1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Taco Garage - Dashtop Multi-Mount (DMM) - Securely mount ANYTHING to your dash

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by FreshMexicanTaco, Jun 10, 2018.

1. May 5, 2019 at 1:52 PM
    FreshMexicanTaco

FreshMexicanTaco [OP] The Taco Garage

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2019 spiced up Taco with guac, no onions.
    Dashtop Multi-Mount!, Pro grille, snug top, Kings BFGs, Front and rear view camera anytime, CMC, prinsu and more to come!
    The DSM should be pretty solid too. The DMM will obviously be more stable because it distributes the load across the entire top but the DSM should be ok for most phones and even some smaller tablets. What are you mounting to it?
    If you have a chance send a picture of the setup and also the underside we might be able to see something, maybe a defective plate or something else.

2. May 5, 2019 at 6:32 PM
    FreshMexicanTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Dashtop Multi-Mount!, Pro grille, snug top, Kings BFGs, Front and rear view camera anytime, CMC, prinsu and more to come!
    I’m already looking for bulk tools to include. That’s a good idea that I just haven’t gotten to but it has been on the list for a while.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    KY_Rob and Pyrotech[QUOTED] like this.
  3. May 5, 2019 at 7:48 PM
    FreshMexicanTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
  4. May 5, 2019 at 8:55 PM
    mOjO_Taco

mOjO_Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD 4X4 OR Cement
    None yet
    Anybody’s balls getting loose?
    I can rotate my RAM mount from left to right, I checked the hex nut but it’s the ball that can rotate. It rotates so easily that I can make a turn and the phone will swivel. Not sure if it’s due to the ram mount that may be losing its grip on the ball??

5. May 5, 2019 at 10:19 PM
    JT_526

JT_526 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County
    I need this!!

6. May 6, 2019 at 9:00 AM
    Al1065

Al1065 You did WAT?

Member:
    First Name:
    Just call me Dave because everyones name is Dave!
    Paso Robles, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Taco TRD OR
    Never enough
    What do you have holding the hand held in place there?

7. May 6, 2019 at 9:02 AM
    Al1065

Al1065 You did WAT?

Member:
    First Name:
    Just call me Dave because everyones name is Dave!
    Paso Robles, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Taco TRD OR
    Never enough
    Yeah, ... it seems like the older I get, ... the looser my balls are! :devil::D

8. May 6, 2019 at 11:00 PM
    ATXJoshL

ATXJoshL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Pro Black
    1-1/4” Spacers, Tires: Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac, hard bed cover, Fuelpax custom-mounted on bed rail.
    Do you have any play with all of this mounted on yours? Seems like it would put a lot of pressure on the trim and flex.

9. May 7, 2019 at 9:54 AM
    FreshMexicanTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    6B09CB5F-3576-4A42-BD82-673EB4BFCB8B.jpg 0DCB9FFA-9CF3-4827-BCA2-382C0490D7DB.jpg
    That’s not right, it should not be happening. Let’s figure out why, there’s a few obvious things which I’m sure you already checked so I’ll skip those...
    The arm loosing grip on the ball is not very likely chances are that the ball is loose so rotate the phone with your hand and try to see if the ball itself moves, if it does, there’s a couple things that could be wrong, the screw can be loose, the nut in the bottom plates might have loosened off the plate and there’s something else I know can happen... try removing the ball from the DMM. Depending on how long ago you bought the DMM you should have the ball, a screw, a bushing and a washer that should all be installed when putting that ball on the DMM, do you have all those pieces?

10. May 7, 2019 at 8:58 PM
    mOjO_Taco

Member:
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD 4X4 OR Cement
    None yet
    I do have the bushing and washer, I removed the dash and the nuts are solid and do not rotate. I re-tightened the nuts and the ball no longer rotates but it will rotate if I put some force on it. I’m guessing this would be normal?

11. May 7, 2019 at 10:03 PM
    Ennui

Ennui Well-Known Tacoma Bro

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport Cement
    - Audio: Alpine 5-Channel Amp Alpine iLX-F309 Halo 9 Stereo Unit Alpine Tytpe-R Speakrs (F/R) JL Stealthbox - Exterior: BackFlip MX4 Bed Cover Bed Extender (OEM) Bed Mat (OEM) Bed Step (OEM) Bed Lighting Kit (OEM) Emblem Blackout Overlay (OEM) Meso Gasshole Meso Ultimate Turn Signals V4 Predator Tube Steps (OEM) Redline Tacoma Hood Struts QuickLIFT PLUS Roof Rack (OEM) TRD Cold Air Intake (OEM) TRD Pro Exhaust (OEM) TRD Pro Grille (OEM) - Interior: Center Console Divider (JDMCAR) Center Console Tray (JDMCAR) Covercraft UVS100 Custom Sunscreen Glove Box Organizer (Vehicle OCD) Meso Tacoma Coin Tray Meso Ultimate Dome Light Meso Ultimate Map Lights Taco Garage DMM Mount TRD Pro Shift Knob (OEM)
    I have an iPhone XS Max and after watching a YouTube video I more than likely need to purchase a "static mount" instead of the swivel mount, is that correct? The video showed that larger phones don't fit in the swivel mount I believe..

The items are sitting in my cart waiting to be purchased but I can't figure out if I need the static mount advertised for "phones and small tablets" or if I need the one designed for a "large tablet?"

Any clarification would be appreciated!

r_to_the_k likes this.
  12. May 7, 2019 at 11:04 PM
    FreshMexicanTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    The static vs swivel actually don’t change the size that the holder can hold...
    They differ in that the swivel version allows you to rotate the device freely.
    Both will come with long and short size legs that you can change depending on the size of your device

ATXJoshL likes this.
  13. May 7, 2019 at 11:07 PM
    FreshMexicanTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    It’s kinda normal. It will rotate with enough force but having that screw tight should be enough to keep the device from spinning by itself. If it’s still doing that let me know and I’ll send out a new bottom plate.

mOjO_Taco[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. May 7, 2019 at 11:18 PM
    Ennui

Ennui Well-Known Tacoma Bro

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport Cement
    - Audio: Alpine 5-Channel Amp Alpine iLX-F309 Halo 9 Stereo Unit Alpine Tytpe-R Speakrs (F/R) JL Stealthbox - Exterior: BackFlip MX4 Bed Cover Bed Extender (OEM) Bed Mat (OEM) Bed Step (OEM) Bed Lighting Kit (OEM) Emblem Blackout Overlay (OEM) Meso Gasshole Meso Ultimate Turn Signals V4 Predator Tube Steps (OEM) Redline Tacoma Hood Struts QuickLIFT PLUS Roof Rack (OEM) TRD Cold Air Intake (OEM) TRD Pro Exhaust (OEM) TRD Pro Grille (OEM) - Interior: Center Console Divider (JDMCAR) Center Console Tray (JDMCAR) Covercraft UVS100 Custom Sunscreen Glove Box Organizer (Vehicle OCD) Meso Tacoma Coin Tray Meso Ultimate Dome Light Meso Ultimate Map Lights Taco Garage DMM Mount TRD Pro Shift Knob (OEM)

Thank you so much for clarifying. Just completed my purchase of the DMM / Swivel bundle. I can't wait to install the DMM and get rid of my WeatherTech CupPhone Holder :)

15. May 8, 2019 at 6:02 AM
    SigBoy

SigBoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off-Road, Access Cab
    It's not the best pic IMO, but you are welcome to use it. No IG.

16. May 8, 2019 at 6:11 AM
    SigBoy

SigBoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    It's a handheld vent mount that I drilled off the vent clips and attached a ball mount. The purchase no longer shows in my history so I don't have a link to share, but the bracket is made of metal with a rubberized backing that I am really happy with.

17. May 8, 2019 at 6:16 AM
    SigBoy

SigBoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Exactly what I wanted to point out. No play at all at the trim even with all of this weight on it. The only wiggle is at the longer arm on the far right side, which I believe is due to the arm length and it having multiple articulation points.

ATXJoshL[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. May 8, 2019 at 6:27 AM
    mOjO_Taco

Member:
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD 4X4 OR Cement
    None yet
    I really don’t think a new bottom plate would fix it. I don’t think I put a lot force on it for it to start doing that. I’m thinking though what if I was to put some blue loctite or maybe even a lock washer / nut on the bottom? This isn’t an issue and I am still highly satisfied with the product guess I am just thinking if this was normal or if anyone else was having the same thing happen to them.

19. May 8, 2019 at 9:13 PM
    ATXJoshL

ATXJoshL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Pro Black
    1-1/4” Spacers, Tires: Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac, hard bed cover, Fuelpax custom-mounted on bed rail.
    If the screw and nut are tight and your ball is still rotating, I would try taking the ball off and put super glue between the ball and head of the screw. You won’t need a lot. Try not to let any get on the threads or inside the Allen head potion of the screw head. Reinstall it, and give it a day to set. Then see if it’s still rotating.

Pyrotech likes this.
  20. May 9, 2019 at 12:47 AM
    FreshMexicanTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    You would have to verify this first but I think it’s more likely that the ball is spinning around the screw, not the screw itself rotating. If the screw is indeed coming undone then yeah a nut on the bottom might help, if it’s not the screw then @ATXJoshL ‘s idea might work.

ATXJoshL likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top