1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealer oil change!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jb9281, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Feb 13, 2010 at 5:47 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Changing the oil on these new Taco's is a absolute pleasure to do...I actually look forward to it. To make it even easier, take off the rubber plug on the oil filter drain basin and permanently attach a hose with a clamp and run it down through the hole on the skid plate. If your set on letting someone else do the work, put a small mark on the filter to be sure they put on a new one. Check the oil level a couple times. Also, double check your drain plug for tightness...hopefully they didn't cross thread it! Going to a fast lube place is asking for trouble...

2. Feb 14, 2010 at 4:33 AM
    dog tired

dog tired Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    German is green in color ( the oil is what is green ) this is a cult oil good luck on finding any

3. Feb 15, 2010 at 9:22 PM
    RockyTacoma

RockyTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dojo
    colorado
    Vehicle:
    2002 tacoma trd
    stock
    im getting my oil changed tommorrow, along with timing belt replacement at toyota dealership. i took a marker an put an "X" on oil filter and took picture of it. i will inspect oil filter after service, and if i see old oil filter with an "x" .. heads will roll!!

4. Aug 6, 2010 at 10:40 AM
    10trdgirl

10trdgirl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Becky
    KY
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road Tacoma
    i just bought the stuff to do my own oil change and I have a 2 year service contract with Toyota. I don't trust the dealerships and I am not waiting to do oil changes every 5000 miles like the contract says. Hope this oil change is as easy as it looks. Thanks for all the info on this site. It makes it easier for someone has has never owned a Taco to know more about their truck.:)

5. Aug 6, 2010 at 12:01 PM
    solidcopy

solidcopy High Speed, Low Drag

Member:
    WV
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    I write the oil change date on the filter with a sharpie for exactly this reason. It's pretty easy to see whether or not they've changed the filter after a change.

6. Aug 6, 2010 at 12:06 PM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Damn i didnt know dealers were still pulling this trick. One time, when we had our 1993 4Runner (this occurred sometime in the 90s), we took that to the dealership to do an oil change and what my dad had done is taken some of that yellow marking chalk stuff and put a small mark on the original oil filter. Before we leave the dealership we always check to see that the work was actually done, and not surprisingly they did NOT change the oil filter. ohhh damn was my dad pissed.

Now hes taught me how to change my own oil, since im doing it i know whats going in my truck :D

7. Aug 6, 2010 at 12:08 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    x2. I just make a little mark with a sharpie so I know if I got a new filter. It's sad that you have to do that, but they aren't dubbed stealerships for nothin.

8. Aug 6, 2010 at 2:04 PM
    10trdgirl

10trdgirl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Becky
    KY
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road Tacoma
    I just did my first oil change and it went very smooth. Thanks to the info listed on here, I knew to loosen the nipple to let the oil out of the filter so I didn't have a mess to clean up. Thanks guys!!!

9. Aug 6, 2010 at 3:15 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd

another thing these lube shops do is drain the oil as fast as they can and put the bolt in before it has completly stopped draining, then he pulls the overhead oil fill line puts the end in your filler neck dial in the amount the book calls for and pulls the trigger. most of the time it will be overfilled. I agree do it yourself, do it right, save some money. I honestly think you could probably change your oil and filter every 8000 miles or so and your engine would last as long as ones who change it every 3000 miles.

10. Aug 6, 2010 at 3:19 PM
    coffeesnob

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd

was this a tire rotation using the spare tire or, just the four already on? I wonder if many people use the spare on tire rotations

11. Aug 6, 2010 at 3:26 PM
    Barnone

Barnone Guest

I wonder with all these opinions, have any of you ever lost an engine due to oil failure? Have any of you ever had you oil analyzed after 5k miles? Have you ever cut a used oil apart to see what was in it?

12. Aug 6, 2010 at 3:40 PM
    rev25sharp

rev25sharp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    jacksonville fl
    Vehicle:
    Silver 17dcsb trd sport
    so let me get this straight... you talk down to the servicing people that will be working on your car? wow thats not very bright! why would you insult an organization, and then call to give them a lecture? haha moron

13. Aug 8, 2010 at 5:50 AM
    coffeesnob

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd

Had a friend who worked for an engine plant I can't remember if it was car motors, truck motors, jet motors,or what but he said they did a study that as long as your oil doesn't overheat then you can use it forever. He said they had proof that changing the oil filter and then topping off was all you had to do and that these 3,000 mile intervals are all ways that the oil companies use to sell more oil. I don't know if I believe that but I had a 79 celica with the 20 r and I put the 3000 mile oil in it that I drained from my van and it ran great. and was well over a hundred thoousand miles when i sold it. of course those old 20 r's would run forever even after being totally abused.

14. Aug 8, 2010 at 7:52 AM
    upflying

upflying Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Antioch
    I always do my own since I actually enjoy doing it. It also gives me a chance to look around for any other issues such as leaks or damage. I change my own because I want to not because I have to. As I get older though, it may get physically challenging to DIY.
    I am from a generation where DIY auto maintenance was part of growing up and expected as part of the manhood duties your father taught you. I guess today some of the stereotypical masculine chores have been emasculated.

15. Aug 8, 2010 at 9:03 AM
    coffeesnob

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    guess today some of the stereotypical masculine chores have been emasculated.[/quote]

Ya it seems that way,

16. Aug 8, 2010 at 9:11 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    I don't. I'm not mounting and balancing a tire every rotation.

17. Aug 8, 2010 at 9:25 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    long time ago I asked my father when I am going to be able to drive, He said "first learn how to fix the car, then you will learn how to drive it"
    Doing own DIY saves thousands a year and in current economic times its a way to go.

18. Aug 8, 2010 at 10:29 AM
    Lonewolf

Lonewolf Well-Known Member

Member:
    So. Cal
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 TRD Sport CC, LB
    King Racing reservoir shocks, Camburg UCA's, Deaver 10 leaf pack, Bilstein 5100's, Magnaflow exhaust.
    A friend of mine who also owns a Tacoma, takes his to the dealership but provides his own synthetic oil, Penzoil Ultra I think.
    Anyway his dealer does the work and reduces the price of the oil that he provides.
    My question is, do you think the dealer can be trusted to use his oil, or could he just be keeping it and putting in something else?

19. Aug 8, 2010 at 3:18 PM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    Boy thats a tough question, the more you hear abouit dealers the more you wonder. I would bet that if he supplied the oil they would put it in, as requested.
    We did like wise with our new Subaru, when it came time to do the first oil change.
    Of course the only way to make sure is do it yourself, or take it to a local garage that you trust.

Jeff, 06, V6, SR5 , 6spd Raidiant Red

Products Discussed in

To Top