1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

deadhed61's Build Up

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by deadhed61, Feb 18, 2013.

1. May 4, 2016 at 9:03 AM
    SixthSnail

SixthSnail I have no idea what I'm doing

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    '14 Tacoma Sport
    See Build in Sig
    Dammit I'm scared to have rotopax again...

2. May 4, 2016 at 9:09 AM
    fishfinder

fishfinder Whoever dies with the most toys wins

Member:
    First Name:
    Mikey
    Santa Barbara
    Vehicle:
    2015 MT DCLB
    CBI armor, Kings, 35s, Lockers
    You can try mine if you want, one is a regular 5 gallon gas jug that is real tight, but the scepter MWC fits with a bit of space

3. May 4, 2016 at 9:20 AM
    SixthSnail

SixthSnail I have no idea what I'm doing

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    '14 Tacoma Sport
    See Build in Sig
    CBI

4. May 4, 2016 at 6:46 PM
    at_olw

at_olw Banned in D.C.

Member:
    You're not the first. Doubt you'll be the last. It only seems to happen with trucks that regularly see dirt, which is why it's a rare occurrence on here:crapstorm:

It all depends on the mount. It's the width that's usually the problem... My scepter's have a beer belly to 'em. Fun fact: the gas and water containers have slightly different dimensions.
    Now we're talking! Although who bothers with a sawzall when you have a plasma? :luvya:

ecgreen likes this.
  5. May 4, 2016 at 7:17 PM
    deadhed61

deadhed61 [OP] :notsure:

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Vehicle:
    The Black Pearl
    A little lift and a little armor

Ahahaha! I don't see dirt as much as a lot people on here, so I just figured it'd be more pronounced! :notsure: oh well.... When something breaks, that just means I get to install something stronger! :D should have listened to you :anonymous:

Soooooo.....when can I play with your welder and plasma cutter :spy:

6. May 4, 2016 at 9:26 PM
    deadhed61

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Vehicle:
    The Black Pearl
    First time ever hitting the Camuesa Connector in SB. Super fun trail, already want to go again! Still not sure what the hell made me flop!! :rofl:

https://youtu.be/W_4qXAby3hk

Camuesa Connector.jpg

TXpro4X4, 4WDTrout and malburg114 like this.
  7. May 5, 2016 at 12:47 AM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Looks like a bit of gravel right where you went down taking that turn?

8. May 5, 2016 at 6:30 AM
    deadhed61

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Vehicle:
    The Black Pearl
    Yeah, I think my front tire just washed out on the inside hill. It was such a slow fall all I could do while going down was :laugh:

9. May 5, 2016 at 1:37 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Those are the worst! Life goes in to slow mo and you're like 'really? This is happening?'

deadhed61[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  10. May 5, 2016 at 2:06 PM
    rileySB

rileySB RileySB

Member:
    First Name:
    Gen
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR 4x4
    5100/887, Dakars, 285s, Built Right UCAs, Icon rears
    WOW it's still so green back there! Or do you have a nice green filter on your lens? :rofl:Looks amazingly beautiful considering the front country is turning golden brown:( And I remember when trying to buy a Scepter fuel tank, they wouldn't even ship to CA due to emission related crap. So I would imagine it's not "legal" to put gas in the water scepters, and maybe the water ones aren't rated for gas?

11. May 5, 2016 at 4:55 PM
    deadhed61

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Vehicle:
    The Black Pearl

haha! I didn't use any type of crazy filter, but I did touch it up a bit. :notsure: It is definitely alive back there!! There was actually still a decent "water crossing" to get to the parking lot by upper oso. Actually surprised me how much was still back there!!

So with the scepters, where did you eventually get them from?

12. May 5, 2016 at 5:01 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    Looks like some good times! :thumbsup:

13. May 5, 2016 at 5:02 PM
    deadhed61

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Vehicle:
    The Black Pearl
    :cheers:

14. May 5, 2016 at 7:20 PM
    deadhed61

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Vehicle:
    The Black Pearl
    Well that was a fast turnaround!!

They didn't give me an extender to actually mount multiple cans, and they gave me a 2 gal gas instead of water, but I guess I can't complain when they were "free" :notsure:

I still have no idea what to do with my two 1gal containers I got for free when they screwed up my original order. Maybe fill them with my favorite whiskey for those EXTRA long trips :p

Very cool of Rotopax though to replace "everything" after 15 months :thumbsup:

20160505_190434.jpg

15. May 5, 2016 at 7:26 PM
    CanisLupus

CanisLupus Member since 2011

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Stokesdale | NC
    Vehicle:
    ‘19 Honda Civic Hatchback
    Told you their customer service was good :thumbsup:

Matt

16. May 5, 2016 at 7:28 PM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    You can donate them to me :spy:

Manwithoutaplan likes this.
  17. May 5, 2016 at 7:50 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Hmmmm I'm still on the fence now. I think I'll do some mounts in the bed though either way :rofl:

deadhed61[OP] likes this.
  18. May 5, 2016 at 7:53 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Also Chris, I should be cruising through sometime in the beginning to middle of June. If everything works out I wanna grab a hotel in SB and SLO so I can enjoy each for a day or two. Definitely want a day out in Pismo to try to tune a little bit and see how the truck handles some whoops. I'll be sure to grab a couple six packs of IPA for you on ice ;)

19. May 5, 2016 at 8:05 PM
    deadhed61

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Vehicle:
    The Black Pearl
    Youre getting rid of your moto, so you won't have a need for the 1gal containers! :notsure:

Sounds good man! Keep me in the loop when your plans become a little more solid! I'm always in for some IPAs! :D

20. May 5, 2016 at 9:59 PM
    at_olw

at_olw Banned in D.C.

Member:
    Annndddd now it all makes sense :luvya:

I have no proof to back this claim - but I'd bet dollars to donuts that the plastic composite is the same for both. The issue is that the water jug has no gasket, and the way it is molded, it would be difficult to effectively add one. Additionally, the gas can has a breather hole, that the water jug does not, which would impede how fast you can empty the can. The caps are not interchangeable and the threading is entirely different. It's a lot easier to show than describe, but to me it was entirely worth getting the appropriate container for the application, especially given the minimal price difference (if you are patient on fleabay). The legal aspect is an interesting one; both cans are stamped "property of US government." I would assume that this would grant the government the ability to legally seize the containers, but I haven't bothered studying the case law, as *hypothetically* NSA: I've done a couple border crossings now and have had badges go through my truck, and it's never been brought up. I guess you could always claim you bought at a surplus store. YMMV. The EPA / CARB side of thing is somewhat of a secondary issue. Scepter (and legitimate distributors) does not sell directly to any non-governmental intently in the US, as their cans do not meet either standard. At least not the version of the cans you want. tl;dr: buy the appropriate cans for the application

I have an idea: :fenforcer:

This reminds of the folks who talk about how easy it is to deal with orileys/vatozone/napa/etc lifetime warranty. All that means is you spend a life time replacing the part! I'd rather buy products that don't require me to deal with CS, but that's just me :notsure:

Products Discussed in

To Top