1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealer Undercoating?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TrailMoose, Jul 27, 2010.

?

Is the dealer undercoating worth it?

Poll closed Aug 26, 2010.
  1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    30.4%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    69.6%
  1. Jul 27, 2010 at 11:31 PM
    TrailMoose

TrailMoose [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Eugene, OR
    The dealers all seem to offer an undercoating.
    Is it worth it for a new Tacoma?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Jul 28, 2010 at 12:33 AM
    DarrellH3

DarrellH3 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner TRD Sport LB
    Don't do it. It is worth nothing. They just spray the stuff where they can easily reach. It is just a money maker for the dealership.

3. Jul 28, 2010 at 12:42 AM
    808TRDTaco10

808TRDTaco10 Black Sand Mirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Big Island--->Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    10 AC TRD OR 4x4 BSP; 08 Reg Cab 5 spd 4x4
    TRD Off Road 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac Load Range C | Toytec Ultimate Lift with Emu Dakar Leaf Packs | 3* Axle Shims, CB Drop, Sway Bar Relocates | AVS Vent Visors, AVS Bugshield | Scangauge II | Smoked Eagle Eyes Ebay LED Tails | Wet Okole Seat Covers | Weather Tech Floor Liners | Pop n Lock | OEM Bed Mat | Truxedo Lo Pro QT Tonneau Cover | TRD Cat Back Exhaust | Aftermarket Alarm System | Pro Coat "Electronic Rustproofing"
    Depends how much they are charging, what material they are using to undercoat, etc.

If it's a good dealership I'd go for it, considering the price is fair and they actually do a good job. It may not make a world of a difference, but it would give me peace of mind.

4. Jul 28, 2010 at 6:44 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    I voted YES get it!!

I totally disagree if your in a salt belt state. Undercoating either by the dealer or an outside contractor is totally worth it to stop rust. Look how many people post about their rust problems...but they never undercoated? I learned the hard way...

Resale value is greatly increased if you had your vehicle undercoated in the road salt states to a private buyer and the local dealers here and sell the truck with no rust on the frame...like mine is right now. I will be asking a premium for mine when I resell to a private buyer because of this...if not you get someone elses problem or will have problems down the road..LOL

5. Jul 28, 2010 at 7:38 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    I can't count how many cars/trucks I've seen with undercoating peeling off and rust underneath. For it to be a benefit preventing rust it has to be applied to a pristine clean surface...something the dealer doesn't get to see. The only thing it's good for, IMO, is sound deadening for road noise.

Frames rust...surface rust is cosmetic and not a problem, deeper pitting is. Just keep an eye for those places and correct it then and there. Even considering the problems they had on the 1st gens, I don't know why I shouldn't expect 15+ years before pitting or significant rusting shows to be a problem on my truck. If I even have the truck then.

Could be wrong, but I can't help but think I'm seeing everyone turning into fretful worry warts because of those 1st gen issues.

6. Jul 28, 2010 at 8:05 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    It's just easier to prevent then trying to deal with it later. It's really important on the type though. Some undercoatings are well, your better off without. If water can get behind it it's going to be trouble. The sound deadening ones are probably not a good idea. You want rust proofing with a warranty, then you have a recourse above and beyond the rust threw default. Only if the truck is new though. If not new well you got to get rid of the surface rust first or you are asking for trouble. This is what people do, they buy a new auto then in a year freak out at the amount of rust and then get it undercoated. Think they clean that rust off first? Not a hope. You'll never see it for a few years. They don't care. Not saying the dealer but general undercoatings.

Speaking of which I was looking at a fairly new F350 superduty parked near by this morning. Think you guys have rust problems? This truck has really no paint on the frame anymore. It's solid surface rust. I'm not sure the year but it can't be very old. The body is in perfect shape. Rear axle bushing is leaking though. There is a Chevy parked on the other side of me that is pretty much the same. It still has a slight bit of paint on the frame though.

Me I did it myself., my way. No rust yet.

7. Jul 28, 2010 at 9:06 AM
    Gregman

Gregman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Freddy Beach, NB
    Vehicle:
    05 DC LB 4x4 SR5

There are several types of undercoatings, some are a rubbery hard layer that traps and hides moisture under it wherever it can get in and then there are the oily types that are more messy, but can be cleaned off. The oily types don't last as long but are far better at actually protecting the steel, they just need to be reapplied every year or so and sometimes more frequent on areas that see a lot more exposure like the frame beside the rear wheels or the rear axle and springs and inside the rear bumper. I don't like the rubbery hard type undercoatings for the reason you mentioned but am a big fan of the oily undercoatings, they really work.

8. Jul 28, 2010 at 9:09 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    I wrote this before somewhere else but I will repeat again.
    IMHO Applying undercoating with out first painting the truck is pointless.
    Problem is that Toyota forget to apply good amount of paint. So undercoating just covers rust, this way psychologically people can feel better :D. Truck needs primer with rust inhibitors first. Then paint, then undercoating can be applied. :)

9. Jul 28, 2010 at 9:10 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    Ziebart.com Is who I used, they do all the local City Fire Departments. Good stuff and they've been around for years..........

10. Jul 28, 2010 at 9:47 AM
    kramer2k

kramer2k Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner TRD OR
    Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Putty becomes a salesman and takes Jerry for a ride on all sorts of fees and upgrades since Elaine just dumped him.

Undercoating was one of those "upgrades." LOL

Ripoff IMO, but I live in Florida, so what do I know.

11. Jul 28, 2010 at 9:58 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    There is a Ford 350 SuperDuty parked close that soon will be to be rust bucket. Want to buy it?

Drive across the country in the dead of winter then re-examine your statement. Really it's the stuff they use on the roads that is the problem. Or have you actually looked carefully under your truck ?

12. Jul 28, 2010 at 10:05 AM
    jjw1

jjw1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Citrus County Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 Super White DCSB TRD OR PreRunner
    Weather Tech Floor Liners, Truxedo Bed Cover, OEM Silver Step Bars, Debadged, Colormatched Satoshi, Wet Okoles, OEM Roof Rack, Bed Mat, Locking Gas Cap, and removed Mud Flaps
    i live in Florida too n have no rust!!! kramer2k im backin u up!!! btw i have an 06 so thats 2 years older!!! n no rust at all!!!

13. Jul 28, 2010 at 10:08 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    What things don't rust in Florida? Live surrounded by the ocean and have monsoon rains. Got to be rust there somewhere if it's just factory underneath.

14. Jul 28, 2010 at 10:12 AM
    jjw1

jjw1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Citrus County Florida
    Vehicle:
    Weather Tech Floor Liners, Truxedo Bed Cover, OEM Silver Step Bars, Debadged, Colormatched Satoshi, Wet Okoles, OEM Roof Rack, Bed Mat, Locking Gas Cap, and removed Mud Flaps
    um no!!! florida isnt all beaches btw...i live out in the woods!!! 30 miles from ocean so no!!! florida isnt all palm trees n sandy white beaches!!! no rust o n my truck at all...i have already done the inspection!!!

15. Jul 28, 2010 at 10:25 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    30 miles and no salt in the air? Can you smell the ocean where you live? Well here things rust but farther north they don't. Your still in that zone where they have to hose down jet engines cause of salt in the air. Don't ever leave Florida in your truck.

16. Jul 28, 2010 at 12:09 PM
    kramer2k

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner TRD OR
    What are you talking about? That was the point of my statement. I don't have to contend with the salt in the roads -- hence my Florida statement. ;)

I have, in fact, looked carefully under my truck. Nothing to speak of. :cool:

17. Jul 28, 2010 at 12:19 PM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    You said Ripoff in my opinion, Maybe for you down in Florida but there is a need on this continent for it. If it's not the salt that will get us it's the Volvo or house in the wind that could get you down there. There are hazards that are unique to ones area. If the guy would have done something to the 350 when new he would not now have a problem. I got no rust on mine and I'm pretty sure mine is just as old. For me doing it was not a rip off. It was a PM.

18. Jul 28, 2010 at 12:37 PM
    kramer2k

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner TRD OR
    Keep in mind that I'm not necessarily debating the effectiveness of the treatment, merely the value of having the dealership apply this treatment.

The effectiveness is an entirely different ball of wax for another thread I suppose.

So I'll stick with my original opinion -- ripoff.

19. Jul 28, 2010 at 1:54 PM
    iSTIZO99

iSTIZO99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 DC/SB
    x2...dealers will push this stuff onto buyers because of its large profit margin. But if you can get a third party to do it at reasonable price and with better workmanship, I wouldn't say it's such a bad investment...even for Florida.

20. Jul 28, 2010 at 5:11 PM
    jjw1

jjw1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Citrus County Florida
    Vehicle:
    no i cant smell the salty air at all!!! like i said no rust but i do wash my truck occasionally cuz i like to keep it clean...our boat we have we only take it to the gulf its 2 years old n no rust...we hardly ever wash it unless its got water lines or dusty from sittin under the barn...tractors in the fields mean dust so thats bout the only time we wash the boat n we just got a cover to solve that problem...no rust on my trucks or my parents vehicles

To Top