1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealerships You Wouldn't Do Business With Again...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by FreeHeel, May 26, 2010.

1. May 27, 2010 at 5:24 AM
    pwrstrk02

pwrstrk02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    randy
    kansas city missouri
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4,dc,off road, black pearl
    ^^^^
    cause transfer cases come up missing all the time. that awesome. i bet that is where i can buy my kenuter valve ive heard about.

2. May 27, 2010 at 5:56 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    Don't forget your flux capacitor while you're there. ;)

3. May 27, 2010 at 6:05 AM
    Barnone

Barnone Guest

My wife went the to the local Ford dealer where I had bought several cars in the past and made a deal with 0% financing. Signed the papers and it was a done deal. The salesman called later and said all the 0% financing was gone but they could do 6%. She said no deal and we forgot it. A little later he called back and said they found some 0%. I told them to stuff it up you know where.

I did a USAA pricing deal and called the dealer with the best price. Asked what the dealer handing fee was and the jive taking salesman said $699.50. I said forget it. He said all the Toyota dealers charged that fee.

4. May 27, 2010 at 6:16 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    + buzzillion

Yeah, I pay for what is being represented that I'm interested in & after that it's all up to them to hold up their end of factory warranties, extended warranties, whatever service agreements came with vehicle, recalls & TSBs. If they do I might be back to buy more, that's up to them. If they scam somehow or not hold up their end then the only relationship will be with a lawyer. They need to sell shit a lot worse than I ever need to buy shit.

5. May 27, 2010 at 6:35 AM
    005Tacoma

005Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Thomasville, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma
    Warner Robins Toyota now Lowe Toyota in Warner Robins, GA. Took my truck in to have the first oil change done. Dropped the truck off around 930am and then my wife and I went south to Valdosta to see my folks. We(the wife and me) live in Macon. On our way home we stopped by the dealership to get my truck. Well they couldn't find it. They didn't know if they serviced it or not. After like 15 mins they managed to locate it. Good thing the first oil change was free because I was going to refuse to pay. Every since then I have been using a place called Express oil change to service my truck.

6. May 27, 2010 at 6:45 AM
    AlexanderD

AlexanderD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    whitby Ontario
    Vehicle:
    03' tacoma 4x4 trd step-side
    I have dealt with only 2 toyota dealers. the one i purchased my truck from (Toyota of Richmond hill Ontario) was great! they came down to what i thought was a reasonable price and a few months latter when the ADD actuator died they paid $550 for a new one (which i purchased from my local Whitby Toyota.) even though it was way out of warranty. the local one (Whitby toyota) has been nothing but a pain in my ass.
    first of all it took them 2 hours to diagnose the issue with the ADD. which should take no more then 30 min for a qualified tech that has it up on a hoist and charged me over $200. they tell me the ADD is bad and needs replacing. after i get the ADD and go to install it at home (which takes me a little under and hour on my back in the driveway in the winter) i noticed that when i took it off little to no oil came out of the diff.
    i should mention that i had not done too much driving in the mean time luckily.
    i called up the dealer and asked a couple questions about what they had done. at first they said they didn't even have the ADD off. but there was clear evidence that they did (ie. fresh sealer on the mating surfaces and mount bolts that were clean and seemed as though they had just been reinstalled.)
    i mentioned this and the service person put me on hold.. then came back and said that the ADD is high enough in the diff that no much oil will come out when removed. which is bull because when i got it all back together the drain bolt wouldn't come out so i just topped upp the gear oil and it too 3/4 of the amount stated capacity. i sure am glad nothing was damaged in there or that shit would have gotten really messy!
    also had to go back to that dealer to get a fusible link (a fuse) and they had to order it. not a big deal but they made me pay for it first. not really a big deal but it was only a few $ any motorcycle shop i have ever dealt with would just order the damn thin and get the coin for it when you come to get it.
    these things suck but they would not necessarily end my relationship with a business. what does is the way they talk to me whenever i go in there. i never feel welcome what so ever when i step in. i always feel like I'm inconveniencing them.

sorry for the long-a$$ story.
    thanks for reading if you got this far into it,
    AlexanderD

7. May 27, 2010 at 7:14 AM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    See that's good info right there. While I grew up in Auburn and my whole family lives there, I moved over to the 50 corridor. I'll remember now that Carson City has the same owner.

I'd stay away from Folsom Lake Toyota just because they promise discounts to make the sale but those discounts don't show up when you get to the finance guy 6 or 8 hours later!!!

I prefer to go to my local dealership since they have a good rep! In and out of there with my truck in about 90 minutes (from walking on the lot to driving away with the paperwork done). And since service departments are where dealerships make their money, they do a good job there too. My advice is find a service adviser you like and TRUST and stick with him/her only. He even got the service manager to meet Costco's price on the BFG AT KO's when I got them years ago. Although I don't see that happening again since they kinda lost money on that deal. But it's things those things they do to keep customers. They need to consider the long term, not just the short term single visit. That's where the OP's dealership failed. You need good business practice to do well over time.

8. May 27, 2010 at 10:19 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    I gotta agree with the OP: if I needed a reason NOT to do business with a used car dealer, the OP just gave me a damn good one: a nearly callous disregard for customer in after-sale support. You might be right that 90% of dealers wouldn't have diagnosed for free, but then what used car dealers wants to have that rep to live down to.

9. May 27, 2010 at 5:52 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    Just after buying my truck, the radio did the mystery on/off/etc.
    After researching here, found it was a common problem.
    Also found out about the weak springs.
    Contacted the service dept about both, set up a appointment.
    The service rep told me everything was ok, they could not duplicate the problems.
    I explained the radio was intermintent, so it may not be happing right now.
    then the service manager butts in about never hearing about either of these problems.
    so first i addressed about the rear springs, and asked him if he has never heard of this problem,
    why does toyota already have a TSB covering them the last four years???
    Then i got alittle loud about buying a 30k truck with a defective radio??
    they reluntantly ordered me a new radio, but said there was nothing the could do about the rear springs.
    they pull the radio to get the serial numbers, afterwards the center dash doesnt look smooth. i pull it to find they put in the bottom two screws before installing the radio, so only held in by the two top screws.
    So did the research, got the tsb, and contacted the dealers customer service manager. told him what happened, both about the springs and radio. he totally agreed with me but had to talk to the service dept first.
    he changed his tone when calling me back. we ended up going back and forth, mean while i called toyota corp about the problem and got a claim number. he finally calls me back saying they will do the tsb, but if have to put weight in the back to be inspected. I told him i was not going to waste my time or money to prove a problem that already has a TSB for it.
    They finally performed the tsb and it took forever to get the radio replaced.
    I have bought seven toyota's from four different dealers ( i was military )
    and have never had such a bad experience like i did at Northtown Toyota.
    After this i have never returned, with either of my toyota's i currently own.

10. May 27, 2010 at 5:59 PM
    mcgiiver

mcgiiver Well-Known Member

Member:
    Princeton, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2009 Access cab 4x4, 4 cyl, stick
    Aftermarket Driving Lights, Hidden Hitch, Removed rear headrests, Side protective moldings, vacuum gauge, Scan Gauge, Leer cap.
    Bought my '09 from them. After 5000 miles the clutch starts slipping, at 15000 miles, clutch is shot. They refuse to acknowledge a warranty problem and refuse to look at it unless I authorize $485 to $1000 for the repair, if they deem its my fault. Calls to Toyota headquarters, reveals that the headquarters sides with the dealer.

Took truck to different dealer, who fixed clutch under warranty. Guess who I'll be dealing with from now on?

11. May 27, 2010 at 6:02 PM
    tacomaintraining

tacomaintraining Well-Known Member

Member:
    To be honest, and not to be an a-hole, any dealership that has the name Toyota in it. I've had some bad experiences.

12. May 27, 2010 at 6:09 PM
    Redgrom

Redgrom http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    4x4 taco and 96 ford bronco
    ATO front skid (need more but icon's might fail if I hang anything else from my truck) All-Pro front bumper thanks to a good deal here and a pesky encounter with a rock or 20, total chaos uppers.
    Toyota of rancho santa margarita in orange county, Pretty good during the sale of the truck but will never have any work done by them again!
    Had to have the windshield and gaskets replaced twice for a tsb noise issue (both times they were far less than helpful). Had a exhaust manifold crack (they tried to tell me the ticking noise was normal) Had to show the service manager myself to get the manifold replaced. Somehow his tec missed it. Tried to get the rear spring TSB done and the flat out refused. I was told buy a few people they had the best service center around but I now visit a closer dealer who I am very happy with. Just goes to show word of mouth can be wrong from time to time.

13. May 28, 2010 at 9:31 PM
    Ranger2

Ranger2 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Florida (Oviedo)
    Vehicle:
    2009 PreRunner Pyrite Mica
    One Day. Just bought it 2 weeks ago with 5773 miles on it. Now have 41000+ miles and going strong.
    Tropical Ford, Orlando, FL.
    PUSHY!PUSHY! PUSHY! Even called me the next day at home. No prob there, but then the saleman tried to get me to return my Tacoma & buy his F150.

14. May 28, 2010 at 10:01 PM
    MxRacer190

MxRacer190 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 Indigo
    Stonecrest Toyota in Lithonia, GA. They might of actually turned me away from ever buying another Toyota. Customer service down the drain.

15. Dec 8, 2010 at 5:58 AM
    fjm0008

fjm0008 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Annapolis
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 LB White
    Sirius Starmate and ipod integration w/Pay15 Toy USA Spec, Hardwired Radar Detector and GPS, DRL Mod,Tailgate Anti Theft mod, Hi Lift Jack, CB Radio, Back up sensors, Front 30% tint, Leer 100R Cap, Weathertech, Under hood light and 12V outlet, D Rings, N-FAB Step Bars, Bed Mat, Yakima Bike Rack, OEM Roof Rack
    Darcars Toyota in Frederick, MD. They gave me 2000. cash back and 2.5 % financing, contract was signed and sealed and then called for several weeks threatening me because they screwed up the contract. Koons Toyota of Annapolis is awful also. I had to walk out three times because they changed the agreement and added 900. to it. Then I am ready to pick up the truck and the hitch is not on it and they wanted to give me an IOU and bring the truck back to have it installed. I walked out again, told them when the hitch is installed to give me a call. It was in the next morning.

16. Dec 8, 2010 at 8:01 AM
    dan0688

dan0688 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 sr5 6spd
    generally as a Tech I will not charge the customer for a diag if they buy the repair from us, If they choose to take my diag and go somewhere else with there truck i expect to be paid for my time, I think its fair. Although i think its unfair that you think a dealership charging for a service makes them a bad dealership. If you go to the doctor because your not feeling well will they look at you for free? I think not.. unfortunately nothing is free.

17. Dec 8, 2010 at 10:11 AM
    MMOCGuy

MMOCGuy Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Norm
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4wd
    Jimmy Vasser Toyota in Napa, California. I won't go into details but their service department was rude and the service tech didn't know what he was talking about. Also, they "Washed" the truck before delivering it back to me and, when I walked out to it, it looked like it had been through a monsoon !!! I'll never set foot in there again. After a letter directly to Mr. Toyoda in Japan, I received a call from the executive offices in S. California and, they set it up for me to take it to another dealership for diagnosis. The second dealer - Freeman Toyota, Santa Rosa, CA. (Who I had dealt with before) was excellent and they will get my business again in the future.

Norm.

Products Discussed in

To Top