1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealer refuses to work on my Taco!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 2011TacoSport4x4, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Sep 26, 2010 at 6:56 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    This was your 1st clue to the incompetence and/or ignorance of this dealership service dept.

Good luck on your truck. Toyota builds a nice truck...too bad some of their dealers are rude...arrogant...and just plain w/o customer service.

2. Sep 27, 2010 at 10:04 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    I think that's a critical point right there: the dealer's obligation is to the Toyota, not you.

3. Sep 27, 2010 at 10:36 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    You don't see it? They repair (and warrant, I hope) their own work...but don't want to accept the liability of someone else's half-ass POS attempts. It's obvious to someone willing to see.

Look, there's plenty of reasons to bash dealers. But sometimes there has to be common sense and reason. Just try to look at it from their perspective as a business and consider how many d*ck-wads come in complaining about shit they broke expecting freebie fixes.

Having read some on it (since I got vibes of my own) I happen to know troubleshooting drive-line vibes is one of the hardest things to do even when everything's optimally set up. So sorry to you OP, but I can't share in the many sympathies you have gathered here. If I even looked out at a truck draggin'-ass from a 2.5" lift in the front only and someone complaining about vibe's it would be all I could do to keep from calling the shop over and having a good laugh..."and he wants US to do WHAT now? for FREEEE???".

I'm not saying yours is half assed. It could be by the book perfect... worthy of a show-case at the local high-school vo-tech even. But it is half-done and apparently the dealer doesn't want to touch it: it's like someone said earlier: as soon as he looks at it, it's his. Maybe he did; you keep saying it's like 90% better now...making me wonder why you also say he never 'even looked at it'. But he ain't owning up to it (makes me wonder what he saw when he looked under there, maybe he doesn't want the liability.)

Maybe the thing he should do is take it, then write you up a bill for $2-3000 to return it to full stock before he gets into the warranty drive-line troubleshooting. I think he'd be within his rights to do so, and even Toyota couldn't force him not to since it's his ass on the line. You, of course, have the option to refuse the work.

Hey, don't take this the wrong way: I just think there has to be a little common sense with the dealer bashing. Like I said, there's plenty of reason to do it, just let's find the right ones.

4. Sep 27, 2010 at 12:26 PM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    You lifted it anf got a vibration, it's not 100% stock so yeah the dealer is not going to cover it because you voided your "suspension warranty". What kind of lift did you do in the front?

Beefed taco sells a cb drop kit that kills the vibes. I have one i just got in the mail today but turns out i didn't need it after my lift. PM me if u want it

5. Sep 27, 2010 at 3:02 PM
    MurphMan

MurphMan Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    * AFE Stage 2 XP CAI System * Westin Platinum Series Black Step Bars * TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau * Dee Zee Heavyweight Truck Bed Mat * WeatherTech Extreme-Duty Floor Liners * WeatherTech In-Channel Window Visors * Sony Xplod CDX-GT81UW Receiver * Sony Xplod 2-way speakers * Boss Audio BASS600 Amplified Subwoofer * Billet Grille Mod
    Good choice. Its not worth the aggravation, nor the risk to your ride.

6. Sep 27, 2010 at 4:00 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Reading through this thread is crazy... People talking about getting the vibe after the lift and dealer not willing to work on a modded truck. Meanwhile the OP clearly stated (several times in fact) that the vibe was occurring (AND documented by the dealer) prior to the lift. The OP also states the dealer refused to even LOOK at the truck and that he won't allow it in his shop.

Modded or not, what kind of dealing won't LOOK at a vehicle and charge you some sort of inspection/diagnostic fee? I mean really, even if he doesn't actually fix anything it's free money for looking into the problem. How hard is this to understand? Any time I want a dealer to "investigate" a problem for me, it's a $100+ fee. Unless it's TSB or warranty related. But they have to LOOK at it before determining that.

I'm lifted 3", have over size tires and the service manager knows this. He's asked me about it, we've talked, he got my from diff replaced under warranty when it started leaking oil. So it's a bunch of bullshit that the OP's dealer wouldn't even let the truck in his shop and look at.

Personally, I would go to another dealer and never deal with him again. But after doing that I would call the BBB to complain, call Toyota Corporate to complain (about the person in particular you dealt with), and sit down with the owner to talk about. Regardless of if they make it right or not maybe that asshole gets fired or demoted and other people don't have to deal with him.

7. Sep 27, 2010 at 4:28 PM
    2011TacoSport4x4

2011TacoSport4x4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clyde
    Offutt AFB, Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport DC 4x4 OME 3" lift
    OME 3" lift, Flowmaster exhaust, K&N Intake, bestop, ARB Locker, 4:56 gears, ARB Deluxe bumper, Warn 8000lb winch, Synthetic line, Rock sliders, exhaust relocation done, All Pro standard 3" leaf packs, Timbren Bump stops, Extended brake lines, Pioneer dual din DVD, Pioneer door speakers, Ultra Gauge, BAMF Lower LCA Skids.
    I took the truck in and asked them to look at the vibration before the lift, the dealer said to give it some time for everything to settle? Its a new truck with a vibration, why would I need to wait and see if the vib goes away? Weird in my opinion. I decided to do the lift anyways thinking I could just shim or cb drop the vibration out. I installed a cb drop and the vib got WAY worse! I tried everything over the last 2 days.

I installed the rear lift yesterday and shims, the vib is minor now.

I'm getting a 1 piece drive line next week! Went to have my drive line checked today, A-1 Drive services told me today that my Drive line is bent! (I will be paying out of pocket for an obvious manufacturers defect! A-1 is obviously a great place, with great COMMON sense, took them all of 1 minute to see the shaft was bad!

I guess lifting my truck bent the rear drive shaft...Yeah right!:cool:

8. Sep 27, 2010 at 4:35 PM
    2011TacoSport4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Clyde
    Offutt AFB, Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    OME 3" lift, Flowmaster exhaust, K&N Intake, bestop, ARB Locker, 4:56 gears, ARB Deluxe bumper, Warn 8000lb winch, Synthetic line, Rock sliders, exhaust relocation done, All Pro standard 3" leaf packs, Timbren Bump stops, Extended brake lines, Pioneer dual din DVD, Pioneer door speakers, Ultra Gauge, BAMF Lower LCA Skids.
    I have plenty of common sense, I didn't want anything for free. I simply wanted to have the truck looked at, I never once said I would not be willing to pay if need be. I stated several times in this thread that I would gladly take responsibility for anything I caused. I am in the Air Force and don't ask for anything free, I give enough and ask for little! I only wanted my truck looked at.

Thank God I paid on my own to have a defective Toyota drive line replaced. Yes I will be keeping my documentation from A-1 drive services stating the drive line was bad! Bad carrier bearing and a bent shaft, I will be taking the drive line to Toyota next week. I'm interested to see what they have to say.

9. Sep 27, 2010 at 4:36 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    This is the part that pisses me off about this whole thing. Would it really have killed the dealer to take the same 1 minute to look at it, tell you the problem, and then go from there? No, it wouldn't have. Instead he had to be a dick and refuse to do anything for you over something that Toyota should have covered for free. Something obviously not caused by your lift.

10. Sep 27, 2010 at 4:54 PM
    2011TacoSport4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Clyde
    Offutt AFB, Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I understand some dealers look at lifts as a huge problem, but that doesn't mean you send the customer away without even addressing a possible issue. Toyota Corporate was even in disbelief that the dealer would just send me away like they did.

Well all in all this is going to cost me $250.00, Guess its better than just dealing with it!

11. Sep 27, 2010 at 5:04 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    While you're at it, see if Toyota Corp will reimburse you. :D I would. I mean, you couldn't get their guy to even look at it, let alone fix it. You were forced to go elsewhere to get someone to fix it.

But that's me, and I'm an ass. I've worked retail, customer service, dealt with similar dealers, and I know it doesn't have to be like that. I work in a hospital, and I can't be a dick every time a doctor does something stupid and wants me to "fix it now." I'd be out of a job.

12. Sep 27, 2010 at 5:05 PM
    2011TacoSport4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Clyde
    Offutt AFB, Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    My brother in law sent me this, he said that the 2010's had a voluntary recall for drive shaft failures! He is an attorney and said the dealer I sent my truck to is really ignorant for not checking out my truck. He also told me that Toyota has know that their Tacoma 4x4's have drive shaft issue's and that their are actual lawsuits regarding the dana supplied shafts.

Just FYI

http://www.thecarconnection.com/mar...coma-4wd-trucks-recalled-for-driveshaft-issue

13. Sep 27, 2010 at 5:06 PM
    silver07taco

silver07taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    COIL
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    13 Tundra RCSB 5.7 4x4,07 Tacoma AC 4.0 4x4
    2013 Tundra RCSB 5.7 4x4, 2007 Tacoma AC 4.0 4x4
    I wont even try to take my truck to the dealer anymore.

14. Sep 27, 2010 at 5:11 PM
    2011TacoSport4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Clyde
    Offutt AFB, Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    I am also going to just take my truck to a local mechanic for any minor issues, anything major and I'll have to take it to toyota.

15. Sep 27, 2010 at 5:13 PM
    2011TacoSport4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Clyde
    Offutt AFB, Nebraska
    Vehicle:

Where are you in Maryland? I'm in southern Md.

16. Sep 27, 2010 at 5:15 PM
    silver07taco

Member:
    First Name:
    COIL
    Maryland
    Vehicle:

I can handle almost anything mechanical, Im lost when its get down to the computer.

See your another MD guy, Im in calvert county.

17. Sep 27, 2010 at 5:15 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Post the name of the dealer you're having problems with. Or go to ripoffreport.com and file a complaint. Also hit up the BBB. Nothing screams louder than bad publicity.

18. Sep 27, 2010 at 5:16 PM
    silver07taco

Member:
    First Name:
    COIL
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Dunkirk.

19. Sep 27, 2010 at 5:20 PM
    Taco4x4NC

Taco4x4NC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DC/LB "Pytrite Mica/Katzkin leather
    3m clear bra or Venture, stant locking gas cap, Shield, front windows tinted, weathertechs, ARE "Z" topper. Sockmonkey decal, Billy 5100's x 4 corners, Eibach coils, Toytec 1.5 AAL. Michelin 265/75/16 MS2's, Grillcraft MX series/TOYOTA badging. FJ/SE TRD Anthracite gray wheels. Katzkin leather/heated seats.
    Simple fix.....go to another dealer that will work on your truck. I would never go back to a dealer who refused me service. EVER...Listen, if Toyota corporate tells him he will work on your truck and you let that same dealer do the work.....simply put...your probably going to get screwed. They are not going to be happy about being told to do the work. Think about it.

No easy way to say it, find another dealer that you can trust.

GL

Taco4x4nc

20. Sep 27, 2010 at 5:21 PM
    IamTacO

IamTacO red balls got me!

Member:
    First Name:
    adam
    QC az
    Vehicle:
    01 Prerunner SR5 TRD-Offroad
    4x2 Prerunner. Hankook Dynapro ATM rf10 265-65-16, e-locker FTW! Morimoto d2s bi-xenon HID projectors, Philips 85122+ 4300K, Cobra 75 w/ 3' firefly, Kenwood KDC-MP342U w/ SIRIUS, Line-x bed liner, 4' coretrax(black)
    they can't void your warranty, they can only deny a claim. take it to another dealership. had a few issues with my wrx like this. most dealers didn't care, but a few did. did you pay for any extended warranty? get that back asap

Products Discussed in

To Top