1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Davtopgun's "Mad Max" 95.5 4x4 build

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by Davtopgun, May 18, 2013.

1. May 18, 2013 at 8:10 PM
    Davtopgun

Davtopgun [OP] Weeeee mod time!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    TacoAlaMode Custom grill, SCS Gunmetal F5's, Treadwright guard dogs, King extended travel coilovers w/800# springs, OME Dakars. LRUCA's. Allpro off-road plate rear bumper with high clearance hitch, steel breaded extended brake lines front and rear, SOS concepts bolt on rock sliders with top plate, Pelfreybuilt front plate bumper, rci skid plates, Airflow Snorkel, Tom Woods custom one piece drivesahft, Weathertech in channel rain guards, Bushwacker fender flares, custom cab height bedrack, 60" Hi-Lift jack w/Mount, Recon 10,500lb waterproof winch with synthetic line, rear bumper light pods, front bumper light pods and light bar.
    What it's looking like as of right now.
    [​IMG]

Suspension (rear).

• OME Dakars
    • Toytec 2" lift Shackles
    • 10" Bilsteins
    • OME poly bushings
    • Marlin crawler steel braided brake line

Suspension (front)

• OME 882 Springs
    • OME NitroCharger shocks
    • Light Racing Upper Control Arms
    • MOOG Lower Ball joints
    • Marlin Crawler steel braided brake lines
    • Sway Bar Delete

Drivetrain

• 3.4L v6 w/179,000 miles
    • AFE Pro Dry S drop in air filter
    • Optima yellow top battery
    • Mobile1 Synthetic fluids
    • No AC compressor If you were as cool as me, you wouldn't need one either
    • ARB Safari Snorkle

Axles

• Complete rebuild
    • Replaced all bearings and seals
    • Heavy duty Yukon 4.56 R&P's
    • ARB Air Lockers
    • Viair Ultra Duty on board air
    • Mobil1 Synthetic fluids
    • WARN Heavy duty hubs

Wheels&Tires

• Pro Comp Black Steelies 15x8" 3.75 Backspacing
    • General Grabber Red Labels 35/12.50/15

Armor

• Stubbs Welding HD-SKO sliders w/kickout
    • Addicted Off-Road Winch Bumper
    • Custom tubed bed
    • 6"x6" square steel bumper

Recovery

• Recon 10,500LB waterproof winch
    • Synthetic Winch line
    • 60" Hi-Lift Extreme
    • WARN Tree strap
    • WARN Snatch Block
    • 30' WARN Snatch Strap

Lighting

• High density LED Tail lights
    • 20" LED Lightbar fog/flood

Interior

• OTTRW Switches
    • Cobra CB in ashtray hole
    • Second Gen Rubber Floor Mats :anonymous:
    • AutoZone shift Knob with a compass in it (awesomness)
    • RPM, Oil Pressure, Temp, Air Compressor, air/fuel ratio, and battery level gauges
    • Cracked windshield
    • Bare metal floor (no carpet)
    • Mud and dirt

Exterior

• Dents
    • Scratches
    • Gouges
    • Crushed Body Panels
    • Rustolium bedliner paint job
    • Mud and dirt
    • Very expensive stickers (the parts were free)

The day I bought the truck. It was pretty trashed, but it was cheap and ran great.

The pic is crappy, but the only one I have. This is the pic the seller sent to me.
    [​IMG]

It had Pro-Comp coil overs in the front (cranked up to the max), and a 2" AAL and 3" block on it already. It also had 4:56 gears installed, and what I was told to be a front "locker". And of course a "truggy" type bed.

This is what I found under the hood. :laugh:
    [​IMG]

I drove the truck home knowing that it was making grinding noises, had many leaks, the steering was shot and the brakes only worked about half the time. Damn this truck was noisy.

The first thing I did was take it to Bill (BamaToy1997), who started pulling it apart.

The hubs were shot, and only engaged now and then. I ordered a set of WARN hubs to replace them.
    [​IMG]

The rear end was leaking pretty bad. We ended up replacing all of the bearing, seals, brake pads, and brake components. Don't have any pics of this because I wasn't there while Bill was rebuilding it.

The tires were bald, so that was my next order. Got a set of General Grabber red labels for pretty cheap. 35/12.50/15
    [​IMG]

Mounted.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Playing with one of Bill's lifts when he's not looking.
    [​IMG]

After all the rebuilding. I came and grabbed the truck, hoping I wouldn't find any more problems. I was headed to a meet we had set up. On my way, one of the old and abused front brake calipers decided to explode and destroyed the inside of the front passenger wheel, cracking it bad enough that the wheel was no longer usable.

After much searching to find one of those wheels, I gave up and ordered a set of Pro-Comp steelies.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At this point I started wheeling it. My first wheeling trip, I snapped a CV. I went ahead and ordered two brand new CV's, and kept the one good one on the truck as a spare. These are the CV's that I ordered from Autopartswherehouse. Both of them came in bent up. Luckely I was able to straighten them out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next was a money spending spree.

Dakars, and Recon 10,500lb waterproof winch w/synthetic line arrived.
    [​IMG]

Stubbs Welding sliders w/kickout.
    [​IMG]

Hi-Lift Handle all.
    [​IMG]

60" Hi-Lift Extreme.
    [​IMG]

ARB safari Snorkel.
    [​IMG]

GoPro Hero3 Black Edition. (from another member)
    [​IMG]

Dakars installed.
    [​IMG]

20" lightbar. (from another member)
    [​IMG]

2" lift shackles from ToyTec.
    [​IMG]

ARB Snorkel installed.
    [​IMG]

10" billies to replace the old rear shocks.
    [​IMG]

Many items sat around a while, while I waited for Addicted to get the bumper to me.

In the process I purchased front and rear ARB air lockers and a Viair Ultra duty OBA.
    [​IMG]

Sorry, don't have any pics of the install that I can find. Except this one.
    [​IMG]

OBA. With my home made tire carrier.
    [​IMG]

Found a ditch to try out the ARB's. Drove through this in 2WD.
    [​IMG]

Replaced the Pro-Comp coilovers with OME 882's, nitrocharger shocks and LR UCA's.
    [​IMG]

Got my Addicted bumper installed.
    [​IMG]

Winch installed.
    [​IMG]

Light bar installed.
    [​IMG]

Installed a Optima Yellow Top to run everything.
    [​IMG]

Also painted all the orange with black bedliner.

Some random pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm sure I'm forgetting a Lot. I'll edit as I remember shit. I'm also sure it's in the wrong order, but oh well, you get the idea.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  2. May 18, 2013 at 8:10 PM
    Davtopgun

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    TacoAlaMode Custom grill, SCS Gunmetal F5's, Treadwright guard dogs, King extended travel coilovers w/800# springs, OME Dakars. LRUCA's. Allpro off-road plate rear bumper with high clearance hitch, steel breaded extended brake lines front and rear, SOS concepts bolt on rock sliders with top plate, Pelfreybuilt front plate bumper, rci skid plates, Airflow Snorkel, Tom Woods custom one piece drivesahft, Weathertech in channel rain guards, Bushwacker fender flares, custom cab height bedrack, 60" Hi-Lift jack w/Mount, Recon 10,500lb waterproof winch with synthetic line, rear bumper light pods, front bumper light pods and light bar.
  3. May 18, 2013 at 9:25 PM
    Davtopgun

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    There are some videos and more pics. I'll have to find the rest tomorrow. Also, a few other things I've done that I didn't add that I just remembered.

Oh well, I'll do it tomorrow.

Feel free to throw tips my way, good or bad. On the build, or the thread. Thanks

4. May 18, 2013 at 9:38 PM
    Dcpsychobilly

Dcpsychobilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aurora Colorado
    Vehicle:
    04 dbl cab Taco
    Bumpers, skids, lights and more lights, trail gear bumper, sliders, front kings, dakar lift leaf springs rear, corbeau seats
    Nice rig man, any pics on the exploded caliper? :D

5. May 18, 2013 at 10:20 PM
    YotaOverAll

YotaOverAll Backyard Performance

Member:
    First Name:
    Jessie
    Panama City, FL
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner SR5
    3" Toytec spacers, Bilstein 5100s in the back with add a leaf and overloads removed.
    Shame that the caliper exploded and destroyed a rim. I love solid dish, I'm running them on my other truck.

6. May 19, 2013 at 5:58 AM
    Davtopgun

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    Thanks, but no. I was pretty pissed off and didn't think to take any pictures.

I agree, they were awesome wheels. The only thing I didn't like about them is they were 10" wide. I ended up selling the rest of the good ones to a buddy of mine who had the same wheels on one of his trucks.

7. May 19, 2013 at 12:43 PM
    Lumpskie

Lumpskie Independent Thinker

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '96, 4x4, v6, manual hub
    Toytec 16" coilovers with Tundra Bilstein 5100s, Light Racing UCAs, Alcan Leafs with Orbit Eyes, 12" Bilstein 7100 short Bodies, ARB rear locker, 33x12.5 Duratracs, CBI sliders, Bushwacker fender flares, self made front bumper, M8000, Vision X 6.7" Hi/Lo Beam HIDs, full skids, Inchworm dual case setup - 15º clocking
    I'm glad you posted this build... now I can steal ideas! How do you like the handle all kit?

8. May 19, 2013 at 12:46 PM
    PcBuilder14

PcBuilder14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
  9. May 19, 2013 at 3:00 PM
    Davtopgun

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    I've used the shovel a couple times, and the sledge once. They seem to hold up well. I love the kit because it all fits in a little bag. Plus, the handle from my Hi-Lift also fits all the tools. I'm happy with it so far.

:D

10. May 19, 2013 at 3:17 PM
    Lumpskie

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '96, 4x4, v6, manual hub
    Toytec 16" coilovers with Tundra Bilstein 5100s, Light Racing UCAs, Alcan Leafs with Orbit Eyes, 12" Bilstein 7100 short Bodies, ARB rear locker, 33x12.5 Duratracs, CBI sliders, Bushwacker fender flares, self made front bumper, M8000, Vision X 6.7" Hi/Lo Beam HIDs, full skids, Inchworm dual case setup - 15º clocking
    Nice! I'd like something like that. ...maybe for Christmas:)

Post up your experience with the axe when you use it. I'm really curious about that.

11. May 19, 2013 at 5:13 PM
    Davtopgun

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    Will do man!

On a side note, a couple members and I went and did some wheeling today. There was a LOT of mud. I snapped another CV axle shortly after climbing a very steep and muddy rock trail. The IFS just Isn't strong enough for 35's and lockers.

I have a ton of video to edit. I will post the video's when I get done with them.

12. May 19, 2013 at 5:30 PM
    YotaOverAll

Member:
    First Name:
    Jessie
    Panama City, FL
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner SR5
    3" Toytec spacers, Bilstein 5100s in the back with add a leaf and overloads removed.
    Time for SAS!

13. May 19, 2013 at 5:41 PM
    Davtopgun

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road

You said it man! If I can't SAS somewhere in the near future, I'll be buying something with a solid axle. This is the first IFS 4x4 that I've owned, and I'm already tired of replacing CV axles, and getting front end alignments.

14. May 19, 2013 at 6:34 PM
    YotaOverAll

Member:
    First Name:
    Jessie
    Panama City, FL
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner SR5
    That's why I'm glad my 4x4 is too old for CVs!

15. May 19, 2013 at 8:09 PM
    Lumpskie

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '96, 4x4, v6, manual hub
    Yeah replacing CVs is no good...Ever consider a stronger than stock axle to hold you over?

16. May 20, 2013 at 3:35 AM
    Davtopgun

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road

I've considered the ones from ToyTec for $500 each, but they have no lifetime guarantee with them, and I'm not going to pay that much for a CV axle that will eventually break, too.

I remember running across a set of high angle custom CV's that a company makes. I believe they had a good warranty, but also ran 2k per set. I could do something like this, but would rather put money like that toward a SAS.

Do you know of CV's that I'm unaware of?

17. May 20, 2013 at 7:59 AM
    Lumpskie

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '96, 4x4, v6, manual hub
    Nope I only know of the Lotus Development ones (sold by Toytec) and the RCV ones ($2000 a set). Looks like you are going to make me jealous as you save for your SAS... I'm going to have to stop reading this thread, once that business starts:lalala:

18. May 20, 2013 at 8:57 AM
    Davtopgun

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
  19. May 20, 2013 at 9:06 AM
    TacoFMS

TacoFMS Bubble bubble bubble pop

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Just a vehicle to take trash to the dump
    One or two things modded... Check out the build thread
    Very nice Dave!! can't wait to see the progress on this, since it seems to take forever for our group to get together to have meets!!

20. May 20, 2013 at 9:53 AM
    Davtopgun

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    Thanks! Lately, I have just been posting a day or so before I plan to go out. Our meets lately seem to be more of a spur of the moment thing.

Products Discussed in

To Top