1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealer Flat Out Refused to Look at Truck for Rear TSB

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacoriffic, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Aug 16, 2011 at 8:58 AM
    Derecho

Derecho Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thomaston, ME
    Vehicle:
    11 Magnetic Grey Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    Access Tonneau Cover Cobra 29 WXNWST Wilson Lil' Wil COMING SOON... Custom Designed Bedrack
    I had a similar experience at my NH dealer. As opposed to creating a scene, I left an email for corporate with what the dealer said, "TSB doesn't fix the problem." The Service manager called me two days later, *tail between legs*, and asked me if I would mind bringing my truck in to get my suspension taken care of.

"Squeaky wheel gets the grease."

2. Aug 16, 2011 at 9:09 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    I think the key words are "should not matter" - from reading a lot of these treads and posts it looks like it does. Then again you could just go to corporate in half the time you and I have spent on this and you would have had it taken care of - again from when I have read here on TW.

3. Aug 16, 2011 at 10:01 AM
    transplant

transplant resident know-nothing

Member:
    First Name:
    theo
    Crestline, Ca
    Vehicle:
    89 sr5, 99 OR, 11sport, 14 offroad
    this is probably the best idea ive heard all week. keep in mind its only tuesday and theres room still for improvement.. but leading off with a headbutt is always pretty boss.

4. Aug 16, 2011 at 10:14 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Never understood why some dealers would flat out refuse the TSB work. If the service dept. is overbooked and the dealer wants more profitable non-warranty work, they can always accept the work then give you an extra-long timeframe in hopes you go elsewhere.

I would go to another dealer. Even if Tarbox cooperates after Toyota corporate intervenes, would you still trust them to work on your truck?

5. Aug 16, 2011 at 11:59 AM
    charles08tacoma

charles08tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR-5 Access Cab
    White Snug Top shell
    The dealer I bought my truck from refused to do the TSB on my truck. They only said I overloaded it. I had to take it to another dealer about 40 miles away.

6. Aug 16, 2011 at 1:31 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    This is total bull shit. Dealers that won't honor TSB's - Toyota tec's that say we shouldn't use a Tacoma as a truck - go buy a Ford F150 if you want a truck:eek::eek:. Almost $30,000 and I'm not supposed to use it as a truck - maybe just pick up a gal of milk on the way home and that's it. I wonder if Tacoma sales are good. If not maybe it's rust, TBS, accelerator, fan motor noise, bearing, and can't use it as a truck, etc issues. Maybe we should send this thread to corporate.

7. Aug 16, 2011 at 1:36 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    I would have given that rep so much shit...
    good luck with another dealership, mine gave me the tsb with no hassle.

All you need to do is write a nice little editorial to the local newspaper.

8. Aug 17, 2011 at 4:59 AM
    tacoriffic

tacoriffic [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Rhode Island
    Clarion CX609 HU, Satoshi Grill, More to come
    Went to pick up the truck after work, and talked to the service manager. He said he checked out the truck after I talked to the one of the other service rep's about the problem, and ordered new leaf packs for the truck.

I guess we'll see what happens....

9. Aug 17, 2011 at 5:10 AM
    neoflex

neoflex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sounds like your in good shape now. Typically with this TSB they need to order the parts. I know mine had to be ordered but they did have them in two days.

10. Aug 17, 2011 at 5:12 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    Very well put man, I personally will probably not buy another toyota truck.

11. Aug 24, 2011 at 7:09 PM
    Dreyfus

Dreyfus Active Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    04 Ext cab TRD OffRoad V6 auto 4x4
    Here's my leaf spring TSB experience.

I recently bought an '08 with 46K on it, so the 36K TSB cut-off was passed. However, it was a Toyota Certified Pre-Owned which extends the original warranty 12K and one year. I brought the truck to Toyota of Apex here in NC for the TSB work right after my first load - the bed totally bottomed out on the frame. :mad:

The dealer said sure, but after checking said the Certified Warranty people wouldn't cover it. I called the warranty people and debated for 30 minutes on how a defective design should be covered under the original warranty, which my extended warranty was. They wouldn't budge, saying TSB work wasn't warranty work. :confused:

I called the corporate Toyota Customer Experience line and opened a case. Then I called the service manager (Brian) at the dealership and gave him a heads up that the case was about to be sent to him and reiterated my position. He was great to work with and said he'd see what he could do.

Well, a couple of days later he called back and said the springs were approved and when would I like to bring it in. I had the work done today and am now riding on the improved 4-leaf pack. :)

So with all the poor service that we find everywhere these days I'd like to give a shout out to Brian and Toyota of Apex for going to bat for me. This is the kind of customer service that makes a business worth doing business with.

12. Aug 24, 2011 at 7:21 PM
    Iakopa84

Iakopa84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD Off-Road
    Aries Grille Guard, PIAA 520 xtreme ATP lights, K&N high-flow intake, 2.5" velocity front leveling kit
    It'll be interesting to see if they try and charge you for the leafs/install... did they mention anything about charging you?

13. Aug 25, 2011 at 5:01 AM
    tacoriffic

tacoriffic [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Rhode Island
    Clarion CX609 HU, Satoshi Grill, More to come
    I had the leafs installed last Friday with no problems. Truck rides like a truck, not like a Lincoln Continental with a truck bed like it did before. All work was performed under the TSB with no charge.

14. Aug 25, 2011 at 6:09 PM
    kcrob1

kcrob1 Choot It!

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Montgomery, TX
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT CC/LB
    Adjustable Billies, Debadged, Painted emblem on grille Kenwood Double din, polk components, co-ax, polk 8" sub & polk amp, TSB springs, 6000K hids, FJ Wheels
    Just left the dealership and they told me to call and schedule an appointment to get it done on my 2011. 05-10 they do the springs and then the shocks if needed. On the 2011 they do not replace the shocks, just the springs. I am dropping mine off next week.

15. Aug 26, 2011 at 5:47 AM
    sam hain

sam hain Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Southeast, TN
    I had my TSB work done Wednesday, all they replaced was my springs and did a front end alignment. I guess since my truck is a 2010 with 12k miles my shocks were ok, because they didn't change them.

16. Aug 26, 2011 at 6:25 AM
    GP100

GP100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    RI
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Offroad
    My 06 TRD squeaks like hell. I live about 1 mile from Tarbox. I need to talk to the service manager about getting that taken care of. I bought the truck at Toyota of Newport, but that dealership has changed hands recently. I did just buy a corolla at tarbox though.

17. Aug 26, 2011 at 6:56 AM
    CVYota

CVYota Damaged goods

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Crescenta Valley
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB V6 4WD
    Extended front 2.5 Icons. LR UCAs, Dakar Leaf Springs, rear King Smooth 2.5 w/res , Softopper, 285/75-16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with kevlar,16x8 SCS wheels 4.5 bs, Brute Force Rear bumper, 4x4 switch led, Diff Breather mod, weathertechs, Pelfrybilt front bumper, IFS and mid skids, B.A.M.F rear diff armor, LCA armor, Light bar mount and Sliders, Homer grill, Andres Devil horns, LED light bar, gauge pod with dual battery gauge and ecometer. Dual battery.
    The key seems to be not to tell them about the TSB, just mention the bottoming out and harsh ride under load. Techs don't like to be told how to do their job and are much happier when they discover the resolution.

However, I would go into the sales manager and mention the whole 'buy a ford' suggestion the service tech mentioned, then let the shit fly.

Products Discussed in

To Top