1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Death Valley, California

Discussion in 'Travel' started by mountainwolfpup, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Feb 20, 2014 at 11:17 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup [OP] Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    Ever been? I am planning a trip there for a week next month, March. Hoping to hit some of the 4WD roads and camp "backcountry style". Any suggestions?

I already know that I want to drive the Lippincott Mine Road which looks awesome! ANd see the moving rocks at Racetrack Playa.

Anyway, it will be my 1st trip there and any advise would be much appreciated.

Looks like a spare gas can could be handy. And water, lots of water. What else?

2. Feb 22, 2014 at 10:19 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    A good, detailed map of the DV area, CB radio, tire patch kit, and the usual tools and spare parts.

3. Feb 23, 2014 at 9:23 PM
    mountainwolfpup

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    Thanks Tan. Got all that. Going to buy two 5gal gas cans also.

4. Mar 1, 2014 at 5:49 PM
    surfnmoto2

surfnmoto2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB 4x4 + 2016 TRD OR 4x4
    Snugtop caps for the dogs Camburg 2.5 Coilovers, Camburg Uni on 2013. King 2.5 Resis on 2016 Deaver custom expedition leaf pacs , BAMF sliders and other stuff.....
    What trails are you looking to fo? I'll be in D Valley March 12 to March ? Starting out with a camp up in Cottonwood Canyon for a night or two.

5. Mar 2, 2014 at 12:19 PM
    mountainwolfpup

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    Well, I'm heading down there from Portland Oregon (900 mile drive) on Saturday March 22nd. Plan to spend 5-6 days on the ground in DVNP and then head on to Las Vegas and then Arizona for a few days before heading home.

I have a 2-week "spring break", one of the perks of being a teacher. The weather is always wet and cold here so camping is an "experience", so I'm hoping for dryer and warmer conditions - sleep outside and stare at stars!

Anyway, I found this little gem of an info sheet about all the best DVNP backcountry trails. Click here

I optimistically plan to try every one of those. Check out the "Echo Canyon" trail. Wow, that looks fun.

Well, enjoy your trip and let me know any last minute tips when you return, should be right about the time I'll be heading out. Cheers!

6. Mar 2, 2014 at 6:48 PM
    surfnmoto2

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Snugtop caps for the dogs Camburg 2.5 Coilovers, Camburg Uni on 2013. King 2.5 Resis on 2016 Deaver custom expedition leaf pacs , BAMF sliders and other stuff.....
  7. Mar 2, 2014 at 8:19 PM
    mountainwolfpup

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    Very helpful links. Thanks.

8. Mar 4, 2014 at 7:40 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    ...i'm sure you're aware, ..but you'll be driving by a lot of pretty cool parks (yosemite, sequoia, etc...)... are you driving south through the central valley on the interstate (boring scenery), or are you going to cross the sierra and come down 395?... the latter has great scenery along the way, ...

also in case you're interested in an adventurous detour, right outside the town of big pine (north of death valley on 395), there's a road that goes up into the white mountains, ...and "supposedly" the oldest living tree in the world is up there somewhere, ...i drove up there once, and some of the alpine meadows (10,000 ft) are really erie, ...you see a lot of the old gnarly looking trees, and the landscape is quite strange... i didn't have much time to spend driving around up there, but would have if i did... it was paved roads to the extent i traveled, though the terrain, roadways, and lack of guardrails alongside cliffs made for tepid trekking ;)

9. Mar 9, 2014 at 9:28 PM
    surfnmoto2

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Echo Canyon is a fun and pretty easy run and it's not too far from Furnace Creek if you need to stock up or gas up. Chloride Cliffs is another mellow but fun ride with nice views of the valley floor. Titus Canyon is great for scenery, one of my favorites. You can check out Ryholite Ghost Town and then drop down into Titus for nice afternoon adventure.

To Top