1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dash Rattle Folks

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 2TRunner, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Nov 4, 2010 at 7:55 PM
    2TRunner

2TRunner [OP] Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    Finally got into my glovebox this evening to take a look at a couple things that looked to be causeing some dash rattles.

I specifially had a rattle when acceleration, it would do nothing at a stop light, or in a parking lot.

I also did have a bit of a rattle when starting the vehicle up that was coming from the passenger dash area.

I'll get some pics up tomorrow when I'm off work, but for now I'll at least try to explain what I did and where.

-Remove the entire glovebox, comes off very easily.
    -Take 10mm skt and remove the 1 bolt that sits behind the glovebox latch on the dash.
    -This piece will then pop off, it's cliped in.
    -You'll see the cabin filter/blower motor assy.
    -#1, to the very right of the cabin filter is a wire harness that goes into this really flimy, off-white colored plastic. I just took a piece of electrical tape and put it on the plastic part, then just pulled the tape over and stuck it on the edge of the cabin filter assy. There is a little wire coming off the back of this connector it seems also, just make sure it's not getting the way, jiggle it around a little.

-#2 Now, look up underneath the dash, see all that air bag wiring up there? There will some kind of bar coded sticker right in this area.
    -Look a little closer and you'll see 5 little metal tabs, right above the tabs is a pice a felt material.
    -When I looked at mine, a corner of the felt material was not attaced to where it should have been so I just took a finger and ran it over the felt to make sure it was all even again.

So far, I have not been annoyed by any more rattling noises coming from the passenger side of my dash. I can get back to focusing on the other drivers who annoy the piss out of me.

I will be doing some driving tomorrow (Friday) and be listening and I'll also get some pics up to make what I've described a little clearer.

Hope this helps.

2. Nov 4, 2010 at 7:58 PM
    cluck024

cluck024 -cluck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Greenwood, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner TRD-OR DC Barcelona Red
    Blacked out badges, Anytime Fog Light Mod, Sockmonkey Decals and Third Brake Light Cover, Yellow fog lights, custom homelink install, Radflo 2.0 coilovers, LR UCA's, AAL, Moto Metal 957 matte black with Nitto Terra Grappler 285/70/17 shoes, more to come...
    good info, +rep

3. Nov 4, 2010 at 8:01 PM
    radioactivemint

radioactivemint Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2011 Reg. Cab 4x4
    Nice, thanks for the write-up. Pictures would be very helpful, especially on how to remove the glovebox.

4. Nov 4, 2010 at 8:04 PM
    2TRunner

2TRunner [OP] Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    No problem fella's. I'll get pics in the AM.

5. Dec 3, 2010 at 10:18 AM
    RichardG

RichardG Active Member

Member:
    GA, USA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRD Off Road
    Ive got a rattle in teh same area. Of course it comes and goes so its hard to get the stealership to do anything about it. I think it is from the airbag assembly as I can put my hand directly where the assembly is and it stops until I remove my hand. I put some cushioning in the glove compartment to tighten the closure when I shut it and that has helped alot, but it is still there , only not as loud. I would love to see pics of what you did.

6. Dec 3, 2010 at 11:01 AM
    kramer2k

kramer2k Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner TRD OR
    I've got a rattle on the drivers side that is annoying the ever living sh!t out of me! It seems to be in the dash above the instrument cluster. I try to jostle the dash while I'm driving to see if I can disrupt the rattle, but it's just there and won't quit.

Sorry, I'm just venting and had to get that out there. My stress level rises everytime I hear it. One day I'll pull things apart to try to get at the cause of the rattle.

7. Feb 11, 2011 at 5:31 PM
    2TRunner

2TRunner [OP] Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    Updating this...

I recently went a little deeper with the dash rattle issue a few days ago.

What I did was basically took a thin piece of rubber and cut it down into smaller squares, took the glovebox apart and got back in there.

This rattle comes from where the p/s air bag unit meets the plastic bracketing on the underside of the dash panel. There are 5 tabs that are supposed to extend out & over the plastic bracket. The tabs do not do this, they lay close to/against the plastic bracket, thus the rattle.

So, having my little rubber pieces, with my right hand I would push down on the dash from "normal view", which would push the plastic bracket down far enough to where I could then slide the little rubber squares between the plastic and metal tabs. So far this seems to be doing pretty well.

8. Feb 11, 2011 at 7:18 PM
    romafern

romafern Hug diz nuts

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    80918 Let's meet!
    Vehicle:
    Paid for and saving a shit ton of $$$$$
    Thinking of adding a second battery...
    tagged for R&D purposes only

9. Feb 11, 2011 at 7:55 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    try raising hood and pushing around on air box and plenum assembly as well as the plastic cover over the intake. mine was coming from the bottom of airbox rattling against passenger side valve cover. I tested fix by using a bungee cord to tension the plenum to engine bay wall and it went away.

Products Discussed in

To Top