1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DDM HID's on 2013 Taco

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Annolino122, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Dec 14, 2012 at 3:40 PM
    santabarbarataco

santabarbarataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jordan
    santa barbara
    ^^ agreed

2. Dec 14, 2012 at 4:29 PM
    pitacoma

pitacoma Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:
    13 Super White Blacked out
    None yet
    Hahahahahaha

3. Dec 15, 2012 at 1:11 AM
    Annolino122

Annolino122 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Evansville
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD off road
    When i meet a cop, that acts like a cop, not some bitter pessimist and protects the rights of people and is in the line of duty for the good of the people, instead of "writing 10 HID tickets" and finding nothing better to do than ticket people for useless tickets and ruin someones life, i will happily do "the right thing", but that will never happen, as we have seen in this thread.

4. Dec 15, 2012 at 1:13 AM
    Annolino122

Member:
    Evansville
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD off road
    But thank you guys for the compliments on the lights. Love them to death. Haven't had anyone flash me cause i directed them right, and am loving the light output. It helps seeing i have eye issues and need the assistance. The 55W would be my suggestion if anyone is on the edge.

5. Dec 15, 2012 at 12:48 PM
    fallon

fallon Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    By ruin somebody's life, do you mean getting a ticket? I'd apply that statement more to somebody getting in a wreck because they were blinded by crappy HID lights glaring all over.

Your rights end where others begin. Unfortunately the cops get to look like the bad guy taking care of people with no respect for others. Who cares if the cop is being an ass? He's enforcing the laws and rules society have agreed upon. If you have a problem, don't break the law or get the law changed. I suspect society as a whole prefers laws preventing them from getting blinded while driving to your rights to look like a douche.

"Let the guy do what he wants"? So you would be fine with me mounting a search light pointing right at oncoming drivers? Or better yet I want a new truck, so I'll just take yours... In society, your rights end where others begin.

6. Dec 15, 2012 at 1:06 PM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    6000k fogs? Kinda defeats the purpose of a "fog" light...

Hid's in stock housings look like shit and are unsafe. I had them on my truck for quit a while, but the crappy light output and scatter was embarrassing. I ended up putting the stock lights back in and ordered retros from Ambiguous.

Retros are the only way to go if you want hid's.

7. Dec 15, 2012 at 4:15 PM
    tc98tacoma

tc98tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nik
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    98tacoma4x4
    3inch toytec coils 5100's, aal(soon to be replaced), 33/12.5 km2s, + a money hole...
    I guess no baby can read that hes adjusted the lights to where there not glaring or blinding people....retros are the way to go but not every body can afford $350 bucks for some projectors

8. Dec 15, 2012 at 4:19 PM
    Tacomanator

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    Aiming the lights down does not get rid of glare and scatter...

9. Dec 15, 2012 at 4:29 PM
    tc98tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Nik
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    98tacoma4x4
    3inch toytec coils 5100's, aal(soon to be replaced), 33/12.5 km2s, + a money hole...
    I dint have a problem with mine, yeah theres a little scatter but its really faded, nothing terrible and could blind people, wasnt trying to say that you were with what you were saying man, i had to aim mine down alot and had to sacrifice distance from that but thats what the rigids are for!

10. Dec 15, 2012 at 5:12 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Babies can't read unless they are super babies. If you can't afford to do it right don't do it. You might think it doesn't blind others but if an accident ever occurs at night be prepared to endure the consequences.

11. Dec 15, 2012 at 5:38 PM
    GuyWithCamera

GuyWithCamera Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Tracy,CA
    Vehicle:
    Nissan 370Z
    No surprise here, I actually spent an entire night driving around and adjusting the headlights every few blocks on my X-Runner. Went home and used my other car (2007 Impala) to see how messy the light output is when sitting in the car infront of the X-Runner as it would be if I were at a stop light. Parked the truck with the lights on and creeped around it in the direction it would be if I were oncoming traffic... Just to clean up and see how bad the glare is because I can see spots of concentrated light on the ground.

It was a complete pain in the ass, And there is definitely some glare going off on the sides but it's no where near blinding... I've been driving with them all week and haven't been flashed yet after getting them aimed down and towards the middle... Because of this, The light output is not as good as they were when I had my halogens in them and they won't ever be comparable to a projector retrofit which btw, is also illegal to do... Headlights and Tail lights are DOT approved items and any sort of modification to them is illegal (including BHLM and even eye lids)...

Hopefully who'm ever that police officer is that posted earlier doesn't ticket any TW members because if his statement was ever brought up in court I am sure some disciplinary action will be taken since you cannot go to work with a personal vendetta. It's a tough un appreciated job where you have to shake off everything before you go to each call or pull over each car... A LEO that will admittedly target a general group on a public forum is not a very good LEO. Before my credibility is brought into play, I have worked for a local police department for 2 years and have many LEO/Sgts/LT's as personal friends and several in family (My grandfather was even a sheriff).

Anywho, I personally went with 5000K (pure white) 35W... So it doesn't look to HID'y.

But this is TW, Any form of cutting corners is rightfully so frowned upon. In this matter, There will still be many many many people with simple and incorrectly aimed (if there is a way to correctly aim them) HID's... The output is not clean, The right way to do it is a projector retrofit which will cost $300+... But until I have that $300 to spare, My HID's won't be coming off any time soon as I'm sure the people who have them on right now won't be taking them off because some people they have never met on a internet forum doesn't like them and even chastised them for having them.

12. Dec 15, 2012 at 6:02 PM
    Annolino122

Member:
    Evansville
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD off road
    look at the original picture... you find that scattered? nope. anyone flash me since I've had them? nope. Am i doing anyone wrong? nope.

soo all your assumptions and "lawfulness" is unjustified, so thank you for your concern for my HID's, but seriously grow up. I didn't create this thread to get ridiculed by some cop, and people who have thousands to dump into a car, I used the money i had to do what i wanted, I'm not hurting anyone, I'm not breaking any laws, and I'm more than happy with my choice.

so go spread your bullshit somewhere else. thanks

13. Dec 15, 2012 at 6:21 PM
    Tacomanator

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    I did look at the pic and all see is shitty light output. So, what's your point other than proving me right?

14. Dec 15, 2012 at 8:56 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    As soon as you put a HID system in a halogen housing you broke the law. Plain and simple. You can say many others do it but it doesn't make it right. Yes, projector retrofits are illegal but at least the light output is correct.

15. Dec 15, 2012 at 11:03 PM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    No scattered light? Hahaha

16. Dec 16, 2012 at 3:05 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yes - It is scattered. Great that no one has flashed you...doesn't mean it's not one of the more annoying things they have to deal with...Not to mention folks you drive behind who can't flash you. And yes - You most certainly are breaking a law.
    Might not be hurting anyone right now, but that doesn't mean you did the right thing. Not to mention the amount of downward aiming it takes to get those lights low enough to not be completely obnoxious means you can outdrive your headlights at highway speeds.
    So if you want to talk about bullshit....realize that you are spreading some too.

17. Dec 16, 2012 at 8:57 AM
    fejus

fejus Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Flower Mound TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 Pementaco. TRD Sport

Ok I am new here, but OP what did you expect, no backlash at all?

There is a sticky in this forum explaining EXACTLY what you did as something that is illegal and, quite frankly, dangerous for everybody else but you...

Sorry, but you reap what you sow...

18. Dec 16, 2012 at 11:52 AM
    tc98tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Nik
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    98tacoma4x4
    So my 03 TL-S that came with factory HIDs in the halogen housing is illegal? Dont think so sir, I highly doubt they would do that if it was such a big issue & Illegal

19. Dec 16, 2012 at 12:00 PM
    Who Dat Popcorn

Who Dat Popcorn Dafuq

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    Sold :/
    SOLD
    Looks good, OP.

20. Dec 16, 2012 at 12:06 PM
    Tacomanator

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    Its not illegal if it comes like that from the factory...

Products Discussed in

To Top