1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealer Overpricing Truck?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by GRN245, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Nov 18, 2019 at 5:19 PM
    GRN245

GRN245 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Been eyeing a TRD Off-Road Access Cab V6 6 speed manual for awhile, between the years of 2005 to 2011 and finding next to none, because it seems the West Texas/Southern NM area loses the few locally bought examples of them to military (take them elsewhere), out-of-state buyers or transients. Locals seem allergic to stick pickups.

Found a 4dr DCSB at a local non-Toyota dealer, with a 3 owner history between the Pacific NW, AZ, and TX, with a nice set of mods to it. No rust thankfully.
    20191118.jpg 20191118 3.jpg 20191118 5.jpg 20191118 6.jpg 20191118 2.jpg 20191118 4.jpg
    Problem is, dealer is charging nearly $23k for a 10 year old truck. Last time I checked, an '09 Tacoma TRD Off-Road V6 4x4 6-speed manual shouldn't be anywhere near that much.

They lowest they'll go is roughly $20k ($19.7k to be exact), which I feel is BS, but I feel very discomforted with the idea of paying $3-4k over KBB. They've tacked on window etching ($300), all sorts of stupid fees along with TTL equaling a potential $2252 on top of the sales price.

From what I know about this truck, the 3rd owner traded it in for a loaded ($75k, marked up to $90k) 2019 Raptor. Ironically, two years ago I overpaid for a used example 2 years ago and I want out of it, because it was never feasible for me long term and the honeymoon ended a long time ago.

I owned a Tacoma many years ago and miss it, realizing I don't want the maintenance headache that comes with a high performance full-size truck, while trying to get a BSME. It was a senseless decision.

They offered me $2k over my book value, but the banks are balking at the dealer's markup against '09 Tacoma value ranges and asking me to put a larger down payment.

From KBB
    • $12,927 to $17,014 for Fair Market Range
    • Fair Purchase Price is $14,971
    • Typical Listing is $15,421 for zip code/area given.
    NADA
    • $17,300 for Clean Retail
    Having an idea who the previous owner is (seen this exact truck near a friend's house), but not personally knowing them, I'm not sure whether to contact them what they were given for their trade (seems invasive/stalkerish). I am not sure I believe that the dealer paid him a lot for his trade, at a NON-TOYOTA dealer. They are trying to milk this truck IMHO, but I can't confirm what they paid for it.

Is it worth $20k before TTL?

2. Nov 19, 2019 at 7:16 AM
    whatstcp

whatstcp currently drunk so don't listen to me

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Regular Cab 2.7l 4x4
    King + Archive Relocation Wheeler's bumps +hydros
    Didnt we have this conversation already?

It's a terrible idea broski, keep looking for another Tacoma.

edit: just saw that you posted same thread to regional probably to get a local opinion, thought I was having deja vu.

Did a quick search on the good ole FB marketplace and cargurus and yeah few options out there and even then that stuff is overpriced. I still say be patient and scour ads weekly till you find a good deal near you. Took me about a year of test driving, visiting dealers, and throwing offers out there to find my Tacoma but it's possible.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    0xDEADBEEF and BassAckwards like this.
  3. Nov 19, 2019 at 7:18 AM
    49erfan

49erfan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Prerunner Lunar Mist
    Offer them what you are comfortable paying, walk out if they don't want to negotiate

BassAckwards likes this.
  4. Nov 19, 2019 at 7:21 AM
    4x4spiegel

4x4spiegel Well-Known Member

Member:
    "There's a sucker born every minute" per P T Barnum

5. Nov 19, 2019 at 7:22 AM
    dal3_gribble

dal3_gribble Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Crew Cab SB TRD Offroad
    That's probably $5k+ in mods on that truck so KBB and NADA are not really applicable. What kind of suspension? Book doesn't matter as much on modded vehicles because it becomes more of a personal purchase for those buyers that connect with the modded vehicle.

They'll sell it for what someone is willing to pay for it. If you don't want to pay that, see if it's on the lot in 30 days and talk to them again and/or tell them your bottom line and to call you if they want to sell it for that.

6. Nov 19, 2019 at 7:27 AM
    Rock Lobster

Rock Lobster Thread Derailer

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dee Eff Dub
    Vehicle:
    Sport Crew represent
    If it's too high, it's too high. Let another sucker get reamed. You made your position known to the dealer, they didn't like it, so it's time to walk.

The most common mistake when buying is getting emotionally attached to the object before the deal is finalized. This one wasn't meant to be, so keep searching. Patience pays off.

p1zombiekiller likes this.
  7. Nov 19, 2019 at 7:27 AM
    Crgrey42

Crgrey42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    CNY
    Vehicle:
    Superwhite 13 TXPRO DCSB
    Looks like all Ebay mods. I'd pass and try to find a clean stock truck to start with, wouldn't want someone elses cheaply done project. Mods don't add value.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Naveronski likes this.
  8. Nov 19, 2019 at 9:17 AM
    MolonLabeTaco

MolonLabeTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dude
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    '12 DC 4x4 OR
    Yes it does. They gave maaaaaaybe $500 extra for those mods.
    You didn't say how many miles but if it's <100K then it's worth maybe $17K. 150K+ miles & it's worth $15K.

9. Nov 19, 2019 at 4:17 PM
    Brofessor

Brofessor Well-Known Member

Member:
    You either want it or you don’t. If you want it pay the price. If you don’t then move on. No use in wasting time on it.

a seller will set the price they chose and a buyer will pay the price they want.

10. Nov 19, 2019 at 4:33 PM
    pnw.river.junkie

pnw.river.junkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNW
    It doesn't really matter what they gave the previous owner on his trade, so there's no point in chasing that down. They could have given him $1 for it and still list it for however much they want. They take trades to resell them for a profit and aren't obligated to pass that $$ on to the next guy. That being said, it's marked up for the mods, so maybe they find a buyer for it, or maybe it sits on the lot for a long time and they gradually lower the price until it sells. Either way, they don't want to make a deal on it right now. If I were you, I'd find the rig you're looking for somewhere else in the country and drive it back. A one way flight and some gas isn't that big of a deal.

Beretta4x4 likes this.
  11. Nov 20, 2019 at 6:45 AM
    imthejaybird

imthejaybird I make things and do stuff. TTC #287

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Burleson, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Plus, road trip adventure!

12. Nov 22, 2019 at 11:10 AM
    TuRDLYFE

TuRDLYFE Well-Known Member

Member:
    An over-taxed town, county, and state
    Vehicle:
    2020 AG TRD Pro 6MT
    It looks like a clean truck, but I'm not sure I'd pay a premium on NADA just for modifications. I see mods on a car for sale and I have flashbacks to some of the git' er done jobs I had done on my previous cars and how I treated them after that.

13. Nov 25, 2019 at 7:07 AM
    tony2018

tony2018 Well-Known Member

Member:

Its this. I once had an oem dealer do the same for some stupid factory rails on a CRV. We told them to take it off, their answer was 'well we'd have to charge you'. We call another dealer nearby and had them on speaker so they could hear and the guy on the phone double confirm that the CRV we looked at was still there and the OTD price. We left.

Products Discussed in

To Top