1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealer Failed Truck for Rust, but Wants Me to Drive It

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Gonzoso, May 16, 2011.

1. May 16, 2011 at 8:41 PM
    Gonzoso

Gonzoso [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    NE PA
    Vehicle:
    2000 5spd 2.7L 4x4
    Tool box, Bedliner, Not too much yet as I bought it 4/28.
    I bought my 2000 Regular cab, 2.7l 5 speed on 4/28. As a condition of my purchase I asked for the used car dealer to get the truck inspected by Toyota of Newton for frame rust. They passed it and undercoated it. 5/13/11 I took the truck to my mechanic who found this rust hole by poking the rust under the undercoat with a screwdriver and failed my truck.
    [​IMG]
    So 5/15 I dropped it off to get inspected again by my local dealer, Halterman Toyota in East Stroudsburg. Halterman called me up and told me it did indeed fail. Here is where it gets screwy.

Halterman wants me to drive my illegal, no inspection, hole in frame truck all the way across the New Jersey border to the original dealer for them to inspect it. I think thats bullshit and I'm going to call corporate tomorrow and talk to them. I think this is just some schmuck trying to pass the buck.

To me the truck is shot, Newton screwed the pooch, and I don't wanna drive an illegal rotted truck. As a Toyota dealer, any Toyota dealer, they should be able to make this right without endangering my life and legal well being driving such a vehicle right?

Does anyone have experience dealing with this crap and anyone I could talk to at Toyota to get this resolved quickly?

I saved up cash for this truck and bought it as a graduation present to myself for getting through college and it's turning into a nightmare. The dealer gentleman I spoke to called it a "quagmire".

2. May 16, 2011 at 8:43 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB
    Grillcraft mx black upper and lower BHLM with Gloss black 265 70 17 bfg a/t center console light mini mag mounted in center console debadged bed lights 35W 5000k HID's
    just call corporate and it'll get sorted out. I wouldn't drive it either!
    take off anything you can before you bring it in! :)

3. May 16, 2011 at 8:46 PM
    Gonzoso

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    NE PA
    Vehicle:
    2000 5spd 2.7L 4x4
    It is at a dealer, they failed it, but want me to drive it from their dealer to another dealer in New Jersey. The NJ dealer inspected it 4/28 and passed it when it should have failed. And supposedly you're supposed to own the truck 6 months before they can inspect it, and the dealer said the extended warranty is ending 9/2011.

4. May 16, 2011 at 9:29 PM
    boatswain

boatswain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    09 barcelona red , base
    when I took my 95 tacoma down to krause toyota,to get the frame checked,they told me if it failed I wouldn't be able to drive it off the lot. sounds like BS to me. that truck should be under the frame recall. my letter,from toyota,said they would buy it back for 1 1/2 x top dollar for the model year. as a matter of fact,thruway auto near lehighton,had recalled tacomas stacked all over the place. he had some kind of a contract to dispose of them. couldn't part them out. 95-2002 I believe was the recall. think they started replacing the frames after awhile,instead of buying truck back. don't know if this recall is still in effect,but i'll guarantee that someone on this forum knows if it is or not. if it is,and something bad happens,due to the frame,you could end up owning the dealership,or at least get enough money to buy a lifetime supply of toyotas.

5. May 16, 2011 at 11:30 PM
    gusotto

gusotto gusotto

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 4X4 SR5 Extended Cab
    You shouldn't have to drive it to another dealer if the frame fails.
    Especially across the state, even though it would probably go fine and not fall apart.
    (My frame was much worse than yours and I drove it for weeks until the parts came in to replace the frame.)
    You might point out the liability factor when driving across the state as ordered by the dealer who sounds like he wants to have someone else take care of your problem.

6. May 16, 2011 at 11:43 PM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    If ANYTHING they should tow it to the other dealer for you... as someone else said, call corporate and they will hopefully take care of you.

7. May 17, 2011 at 7:43 AM
    Gonzoso

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    NE PA
    Vehicle:
    2000 5spd 2.7L 4x4
    I just spent some time on the phone with customer service. The first time I called they put me on with Shauntia who failed. I didn't even know if she was there, I had to keep asking "Are you still on the line?" as I related my experience. Then to demonstrate a complete misunderstanding of my situation, she asked me at the end "So do you want to get your truck looked at at another dealership?"

The entire reason for this call was to avoid driving the truck to another dealership.:mad: I paused for a moment to collect my thoughts, said no, and she hung up one me:eek::confused:.

Then I called back 2 minutes later and I spoke to some fellow who was helpful, could comprehend what I said, understood the situation, and began an investigation and I got a ten digit number.:cool:

Thank god, after the first call I was really really put off Toyota customer service.

8. May 17, 2011 at 3:50 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Just out for a rip are ya bud?

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Boise ID
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    meh, its a blessing is disguise. You will get more for the truck from the buyback than what you bought it for, then you can get a BETTER truck:D

but i defanitly wouldnt be driving it. take out anything that you put in and have the dealership/toyota take care of it. Hope everything goes smoothly for you.

9. May 18, 2011 at 1:19 PM
    Gonzoso

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    NE PA
    Vehicle:
    2000 5spd 2.7L 4x4
    I bought it from a used car dealer. I had him take it to Toyota to get the frame inspected THE DAY BEFORE I bought it. They passed it and undercoated the frame. Everything was covered in fresh undercoat, my mechanic uncovered that spot on the frame, and some of the undercoat is starting to flake off.

I've now spent some time on the phone with Toyota, the truck is at a dealership right now, I have a case number and I just want this to be over with.
    [FONT=VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA]
    [/FONT]

10. May 18, 2011 at 1:57 PM
    kstaco

kstaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    South Central, Ks
    Vehicle:
    Trd 4X4
    OME all 4 corners,AAL in rear
    On what year tacomas do you need to have the frame inspected on? All first gen models?

11. May 18, 2011 at 2:01 PM
    tacovic

tacovic Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN/WI
    Vehicle:
    00 4x4 TRD
    stock for now
    Yes. If its 95-00 and it fails then they buy the truck back and if its a 01-04 and it fails then they replace the frame. If it passes, they scrape down the frame and undercoat it.

12. May 18, 2011 at 2:05 PM
    kstaco

kstaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    South Central, Ks
    Vehicle:
    Trd 4X4
    OME all 4 corners,AAL in rear
    Is there a for sure deadline when they will stop doing this?

13. May 18, 2011 at 2:22 PM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    My frame failed and i drove it off the lot and continued to drive it while they processed the claim.

I didn't see the drama it it, but certainly didn't make any commercials with it in the meantime knowing there was a hole in the frame.

14. May 19, 2011 at 9:18 AM
    Gonzoso

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    NE PA
    Vehicle:
    2000 5spd 2.7L 4x4

The point is the truck is at a Toyota dealer, I don't see the need to take it to another one to get this buyback done. It's illegal to drive with no inspection and I would have to take it to NJ. NJ state troopers are vicious, they even have the Gestapo leather sash across their chest. (True story the guy that designed NJ troopers uniforms went to Germany in the 1930's and got inspired)

At any rate I contacted corporate and they agreed it is asinine to fail the truck then make me drive it to another dealership to fail it again. It was pretty much just the tech I dealt with trying to not have to deal with the issue and pas the buck to someone else.

So one Toyota dealership passed and undercoated a crappy truck. The other one has been schiesty and tried to get out of doing their job. I'm kind of disenfranchised at this point regarding Toyota.

15. May 19, 2011 at 9:14 PM
    Member1115

Member1115 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Coming Soon...!!!
    Hmmm....:confused:

OK... so is this "recall" still in effect today? I thought I had heard that it was done and over with. No more buybacks, no more frame swaps, no more fixes. Didn't make sense, but that's what I had heard somewhere on here.

16. May 19, 2011 at 10:47 PM
    tacovic

tacovic Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN/WI
    Vehicle:
    00 4x4 TRD
    stock for now
    Toyota extended it. Its happening right now. Go get it checked out before it ends.

17. May 20, 2011 at 7:17 AM
    sourdough44

sourdough44 Member

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    Sold my 2000 Tacoma
    I don't see the point in going to another dealership. I also drove my truck for a bit after the frame was found 'failed' due to rust. I may of had other options but I preferred to drive my truck. I did have to sign a waiver that I was aware of the frame issue.

18. May 20, 2011 at 9:17 AM
    gusotto

gusotto gusotto

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 4X4 SR5 Extended Cab
    What was the cash offer for your truck?

19. May 20, 2011 at 11:41 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.

What he^^ said I doubt if it was ever taken to a Toyota dealer, in order not to loose the sale, the guy you bought it from most likely looked under the truck and decided to cover up the rust, except he fucked up and should of never sold it to you and he himself should of sold it back to Toyota.

20. May 20, 2011 at 2:27 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    03 GMC Sierra
    I say drive it across the border for him. But on the way you stop off at your house and play chop shop. Then roll into the other dealer with no bed, bumpers, lights, 4 mismatched wheels/tires, fenders, glass, or doors. Then collect your check and get yourself an ebay account.

To Top