework. Heh.

There was another one called the Dome D201 which looked to have even better vid quality, best I've seen and claimed to possibly be 'the' best, but lacked in many other areas as far as software and customer support goes.

But either way, any of these are much better than the g1w that I had, which I just sold to a coworker. So I'll be reporting back once I get some clips recorded from the ausdom after I receive it.

Edit: Here's the link to gearbest
    http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_232448.html

Has some good info and vids as well as a great video review at the bottom of the page.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
    Pabloeeto likes this.
  10. May 17, 2016 at 9:51 AM
    ThunderOne

ThunderOne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    The Street Guardian has this via a big button in the middle with a hazard icon above it.

11. May 22, 2016 at 6:16 AM
    IronPeak

IronPeak PermaLurker

Member:
    First Name:
    AuggieX
    Back to Back
    Vehicle:
    2007 sr5 4x4 DCLB/2015 TRD sport 4x4 DCLB sold
    Bigger Taller Slower
    Hardwired in a cobra 840 I bought at coscto today, looks like a rebranded one from overseas ( as they all are) bought it on a whim because of the return policy, I figure once it takes a dump I'll return it.

(the batteries seem to be the weak link, thus the future capacitor model for me. I wonder if a better solution is to just buy new batteries for 6$ every few months, as a capacitor model might stop recording after an accident)

Next one wil be the G1W-GC , the wiring is already in place. I have a switch on the way to allow me to leave it on with or without the key in the ingition.

This week I am adding a rearview, going to tap into the power from the JBL amp behind the rear passenger seat.

toy_prem_plug20.jpg

http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7590

Whoops just noticed this is in 1st gen oh well a dashcam doesn't discriminate!

12. May 28, 2016 at 4:04 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Welp, got my Ausdom A261 in and tested it out night and day. But a bit of a problem with the dang mount. Its similar to the g1w that it slides in with that notch. But instead of being ridiculously tight like the g1w, it's super loose, and causing all sorts of vibration. Sigh. Can't win with these things. The quality is awesome though. Debating on whether or not to modify the bracket somehow. Maybe put a piece of electrical tape on the notch to help it be tighter but I don't think that's gonna work. Or maybe glue the Damn thing on. But then I can't return it, if all else fails. Or maybe there's other mounts you can purchase out there that are universal to dash cams? Seems like most have the same mounting notches that slide and lock into the suction part.. What to do what to do... I'll upload some clips when I get a chance.

13. May 28, 2016 at 7:52 PM
    ThunderOne

ThunderOne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    Just get a damn street guardian and be happy already :D

elnip and JL911 like this.
  14. May 29, 2016 at 5:36 AM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    ...^^^... Great camera ... had that system and it was super ... have helped several friends set them up too.

We mounted them upside down (works perfectly) on a dash pad mount to be able to easily move from camera.

Great picture quality and excellent at night too.

Sometimes ... they tend to restart for no reason though.

Trying to set one up now in a Go-Pro mount.

15. May 29, 2016 at 5:58 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    I have an 805 and just bought my wife a falcon one 170, happy with both so far. I like them both because you can easily remove them by just sliding them off the mounting bracket.

16. May 30, 2016 at 4:54 AM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Here's a little review of my
    AUSDOM A261 2K UHD 1296P
    Been playing around with it some more and I really like it. Got a 64gig card for it. Which is way too much. Not sure why there's a need for such a large amount of files to be kept. Unless you want to record continuously like on a road trip or something... But the store didn't have any 32gig cards in stock so thats why I got the 64. Plus I pretty much fixed the loose mount temporarily. Put a piece of paper folded over once and slid it between and seemed to do the trick. Ordered a 3m mount for $5 from ebay that I hope will work. And see if that one is a tighter fit. If not I may just glue it. But the unit itself is great and feels and looks like its certainly worth the moeny I paid for it, whereas the g1w felt like a cheap toy that would break at the slightest drop, or melt in the az sun. I sold it to a friend so we'll see how long both last in the elements here. I've seen pics of the g1w's being melted in the sun. But maybe they just had the bad draw with what seems to be a case of poor quality control (as is the case with many overseas products).

However, I was reviewing my g1wcb footage, and I gotta say, that thing was pretty darn good quality. Along with wayyyyy better audio quality. The Ausdoms audio really sucks. Gets distorted on bumps, and even the slightest bass from my sub. And there's a slight "clicking" during playback, which you can clearly hear at the end of the second clip when the truck is turned off and it continues to record (also only for a few seconds when its supposed to continue recording for a few minutes. Maybe it hasn't charged long enough?).

So idk, I want to like this one for the extra features and slightly better quality, as well as gps, but... I feel I woulda been just fine with the g1w. Comparing it to the ausdom, and other crazy high dollar ones that really don't seem to be worth the extra couple hundred dollars to me, that the g1w is a very good value for what you get.

Comparisons pics and vids

Kinda noticed the "distortion" effect from the G1W/ And was excited to see how the Ausdom performed regarding this as they claimed it had 'Wide angle distortion correction', which is seems to do a pretty good job. Not that big a deal, but was messing with my brain a lil when i was watching the g1w footage.

Couple snapshots of both (different weather but oh well)
    (G1W top, Ausdom bottom)
    g1w screen.jpg
    aus screen.jpg

First clip
    2304 x 1296 30fps 16:9
    https://youtu.be/8GfOM1a30Uk

Second clip
    2560 x 1080 30fps 21:9
    https://youtu.be/lQxqsz9nN2Q

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    SOSHeloPilot and Pabloeeto like this.
  17. Jul 3, 2016 at 8:54 AM
    Sugar Silva

Sugar Silva Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    16 Toyota Land Cruiser
    Kings Sliders TRD Rock Warrior Wheels Tint
  18. Jul 4, 2016 at 2:51 AM
    socarboy99

socarboy99 Pluggin' along by going from A to B to C to D...

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma Regular Cab 2WD
    TLC (Toyota Loving Care), Kenwood Head Unit with bluetooth
    It depends on what type of filming you're wanting to do. If you want to record your off roading adventures you can't go wrong with a GoPro. There are plenty of low cost "dash cams" out there. I would wanting a general use cam to "cover yourself" for documentation purposes, one of those will work fine (around $50). However, if you are into recording your trips for high quality YouTube videos, "a la Freewayjim" you'll want a cam that has a frame rate at least 60 FPS (frames per second) to get a high quality image at highway speeds.

19. Jul 4, 2016 at 2:55 AM
    socarboy99

socarboy99 Pluggin' along by going from A to B to C to D...

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma Regular Cab 2WD
    TLC (Toyota Loving Care), Kenwood Head Unit with bluetooth
  20. Jul 11, 2016 at 5:36 PM
    Pabloeeto

Pabloeeto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    K&N filter, 3.5 Aux input mod, Fox 2.0 Coilovers, Fox 2.0 Resi Shocks, Element UCAs, Old Man Emu Dakar Leaf pack.
    I've found with my G1W-C (not hardwired) if I turn OFF the ignition 1 click to ACCESSORY camera stays on, When I start my truck again from ACCESSORY the camera shuts off until you manually turn it back on or turn the key all the way to OFF then back on. Not really an issue but i'm sure if it was hardwired I wouldn't experience this.

Scoobarooo[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top