1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealer Options

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Nukewater, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Oct 4, 2009 at 2:35 PM
    Nukewater

Nukewater [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Saskatchewan
    I was just at my dealer the other day pricing out a 2010 4x4 DC.

While I was getting the finance papers ready, I was confronted with some options to think about.

Paint Protection $299
    Sound Shield $299
    Fabric Protection $248
    Rust Protection $258

Packages 2/$475, 3/$648, 4/$785

I also was given an option for 3m Paint Protection Film, ranging anywhere from $200 - $1000

Now what are peoples opinions on these. I was told with the paint protection, it covers the vehicle in "Diamond-Kote Paint Protection" and that I would never need to wax a vehicle (worth $300 in my opinion, i hate waxing) And sound deadening could be a good option for highway use.

Any Thoughts?

2. Oct 4, 2009 at 2:37 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is gooder 'en chicken Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+250k AND COUNTING), 88 SR5 PU (SOLD), 98 TRD OR (CRUSHED)
    5100's all on fours
    RUST Protection, rust Protection and rust protection.

That is all.

3. Oct 4, 2009 at 2:51 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Say no to all. This must be your first time buying a new car.

4. Oct 4, 2009 at 2:54 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Your Toyota dealer might contract the work out to another garage for rust protection. You might be able to go to another garage after buying the truck and get it rust proofed for much cheaper.

I'm not sure what the other stuff is but to me it seems like it should all be covered under warranty anyways.

5. Oct 4, 2009 at 4:18 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    when you make a great deal, this is how they make their money.
    no paint protection protects scratches, scotchgard the seats, undercoating only lasts so long, sound shield???? probably the same can of undercoating.
    Just say no!

"diamond-kote" - aren't diamonds one of the hardest materials, i dont think i want this rubbed into my paint - hahaha

6. Oct 4, 2009 at 4:35 PM
    baildavc

baildavc TREADING LIGHTLY!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Jasper, AL
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 white DC OR
    3 inch lift, 33's, bull bar, debadged, windows tinted, direct wired power inverter, blacked out front emblem,
    the paint protection is actually neat, my wifes civic SI has it and the sales rep demoes it on a brand new car by setting the hood on fire, putting it out, and then wiped it clean. may have been hocus-pocus but made me feel better!

7. Oct 4, 2009 at 5:14 PM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    All gimmicks to squeeze more hard earned money out of you pockets. If it means that much to you, do some research on how much it would cost elsewhere. Like the car, all services, warranties and ons are negotiable. Don't cave to their pressure, you new truck isn't going to fall apart in 3 months. They probably told you something like "in this cold weather blah blah blah" and here in AZ they say the same thing just sub in hot for cold. Lol I laugh at them every time. Research will be your friend on this one. Oh and there is no paint in the world that doesn't need to be waxed at least once a year. If you hate it that much pay someone to detail you care once a year. It will be worth the $150 to you.

Best of luck man :)

8. Oct 5, 2009 at 7:22 AM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Black,Sport package,
    Sport pedals, Extang full-tilt cover, Magnaflow exhaust system, XPEL invisible paint protection, TRD short Shifter, Hood struts, Homelink mirror, Dbl power outlets,Kuhmo 275x55x20, Platinum #220 Abyss wheels 20x9.5. Muth heated signal mirrors TSB. Lo-Tek Pilllar pod with Glow-Shift gauges, 4x4 illuminated switch, Pioneer Z110BT (upgraded to Z130BT) w/2011 toyota tailgate backup camera,traffic tuner, parking brake bypass. Leather interior w/heated seats. LED's installed in glove box, center console, front and rear cupholders, rear console vent, AFE CAI, LED taillights, under hood lights, LED bed lights, oil catch can, extra D-rings installed in bed, frame replaced, Bilstein 5100, fronts set at.85, FOCAL Auditor 6.5" componet speakers. Replaced lower center dash panel with 2011 dash panel, installed USB charger and relocated seat heater switches to lower panel.
    I have researched the paint ptotection, is not worth it for my money. Nothing protects the paint that you do not have to wax it. Read the fine print,it you keep taking it back because the paint feels rough they will give you your money back. I found for my car and truck the clear bra was the best for chips and scratches. For the paint I have found no short cuts for waxing.

9. Oct 5, 2009 at 7:27 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Say no to all, Google rust protection for your area and have it done yourself.
    :)

10. Oct 6, 2009 at 3:47 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    Paint Protection from my dealership was free, but the truck had to be brought in every 6 months for re-application and it had to be detailed before bringing it in. If you missed a re-application then the whole plan is invalid, I researched it and decided even with it being free it wasn't worth it.
    Fabric Protection is simply scotch guard, do it yourself and spend the $$ on some Wet Okole seat covers.
    Rust Protection, we don't have salted roads or snow so we don't do that here, but getting it done at a local shop is probably cheaper than through the dealer.
    Sound Shield, never heard of it through a dealer and my truck isn't noisy, so I wouldn't pay for it. Do it yourself if you feel its needed after driving it for awhile.
    3M Film also called 'clear bra', again something that is probably cheaper at a shop. I had it put on the edges of my doors and don't actually like it at all just haven't removed it yet cause its going to be hard to remove.

I bought an extended warranty, but for half the price they wanted. I just kept telling them no and they kept lowering the price ;).

To Top