1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DDM Hid Kit Installed, Need Help with light pattern

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Farmdizzy, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Oct 18, 2011 at 11:42 PM
    Farmdizzy

Farmdizzy [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD
    Levelled, 285/75/17
    Hey, I just installed a Hi/Lo 4500k 35w kit in my headlights, as well as a 35w 4500k kit in my fogs. Install went fine and everything is working, but the problem I am having it that my lowbeams seem to be a little bluer than the 4500k should be. The fogs look white, but with the lowbeams on, white signs and reflectors are looking fairly blue. Is that normal? The pattern also seems fairly blotchy and dim, considering that the hid lighting should be noticibly brighter than the halogens I just replaced, but its almost the other way around. Seems almost as though my fogs are whiter and even brighter than my lowbeams. Has anyone else run into this problem with ddm kits? The highbeams are much better, but still seem look more like a 8000k bulb when they are on the ground. In the headlight housing, they do look white though. Would a person easily be able to tell if they were sent the wrong bulb? What should I do? Please shoot me some advice as it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

2. Oct 18, 2011 at 11:54 PM
    Rakso

Rakso CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    California
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Icon Ext Travel Coils, Built right UCAs, nFab light bar, Fox 2.0 piggy backs, Demello Sliders, Weather Tech Liners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, AFE CAI, Magnaflow Mufler, 6000k HIDs Headlights, 3000K HIDs Fog Lights, Fogs Anytime Mod. Cluster LED Swap, HU LED Swap.
    Pics?
    What size bulbs did you get?

3. Oct 19, 2011 at 12:27 AM
    kessler89

kessler89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    OH
    Vehicle:
    12' Pro4x 6MT
    TBA
    i have the same setup on my truck (minus the fogs) and they're super bright, as for beam pattern well you cant ask for too much out of HID's in a non projector housing and like the above poster said, let em "burn in" for a week or 2, all though i noticed a 180deg improvment in mine from day one

4. Oct 19, 2011 at 12:32 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Marcos, Alta California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 2 Hella 4000 HID, 1 Cibie Halogen. Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Chinese made products are not very standardized (I learned)... I went through 4 pairs of bulbs to get the white color (hint of blue) from a source that said he buys from DDM.

5. Oct 19, 2011 at 4:27 PM
    Farmdizzy

Farmdizzy [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD
    Levelled, 285/75/17
    The I installed the hid headlights and the foglights at the same time. Unlike "kessler89" I definitely did not notice any improvement in brightness from the halogens from day one. I installed last night and went for a drive, pitch black out, and the lights were less than impressive. The light color on the ground almost looked kinda green although looking at the headlight from the side it looks white. Right now if I was driving down the highway and only had the option of lowbeams or foglights, I would choose the fogs! Should I consider sending the bulbs back to ddm? My order was sent direct from China because I also ordered a 55w kit for my hellas. I was told since ddm didnt have them in their warehouse that the whole shipment would just come from overseas. Its just a low blow for me right now because I have been waiting for 3 weeks to get these kits in and now I have something worse than before.

I read on one thread that a guy had a similar problem and one of the replies was that the shield may be blocking a little more light than it should with the lowbeams. Is this something I should consider maybe altering a bit? I guess that would probably void my warranty though....?

6. Oct 19, 2011 at 6:14 PM
    sytfu510

sytfu510 INSTAGRAM: sytfu510

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    06 DBL Cab Long Bed TRD Sport
    Dirt Designs LT kit DMZ LT Kit TRD Supercharger SCS Wheels BAMF
    I got mine from ddm as well, the pattern is a bit off, not sure if it's from the HID kit or the aftermarket headlights. I got the 6k h4 low beam only and 3k for my fog lights.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Oct 19, 2011 at 6:23 PM
    Farmdizzy

Farmdizzy [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD
    Levelled, 285/75/17
    Are most people out there realigning their headlights after the hid install?

8. Oct 19, 2011 at 6:35 PM
    cummins6speed

cummins6speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Limited Edition
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    That's the price you pay for going with DDM. Hopefully you can get ahold of them to fix it

9. Oct 19, 2011 at 6:40 PM
    drade

drade BRUINS 4 LIFE

Member:
    ME
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road Short Cab Silver
    TRD PRO skid plate, wet kole seat covers, tint all around, red line tuning quick Lift system, paint protection film, gloss blacked out OEM emblems, electric start, heated seats.
    I've had no bad luck with DDM. Sorry to hear that happened to ya

10. Oct 19, 2011 at 7:06 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN GEORGIA

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    your sticking a plug and play hid kit in a reflector headlight housing what did you expect to happen?

the beam will have hotspots and look scattered that what your looking at by going to hid this way. it's also more than likely to blind people since when installing a bulb that is effectively 2 times brighter than your halogen bulb was in the same housing your effectively losing the ability to aim your lights correctly.

you should look into a retrofit of at least a set of ebay lights if you want an actual improvement over the stock light out put. some people run these kits and like them i hate them think they look terrible and they do glare like crazy. a projector collects that light thats being scattered all over the place by your reflector and focuses it into a controlled beam.

i have run the gambit with every lighting option for our trucks and a retrofit is the way to go.

i hate to plug it but if you want real lights i have a complete set for sale that are like 3 months old and perfect professionally done includes everything you need for 500 bucks. with my set-up you will have nicer lights than a bentley or ferrari :) figured i would save you the flashing by other drivers and possible tickets and provide waaay better lighting.

and my asking price is like a 1/3 of what you would spend on a set if you had them professionally done yourself so its a great price just saying lol.

11. Oct 19, 2011 at 7:29 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN GEORGIA

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    i agree as well i have seen the cut off on the spider lights an eagle eyes personally they look horrible but, if the op has to have hids then at least it will focus the beam so he is not blinding eveybody.

your right they suck i think the point i was trying to make is you should stick with a halogen bulb until your ready for a proper retrofit.

it's all subjective to opinion. some people like their ddm kits and slim cubby kits in there factory headlights but, those lights are not the proper way to upgrade to hid they are cheaper plug and play kits that have no business being in any halogen reflector. the design of the bulb was never intended for our headlights cheap rebased bulbs of lower quality means inaccurate color temps and in a lot of cases reduced bulb life.

the salt that is in hid bulbs needs to be perfectly measured and the level of quality control seems to be seriously lacking in every one of these types of kits i have seen this is of course my opinion but, i know i'm right lol.

12. Dec 6, 2011 at 8:35 PM
    Cajun1

Cajun1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brooks
    Abbeville, LA
    Brush Gaurd 265 Destinations 5100's @ 1.75 LED Lighting Center console Home made Saatchi DDM 5K HID
    bulb....ha what a weird word

13. Dec 7, 2011 at 5:18 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    So... the drugs are good where you live? :rolleyes:

14. Dec 7, 2011 at 12:12 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Az
    Ebay Projectors are crap, for any car/truck. Not worth the money to get them.

Retro fit are nice, but if you can't build them then you have to buy them off someone that can and I thought I saw a guy on here that sells them for 750$ a set. That's a lot of loot for head lights.

15. Dec 7, 2011 at 12:21 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Ebay projectors are crap to begin with. That's before taking into consideration that theyre halogen projectors, not HID projectors, which there's a difference.

To Top