1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealer scuffed rims...am I being too picky?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by matts11, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Sep 11, 2011 at 2:25 PM
    RideFast

RideFast on the flats.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    I would make them fix the rims. Screwdrivers arnt wheel weight removers!
    Ive had tires put on a few trucks and asked the installer to be careful and the job was done with no hichups.

2. Sep 11, 2011 at 2:30 PM
    iliketurtles

iliketurtles Well-Known Member

Member:
    I say you make them either give you new rims or some off of a demo like you said. You pay them to fix your truck, not beat the crap out of it. People say it's a truck and doesn't matter, but if you wanted a truck with a thousand dents and scratches, you'd have bought a beater and not a $20-$30k truck

3. Sep 11, 2011 at 3:09 PM
    matts11

matts11 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Thanks for all of the replies. Like others have said, I have had wheels balanced/tires replaced on other vehicles with no hiccups like this. I had the same wheels on my 4Runner (not physically the same, but they were the same design) and went through three sets of tires and never had this happen when weights were removed....granted I asked the tech to be careful each time. Once I even had the tire shop do a walk around with me (at their request) so they could confirm no chips/scratches were already on the rim before replacing the tires. The bottom line in my eyes is that even if the dealer was not at fault Toyota sold me a truck with tires out of balance, and as a result I know have chips on my rims. You buy a new truck so that it is perfect. If they can't remedy the problem that exists from new without damaging the vehicle they should replace the damaged parts--and that is exactly what I am going to ask them to do.

4. Sep 11, 2011 at 3:18 PM
    JasoTaco

JasoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
    I would take them back. If they give you any problems ask If it would be ok if you went and scuffed the wheels on their vehicles. At the very least some free oil changes or services.

5. Sep 11, 2011 at 7:34 PM
    Night

Night Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC MagGrey
    Banks Monster Exhaust, aFe ProGuard 7, 3M Film, UnderCoating, alpine 920 headunit, alpine 6.5 components, 20% tint all around, JL Stealthbox, PDX-V9 Amp, Avid Lightbar, Avid Sliders, Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau, TRD S/C
    Don't worry to much, I got sanding marks all over my door from when the dealer tried to fix the gash they made. I gave up after the 4th time to the body shop.

6. Sep 11, 2011 at 7:45 PM
    Ivan

Ivan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ivan
    Western Mass
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, 4x4 + SR5
    BOOM! Thats a good plan

7. Sep 11, 2011 at 9:06 PM
    Fatback17

Fatback17 Masshole

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    South of Boston, Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro MGM
    If it were mine i'd be pissed. Problem is they scratched through the clear on the wheel which will now allow road salt and other debris to get under it which certainly will corrode the aluminum underneath. Your truck is brand new have them replaced and don't take no for an answer! A year from now when the clear is all peeling and the aluminum is all flaky there will be no way to prove who scratched them. Just my .02

8. Sep 11, 2011 at 9:16 PM
    Slodgetto

Slodgetto Über Posre

Member:
    First Name:
    Silas
    I don't think you're being to picky.

I work at Discount Tire and we use these to remove/install weights:
    [​IMG]
    A screwdriver or anything not intended for this is simply not the right tool and will damage the wheel. (As you have found out.)

Sometimes it is very hard not to damage certain wheels along the lip when a weight has been on the wheel for a while and is starting to corode, but damage below the lip, like I see in your pictures, is inexcusable.

9. Sep 12, 2011 at 2:01 AM
    808hiker

808hiker Taco addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Big Island, Hawaii
    They should have been more careful, especially since you asked them before they did the job. I'd take it back too and see what they will do for ya.

10. Sep 12, 2011 at 6:08 AM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    Bingo.

Let us know how it goes!

Fink

11. Sep 12, 2011 at 6:23 AM
    mcdowell

mcdowell My name is Mudd

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    mobile al
    Vehicle:
    2011 prerunner SR5
    2in Toytec leveling kit TSB 4 leafpack 130w KC driving lights Wsetin 3 tab lightbar Black headlights Trex eyelids TRD sport wheels Firestone MT Hood protector Vent visors Tube stepbars Colormatch grille
    I thought they put them on the inside of the wheel. Just checked my 2011 and they are on the outside. SHIT

12. Sep 12, 2011 at 6:26 AM
    NicNac22

NicNac22 D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    95 V6 4x4 ex cab SR5 5sp PICKUP!!!
    fun stuff coming soon! New battery, radiator and CV joints and axles. Added some Rancho RS5000 shocks.
    I would have freaked out on them! However when i get my new rims im deff taking pics so if that happens i have proof it was them :D

Products Discussed in

To Top