1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealer refuses to work on my Taco!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 2011TacoSport4x4, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Sep 25, 2010 at 7:12 PM
    2011TacoSport4x4

2011TacoSport4x4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clyde
    Offutt AFB, Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport DC 4x4 OME 3" lift
    OME 3" lift, Flowmaster exhaust, K&N Intake, bestop, ARB Locker, 4:56 gears, ARB Deluxe bumper, Warn 8000lb winch, Synthetic line, Rock sliders, exhaust relocation done, All Pro standard 3" leaf packs, Timbren Bump stops, Extended brake lines, Pioneer dual din DVD, Pioneer door speakers, Ultra Gauge, BAMF Lower LCA Skids.
    I feel you! Toyota corporate will back you on these issue's, that's always good to know. I know they fixed something, and its better but not perfect.

2. Sep 25, 2010 at 7:30 PM
    tommyxv

tommyxv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    '11 DC 4x4 TRD Sport
    I'm glad to hear that about Toyota standing up for the vehicle owners. Once I got home with my new Taco, I went to the filing cabinet, grabbed the SS file folder (s), yes folders, I had so many service documents, and shredded them all. What a relief.

3. Sep 25, 2010 at 7:44 PM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    There have been 60+ posts here ... and we all have a tendenacy to ramble on ..... so I have sort of lost track ... or perhaps I am missed something.

Now read carefully.

This is just my slant but isn't a dealership a private business?

If a mod had been performed I really don't think that it is against the law to deny service to anyone. If the business feels that they may not be able to correct a problem or feel that they don't want to be held liable I suppose they can turn you away.

Now, having said that .... if the problem exist in a part that is factory installed and the vehicle is still under warranty then I am sure that it is reasonable to think that they perform the work.

4. Sep 25, 2010 at 7:54 PM
    tegdog

tegdog Taco Lover

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl TRD Sport
    ventvisors,seatcovers, bug shield,TRD CAI,TRD CAT BACK,blacked out emblems,bed extender, TSB leaf pack,Pro Dry filter, Grill craft upper, lower, & triangles, Hella 500 Black magics
    If this problem existed before the lift then I think you kinda screwed up by lifting it before the issue was resolved. You made it really easy for them to blame it on the lift, I am not saying that is the problem, but lifts can cause vibes so its not that hard to believe they are saying that.

5. Sep 25, 2010 at 7:55 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    I agree.

An awfully conservative position there jp? lol :cheers:

btw, teach...you spelled tendency wrong. :D

6. Sep 25, 2010 at 7:56 PM
    jpmorrisvb

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod

tegdog .... we agree on something ...... it is a grand day ..... cheers .... :cheers:

7. Sep 25, 2010 at 8:00 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    All BS aside...and to expand on jp's point...

I have been asked many times to do repairs in homes...roofs are the worse.

If a contractor does ANY work on your roof...and there is a problem later (even not in the area he repaired)...he is responsible. Once he goes on that roof...he owns it!

8. Sep 25, 2010 at 8:00 PM
    jpmorrisvb

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    #1 --- we usually agree (unless you're wrong .... :cool:)

#2 --- I consider it more of "a voice of reason" ... :facepalm:

#3 --- don't be a smart ass ... ;)

9. Sep 25, 2010 at 8:01 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    There is ALWAYS common ground. :cheers:

10. Sep 25, 2010 at 8:03 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    Again I agree.

that "voice of reason"...is usually the conservative approach.

jus' sayin' :D

[​IMG]

11. Sep 25, 2010 at 10:21 PM
    glwood6

glwood6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 XCab Prerunner
    Bilstein 4600 shocks.
    Could you put the front back to stock, then take the truck in to another dealer if the vibrations are still apparent? I know it's a PITA, but you just might run up against the same thing at another dealer...

12. Sep 26, 2010 at 4:59 AM
    2011TacoSport4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Clyde
    Offutt AFB, Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    OME 3" lift, Flowmaster exhaust, K&N Intake, bestop, ARB Locker, 4:56 gears, ARB Deluxe bumper, Warn 8000lb winch, Synthetic line, Rock sliders, exhaust relocation done, All Pro standard 3" leaf packs, Timbren Bump stops, Extended brake lines, Pioneer dual din DVD, Pioneer door speakers, Ultra Gauge, BAMF Lower LCA Skids.
    toyota said lifted or not a dealer is a representative of Toyota and has processes they must follow. Again about lifting it before having vibration fixed-I figured I could just shim the vibrations out as everyone else had done. I also understand a dealer can refuse service, just as any store can. Toyota also said they install lift kits on some of there vehicles and have no restrictions on doing so. This dealer is just upset that I bought my truck out of town...IMO.

I tried to buy my truck there but was unable to make a deal or get the 2011 I wanted. I was told by this dealer and his salespeople that 2011's are not available yet. I went home and called a dealer who had 2 2011's and one happened to be the EXACT model and color I was looking for. So I went and bought it, they gave me exactly what I wanted for my trade and sold me the truck for 26,900 that is 1100.00 less than the previous dealer wanted for a 2010.

I love the truck and I think I'm going to just buy a 1 piece drive line. seems to be the best fix I've found. I appreciate the dealer fixing most of the vibration, and had they just done this in the first place I would of never had an issue with them.

They claim they never worked on it, but yet the drive line vibration has obviously been fixed, well most of the vibration is gone anyways!

Thanks everyone for the honest comments and criticisms...lol

13. Sep 26, 2010 at 5:01 AM
    2011TacoSport4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Clyde
    Offutt AFB, Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    If the vibrations persist I am going to throw my stock struts on the front and take it back to Toyota for a proper fix. Looks like I'll be keeping my stock wheels with stock tires just for this reason.:cool:

14. Sep 26, 2010 at 5:17 AM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    Kinda, while a private business they entered into a franchise agreement with toyota, therefore toyota corp has alot of control over their business practices and policies.

15. Sep 26, 2010 at 6:15 AM
    MurphMan

MurphMan Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    * AFE Stage 2 XP CAI System * Westin Platinum Series Black Step Bars * TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau * Dee Zee Heavyweight Truck Bed Mat * WeatherTech Extreme-Duty Floor Liners * WeatherTech In-Channel Window Visors * Sony Xplod CDX-GT81UW Receiver * Sony Xplod 2-way speakers * Boss Audio BASS600 Amplified Subwoofer * Billet Grille Mod
    A lot of bad advice in this thread. Bottom line, you modded the suspension then complained about a vibration. If you were in the shop manager's shoes wouldn't you think the same? Be honest.

If Toyota corp really said the lift kit isn't an issue, get it in writing (email), show it to the shop manager, and request a Toyota reg rep to do an inspection. If you really are that married to this dealer, then work with them, stop ranting and threatening. You're only burning a bridge here.

Which makes me wonder what the dealership would have to say if they were participating in this thread. This whole thing doesn't add up. They get reimbursed for warranty repairs so where you bought it doesn't matter. Also, more important, its good business for the dealer to take care of you even if you didn't buy the truck there because some day you'll need another. Not saying you're not telling us the real story, just wondering what details are being left out. IOW - the otherside to this story. Just not adding up.

Finally, if this dealer really is the pisspot you make them out to be, then they'll be out of business soon. I would be driving the 25 miles to the other place as I only do business with a place that wants my business. Maybe thats just me and my old-fashioned thinking, but if a biz pisses me off, I'll quietly go elsewhere and never recommend that place again.

I hope it all works out for you and the problem gets fixed. My best.

16. Sep 26, 2010 at 6:52 AM
    2011TacoSport4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Clyde
    Offutt AFB, Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Why would I keep the business name out of this thread, if all I wanted to do is bash them? I'm merely confused as to why they refused to even LOOK at my vehicle? If I were them and a customer had a complaint I would gladly address the complaint and decide if it is customer's fault or a real issue.

Regardless, the truck was worked on while this dealer had it. They actually fixed most of the issue, but are telling me they did nothing.

I am going to another dealer for sure! I am not trying to bash this particular dealer, just can't figure out why they had such an issue. I understand I lifted the truck, as I have every truck I've ever owned. This lift is really like 2.5 inches and the truck drives better than stock and has no issues other than the persistent vibration.

Toyota seems to be a little upset with the situation, they told me that any Manufacturer warranty issue must go through them before being denied. Toyota also said the lift kit does NOT affect warranty, only voids the replaced parts.

This is straight from the manufacturer of my vehicle, who states the issue must be addressed. And that a dealer must follow the contract they signed with the Manufacturer at any time.

Just so everyone knows (who has not read this thread) I am willing to take responsibility for an issue caused by the lift kit, and fully understand why any problem with it would be my fault.

17. Sep 26, 2010 at 9:28 AM
    MurphMan

MurphMan Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    * AFE Stage 2 XP CAI System * Westin Platinum Series Black Step Bars * TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau * Dee Zee Heavyweight Truck Bed Mat * WeatherTech Extreme-Duty Floor Liners * WeatherTech In-Channel Window Visors * Sony Xplod CDX-GT81UW Receiver * Sony Xplod 2-way speakers * Boss Audio BASS600 Amplified Subwoofer * Billet Grille Mod
    Clyde, re-read my post - no mention of bashing was made. Just some sage comments for you to ponder. You have a good stance on where you are with responsibility, just need to rethink on how to approach them if you really want to work with them. Lawyering up or waving the moss act under their noses will only make them more defensive. Then its much harder to negotiate.

18. Sep 26, 2010 at 12:00 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    If a businiess is deliberately being uncooperative, the legal route quite often works better. Lawyering up usually gets instant action, whereby the previously powerless consumer, now has the power. Pushovers tend to be nice people, they know this. Dealers know they can push people around. As for making a public spectacle, that rarely accomplishes anything......

19. Sep 26, 2010 at 1:16 PM
    nagelg

nagelg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport
    I'm not suggesting you do this, but an old employee of mine had an issue almost exactly like this one. His solution was, with his buddy and his truck, to park their trucks on the street in front of the dealership's showroom. They had magnetic signs on both sides of their trucks saying "See me before blah, blah, visible from the showroom and the street which fed the dealership's customer parking lot. The sales people inside went absolutely nuts. Within a few hours the owner came and granted them a pow-wow. Things were ironed out to everyone's satisfaction. Turned out the service manager was a hard-nosed jerk who had a reputation for this sort of thing. I'm not sure what the legal aspects were for what they did, it appears the owner didn't want to travel that road, but wanted earn the loyalty of another customer ...good luck

20. Sep 26, 2010 at 5:51 PM
    2011TacoSport4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Clyde
    Offutt AFB, Nebraska
    Vehicle:

I'm not willing to have this dealer work on my truck, for obvious reasons:)

My Brother in law is an attorney and I was just asking his advice, I have no plans on taking legal action.

My truck was taken in to this dealer with about 700 miles on it, I was complaining about the vibration. The dealer told me to give the truck time to break in, and they would then address the issue. In the mean time a buddy of mine told me he had the same vibration, he lifted his truck 3" and added a 3 degree shim and no more vibration. So I figured I could save a trip to the dealer by fixing it while lifting the truck, didn't happen. I noticed my drive line was not straight and with the driveline removed I have no vibration.

Products Discussed in

To Top