1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealers Not Budging on MSRP

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BSP4x4, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Dec 14, 2009 at 3:44 PM
    braggman7

braggman7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    GA
    Vehicle:
    '23 Trail Edition

yeah... i got that exact truck 3 weeks ago. msrp on the sticker was right at 31... invoice is right around 29.

2. Dec 14, 2009 at 3:45 PM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    Heh, I got my '09 4x4 TRD OffRoad for 29k in January. About 2k under MSRP. Even got the dealer to throw in bed extender and alum skid plate.

3. Dec 14, 2009 at 4:08 PM
    briboki

briboki Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC SB TRD Off Road 4x4
    I see several variables.

#1. Timing. Has the truck been on the lot for a while? End of the month? End of the year? Incentives?

#2. Negotiating ability/effort. I emailed every dealer within 250 miles. I called them as well. I spent two weeks talking to several dealers a day. I forwarded email quotes from one dealer to another playing them against each other. I don't negotiate for a living like dealers do... so I put in a lot of effort.

#3. If you have a trade in, how much is it really worth? They can only give you so much for the trade in, and sell you the truck for so much below msrp or invoice. I sold my car private party to avoid the trade in "game".

4. Dec 14, 2009 at 4:50 PM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    I spit milk thru my nose.

Enlist a professional intermediary....do you have a Costco membership?
    Maybe your bank or credit union.
    Pre-arranged deals are everywhere.

5. Dec 14, 2009 at 4:55 PM
    btkicker

btkicker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 Reg Cab Manual
    I just got my reg cab 4x4 for under invoice. Just shop around. If an in-person sales guy says no deals, look to see if your dealer has a web salesman, look up the invoice on the web, I used http://www.carsdirect.com, you can even use costco.com, and make an offer...with a cut & paste.

6. Dec 14, 2009 at 5:13 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I had over $4000 peeled off the MSRP of my truck.

I did this by being well prepared and knowing what a fair-profit price was for the truck configured with exactly the features and accessories I wanted

AND

Already owning a paid off vehicle and being fully able to walk at any second.

I did walk out of two dealerships that thought they could call my "bluff".

You can get them to budge. Be patient, and don't be afraid to walk away.

7. Dec 14, 2009 at 5:24 PM
    Kahunadave

Kahunadave Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 DC PrernrTRD Sport
    K&N CAI-series 63, custom Billet Grille, Magnaflow exhaust, AR Tactic 17x8, Toyo A/T opencountry 265/70/17, Iridium plugs.
    I agree w/Braggman.. not only is it Supply/Demand but also size of Dealership and what they have in Stock. A smaller dealer may not have the "allocation" a high volume dealer does and therefore may not want to let a Taco go cheap that he thinks some other cust will pay full sticker for. Find a Dealer that has what you want and has many in stock. They don't make money while vehicles are sitting on the Lot!

8. Dec 14, 2009 at 5:40 PM
    jrdbrn

jrdbrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD Off Road
    I got my Taco for $22,500. Sticker was $26,700.

I shopped around, went online and was preapproved by Chase and Capital One, and went on the last day of the month. I told the dealer that I was approved for $22,500 and we talked. Only took 6 hours, but I walked out with my truck at the price I wanted.

So not all dealers are sticking to their prices. I lowered them $4,200 and got a "free" extended warranty. They wanted to finance it and lowered the interest to fit in the warranty. It was still lower than Chase, so it was pretty good.

9. Dec 14, 2009 at 6:30 PM
    grivera

grivera Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hanover, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC SR5 4x4, Desert Sand Mica
    Rear Suspension TSB, Bilstein 5100 on all 4 corners-fronts set at 1.75". BFG A/T's @ 265/75/16; Access LE Roll-up cover; Iron Cross Tube SS Steps; Fumoto valve; WeatherTech Liners; AFE Pro-Dry; front side windows tinted 20%; TW Decal!
    Here's an example of a below MSRP price (before negotiating )at Antwerpen Toyota on a Silver TRD Sport with Tow Package 4x4 DC (hopefully the link will work):

http://www.antwerpentoyota.com/new/toyota-tacoma-v6-2010-104332.html

10. Dec 14, 2009 at 6:34 PM
    98lowflyingtacoma

98lowflyingtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma Prerunner
    i would get online and work kbb to send an electornic quote to a dealer. That end works the fleet sales guys who can deal. Plus you can usally work out the entire new price before you ever go to the shop to actually do the deal... if you are serious with buying a new one... that is how you should go

11. Dec 14, 2009 at 6:39 PM
    RMAC757

RMAC757 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Crew Cab Sport Long Bed Mag Grey
    I got my truck, a 2010 Long bed Crew Cab TRD Sport for 20,500 plus my 1999 Tacoma ( green access trd with cap). They actually gave me a great deal.

12. Dec 14, 2009 at 6:50 PM
    Canadianboy

Canadianboy Taco love in East Van

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport S/B 4x4 Auto in Mag Grey
    Icon Stage 3, Goodyear Duratracs and KMC Addicts!
    Yeah, but there is a 'way' around that :D

13. Dec 14, 2009 at 7:22 PM
    4low2go

4low2go Well-Known Member

Member:
    Coatesville, PA
    Vehicle:
    10 RC 4x4 5sp MGM
    Curt hitch, OBX Shift
    The more options it the more they can deduct from MSRP. The base 4x4 RC plus HE value package (A/C and sliding rear window) and CF mats purchased about three weeks ago, came in at $21,500 OTD (6% sales tax, new tag, etc. incl). I only talked OTD price, to avoid any BS add in fees. Another dealer priced it exactly $20 less, but their truck was still on the car carrier in transit. A third dealer was MSRP plus, dropped them like a hot rock. I'm sure there are plenty of deals out there better than this, but I have seen most very reluctant to budge the closer you get to a base truck, or any 'in demand' import. This was an "internet sale". With those they seem to cut out a lot of their standard crap, knowing you will just go to the next dealer.

14. Dec 14, 2009 at 10:14 PM
    NAYo2002

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    That's a good point. The options themselves have MSRP priced way over the invoice, making it easier for them to budge a little. For example, they threw in the skid plate and bed extender. Why? Because it might cost me around $500 to add them, but it'd cost the dealer/Toyota way less.

15. Dec 14, 2009 at 10:46 PM
    threepeat

threepeat Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Albany, OR
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5 DC LB
    SnugTop Hi-Liner DynoLock Tailgate Lock Seatsavers for rear seat (dog!)
    Without real numbers and specs below invoice or below MSRP doesn't mean a lot. Tacoma's are one of the few selling at least in the NW. Nothing on the lots in Oregon.

16. Dec 14, 2009 at 11:49 PM
    doughboy

doughboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    norcal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    hid head lights, hid fog lights, always on fog lights, bed lights
    if your'e not the price haggling type and you are a costco member, you can use the costco program to buy the truck. price is approx $2000 off msrp, no haggling required.

17. Dec 15, 2009 at 4:12 AM
    Mark C.

Mark C. If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
    I went through my insurance company's buying service and a dealership in New Hampshire (about 165 miles away) emailed me right back with a price that was well below MSRP.....and about $3100 less than anything I could find in CT....so I drove up there on a Saturday....and with a little bargaining, got them to replace the steelies with factory alloys........for $100....and then.......just before I was leaving, the GM says, "Hey. I'm 2 vehicles short of me expectations for today. If you write that check for this amount ($200 less than the negotiated price), I will install the alloys when they come in and deliver the truck to your house." He then gave me two sets of keys and I left. 6 days later, when I come home from work, there is my truck sitting in my driveway. That's what I call service!!

18. Dec 15, 2009 at 4:48 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    I tried to buy a Toyota Rav once and they would not budge on window sticker. They stated they could sell all they received a full price with the demand at the time. But I bought my recent 09 Tacoma at 200 above cost in in Aug 08. But it was a tough deal. They tried to add "dealer fees, etc" on top of the 200 to make up for the profit loss, but I stood firm until they agreed to the 200 we all agreed on prior to sitting down. :cool:

19. Dec 15, 2009 at 10:39 AM
    NAYo2002

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    carsdirect.com. You'll get a price from a local dealer, and use it as leverage if necessary.

20. Dec 15, 2009 at 3:15 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Screw KBB, Screw Edmunds, screw quotes from local dealers, they all suck.

Just like in real life, if you want powerful market information, you have to pay for it. This is what successful businesses do, this is how life works. If you want REAL information that will help you negotiate the best price possible with a dealer you need these guys:

http://www.fightingchance.com/

They offer the ONLY information packet that will allow you to calculate within a couple hundred dollars what the vehicle cost the dealer to put on the lot. Invoice has nothing to do with it, invoice still has plenty of profit built in.

I used the FC info packet on my Tacoma and plan to use them for every car purchase from here on out. Worth every penny.

Products Discussed in

To Top