1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealership Tomorrow - Last Minute Newbie Questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MSB256, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Aug 21, 2011 at 6:08 PM
    MSB256

MSB256 [OP] Member

Member:
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    I'll try to keep this as short as I can but no promises. I'm going to the dealership tomorrow and looking for any tips from people who have purchased a Tacoma at the dealer.

I've gone from wanting an XSP to a TRD 4X4. They have a Silver 2010 with about 19,000 miles, leather, 4X4, backup camera for about $28,000 and some change. They have a Magnetic Gray 2011 without leather (I prefer leather) with 4X4 and back up camera for $33,000 and some change. The only thing I think I really like about the 2011 over 2010 is the Magnetic Gray seems a little more unique (see silver everywhere) and the 2011 grill is pretty sweet.

I've been told being a Costco member will get me the new 2011 for some amount over invoice. Dumb question - is invoice what they paid? I've always heard "at cost" but not sure if that means the same as invoice.

Any suggestions of what I can expect tomorrow? Will the 2010 come out substantially cheaper after discounts and such? Has anyone ever been successful getting them to "throw in" running boards or any other accessory? Bed cover?

I've also heard that a Certified Used Toyota gives you a 7 year / 100,000 mile warranty which is actually longer than the warranty on a new one. So wouldn't the 2010 purchase be the better deal?

Last but not least... Does the back seat sit kids comfortably? An adult? Wife is concerned about leg room as I'm coming from a 4Runner. Also, how useful is the power outlet in the bed? Truck has to be running I imagine?

2. Aug 21, 2011 at 7:58 PM
    floormatt

floormatt Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Jacksonville
    Vehicle:
    11 PreRunner DC Sport
    Bought mine new from Limbaugh Toyota in Birmingham. You should work your deal with the dealer.2500+ behind of msrp is probably a great deal!... Probably!

3. Aug 21, 2011 at 8:01 PM
    platinumb

platinumb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    denver
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR DC Supercharged
    supercharger, focal/jl audio sound system, trd cat back
    picked up my 2011 dbl cab short bed trd off road tx pro 4x4 for 31650 msrp was like 34775.00 i actually got a better deal than expected. i have bought a lot of cars from that dealer though. i would go new, for the small price difference. as for leather you could always have it added, it has to be aftermarket on the other truck as well since toyota does not build the taco with leather.

4. Aug 21, 2011 at 8:08 PM
    Coma2010

Coma2010 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD PreRunner Dbl Cab
    5% Tint that I just got a work order to change thanks to the Highway Patrol.....FML
    I bought new because the cost diff between my 10 and the 08 on the lot was only like 2k diff. Now I also bought mine this year. And yes the warranty is better used with it being certified.

Also I did use my Costco membership not sure what that got me off hand but I know the cost went down.

I made sure to not pay for the security system, window tint, paint covering on front of truck and window eching.

I have the double cab and have a 6, 7 and 12 year old and the back seat is just fine.

5. Aug 21, 2011 at 8:14 PM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    I have a certified pre-owned warranty but watch out with that its not as good as the original factory warranty. Apparently they set me up for a silver plan not the gold(whatever that means it was never explained to me at the dealership or told that there were different options for that matter). I had to go in for my compass/temp panel going out and it wasnt covered! but other than that they are real good about the service plan too. havent had to pay a dime for 3 services so far.

6. Aug 21, 2011 at 8:18 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Personally, I would not suggest you go to the dealership until you know all of the packages and their prices and get some internet quotes to see where everyone is at pricewise. Go in completely informed on what everything costs and have a price in your head that you want to pay and don't deviate from it. If you're low and they can't do the deal try another dealership.

7. Aug 21, 2011 at 8:38 PM
    cooktaco

cooktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    11 Dbl. cab TRD 4x4
    Weahertecs, Bed met, Snugtop, Avid sliders, TSB Springs, Bilstein 5100's @1.75,
    Do your research and KNOW what you want before you go in to buy. I have an 11 Dbl. Cab. TRD Off-Road, short bed, pyrite mica. Just got back from a 3k road trip with three teenage kids, two of them over 6' and they were just fine in the back.

I set aside an entire weekend to buy my truck. Searched internet inventories and located every dealer within 400 miles that had the exact model and color I wanted. Then I sent an e-mail to each of the internet sales departments requesting a quote. Sent out about 20 e-mails and got about ten real quotes back (lots of them will quote a wrong model or reply with some BS question).

I worked by phone to whittle down the original quotes, then walked in and purchased the truck I wanted in about 30 minutes at the dealership. MSRP on the truck was 32,894. Paid $30,225. Toyotas are selling themselves right now so you have to do a lot of work and still can't beat up the dealer like you could with other cars.

PS: You can do the same with an extended warranty. Quoted $1,800 for the 7 year 100k platinum warranty at the dealer. Got it for $900 when I showed them that I could purchase it on-line for that amount.

8. Aug 23, 2011 at 10:27 AM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    So where is the new truck?

To Top