1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Day-Time Running Lights (DRL) Question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rwilsond, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Apr 26, 2012 at 4:00 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    My thought with coming up from the rear is when I'm driving along and have to suddenly hit the breaks when a car appears in the fog, snow, or rain. I would have seen them from further away had their lights been on.

And while I *can* see dark colored cars on dark colored roads on overcast days (and I *can* see white cars on snowy days), recognition of cars with lights on is *much* faster. Everyone zones out now and then while driving. Either being tired, lighting a cigarette, changing a radio station, yelling the the kids, whatever. Sometimes a quick glance doesn't see the car ahead very well, but lights would make it stand out more.

Mainly if people are too stupid to manually use lights when appropriate and the manufacturers feel the need to do DRL for the front, why not use the same logic and do the rear? :notsure:

2. Apr 26, 2012 at 4:41 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    i wish my truck had them. i just turn my head lights on. i had a few cops tell me that, a car/truck with DRL or head lights on during the day can be seen 2,000 feet farther than a car/truck with out any kinda lights on.

3. Apr 26, 2012 at 7:00 AM
    iroc409

iroc409 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    A red one
    Can't disagree with inattention, a lot of people are oblivious these days. I can't wait for the computer windshields they are proposing now. I'm going to have to buy a fleet of Deuce-and-a-halfs to get milk from the store.

One of the problems with regular tail lights (running lights) is they aren't bright enough for poor conditions. I don't have to deal with a lot of fog in my current area, but we have a major issue with water spray. It can make a car in front of you completely disappear in daylight. I've also taken a lot of winter road trips and been caught in snow storms. Those are a big reason I want a good rear fog light on my truck, because that would help a lot in both of those situations (and fog, of course).

4. Apr 26, 2012 at 7:01 AM
    iroc409

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    A red one
    I added them to my 2009, it was about $50 I think. You only need two parts, but it is a little bit of a pain to install (the plugs are obnoxious).

5. Apr 26, 2012 at 7:40 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    yeah i thought about adding it. but i just turn my head and fog lights on. i just leave them on, they turn off as soon as you turn truck off and open the door. and with them on my tail lights are on.

i get pissed when it rains/storms(like it is going to more today here) people don’t turn their head lights ON even tho it is a law that "any time you’r wipers are on(other than cleaning windshield) you MUST have you’r head lights on” thats thats how it is worded in the drivers hand book!

6. Apr 26, 2012 at 8:14 AM
    iroc409

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    A red one
    Headlight laws vary a lot by state, but I'd agree with that idea in general.

The nice thing about DRLs is that it saves expensive headlight bulbs. I run Osram Rallyes, which are $20 a bulb + shipping, and have a _relatively_ short run time. It also saves gas, as they use less power (though possibly negligible).

For cars out there that are not so easy to add DRLs, you can get a premade module that will modify your turn signals. I'd like to do that on our car, as we always use our headlights (no DRLs). The car is more sensitive to engine load changes, and I think it would save a noticable amount of gas.

7. Apr 26, 2012 at 8:27 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    yeah i know. i was saying what it is in TN.

and yeah i can see that. i think i just have factory bulbs in head and fog.

i may look at adding them this coming winter. i think i’m going to try and get HID retro fit and BHLM.

8. Apr 26, 2012 at 3:45 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    The law in NY is the same, but shit even cops around here don't bother with their lights when their wipers are on. :rolleyes: Can't expect them to enforce a law they don't follow.

The obliviousness of other drivers is also why I want train horns, but that's another discussion.

Products Discussed in

To Top