1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Death Valley Off-Road Adventures

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Crom, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Feb 9, 2014 at 10:10 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R 4th MAW

Member:
    Republik of Kalifornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ 2013 FWC Finch
    Grillcraft, Demello Sliders, OME Front and Rear suspension
    Thank you for posting the great pics.

I think I see some Tibetan Prayer Flags in Geologists cabin opposite the window. Are they still there? I hung those across the main window years ago and in any subsequent trip report they were gone. Figured someone took them. I hope they are still there.

You saw the ringtail at Briggs. LUCKY! I know one lives at Stone and my friend saw one at Briggs in basically the same spot you caught it. They are so neat. I know the info is out there but keeping the crap out of those special places is important. Not talking only of rodent droppings either. Human crap is just that-CRAP.

Sadly yes trails are closed all the time on the premise of protecting lands. We are losing so many that were accessible not so long ago. I can't believe there are shuttles to Reds Meadow. I camped there years ago and hiked from there to Rainbow Falls, up to Devils Postpile, and back to Reds.

Please PM those of us in the know if you have questions about certain locations and how to get there if you have not already found it on the web via searching. There are treasures to be protected out there. Also watch Sierra Club and the like and their actions. Fight to keep places open.

2. Feb 9, 2014 at 11:02 PM
    License2Ill

License2Ill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Mendocino County, CA
    Vehicle:
    SC'd 04 TRD 4x4
    Icon Ext Trvl w/ 14"x700#, LR UCA, Yukon 4.88's, front Trutrac, Dakars w/ double D6XL, Nitro LC 60065 rears, Timbren bumpstops, Manual hubs, Demello Sliders, ARB w/ Warn 9.5xp & endcap mod, CBI rear w/ swingout/boxed frame & demello plates. Rear shock relocate, U-bolt flip. 5 speed swap; hopefully soon. :)
    No, thank you. Doubt I'd have explored that area if not from some info from you and the D.E.R.P. crew.
    Unfornately, no Tibetan flags.

Along the course, I traveled a-many-a-mile to see alot of things; a ring tail cat and a mountain sheep. Still need to see a Mt. Sheep and I'm set. :)

3. Feb 10, 2014 at 9:18 AM
    Crom

Crom [OP] Time is precious; use it wisely

Member:
    First Name:
    Mr. Sir
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Double Cab 4x4 Off Road
    A.R.E. MX Shell & Yakima Rack, Stubbs HD-SKO Rock Sliders, JBA UCA's & OME 885 Coils and nitrochargers, Dakar leaf packs, u-bolt flip, Flat BajaRack, Kenwood VHF/UHF Radio, Aux Battery, Solar Panels, L-Track everywhere, Goodyear Duratracs, Four-Leaf pack, Secured tailgate, 7-pin relocation, Inverter 400W all time, In-cab 110v outlets, Rear-seat 12v outlets., Steering shaft TSB, anytime fogs, DTRL toggle switch, aux turn signals, Diff Breather, ImMrYo mirror bracket, ABS Kill switch, (2) Kid Car Seats, and a Glock 23 with night sights.
    Ian, Great pics and awesome trip you had. I envy that much time you had spent in the area. Thanks for sharing the pics! I'm having to live vicariously these days!

4. Feb 10, 2014 at 2:34 PM
    2012tacolover

2012tacolover Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Norm
    CA/AL
    Vehicle:
    White PreRunner TRD Sport DCSB
    Tinted Windows, Black Nerf Bars, LED Dome & Map Lights, Snugtop Xtra-Vision, WeatherTech Digitalfit front and rear, trimmed Front Mud Flaps, BFG A/T KO's, Matt123 White Skid, Devil Horn Emblem Wet Okole front and rear seat covers! Future Stuff: Lift and new Wheels! :)
    amazing photos, makes me want to get back out there soon!

5. Feb 10, 2014 at 2:40 PM
    Fernando

Fernando Mud Slinger

Member:
    First Name:
    Fernando
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma DC 4x4
    Too many, See Build
  6. Feb 10, 2014 at 7:15 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R 4th MAW

Member:
    Republik of Kalifornia
    Vehicle:
    I think the ringtail is far more rare than the bighorn. I headed up to Briggs this past Thanksgiving. A small group was down at Stone after we arrived and they were treated to a nighttime visit from the ringtail. On our way out I did see my first bighorn. What an epic gift nature brought.

7. Feb 23, 2014 at 4:29 PM
    CVYota

CVYota Damaged Goods

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Crescenta Valley
    Vehicle:
    '11 4X4 DCLB SR5 2.5 gen
    Extended front 2.5 Icons at 2". LR UCAs Dakar Leaf Springs, rear King Smooth 2.5 w/res , Softopper, 285/75-16 Mickey Thompson Baja MT,16x8 SCS wheels 4.5 bs, Brute Force Rear bumper, 4x4 switch led, Diff Breather mod, weathertechs, Pelfrybuilt front bumper, IFS and mid skids, B.A.M.F rear diff armor, LCA armor, Light bar mount and Sliders, Homer grill, Andres Devil horns, LED light bar, gauge pod with temp and ecometer.
    Backpacked to Panamint city last week, got to see a Bighorn on the way down to Ballerrat.

Just got baack from Saline Valley today, went down the north pass and camped at willow creek, just past where the road had washed out. made our way to the salt lake and saw the old salt tramway that went over the mountain 100 years ago, cant imagine how hard it was to build that:
    [​IMG]

Headed back up to the south pass and stopped off at the lower warm springs for a dip (yes this guy was nude, waited for him to leave)

[​IMG]

Made it down the steps to the Dunes and camped there last night. amazing place!

8. Feb 24, 2014 at 10:17 AM
    TMW

TMW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma 4x4 SR5
    Light bar and bumper guard, 3/16 steel skid plates for engine, tranny and transfer box, OME 881 springs with 5100 shocks at mid clip. AAL in rear. Positraction rear diff.
    What was Panamint City like. Any pictures.

9. Feb 25, 2014 at 6:30 AM
    Crom

Member:
    First Name:
    Mr. Sir
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    A.R.E. MX Shell & Yakima Rack, Stubbs HD-SKO Rock Sliders, JBA UCA's & OME 885 Coils and nitrochargers, Dakar leaf packs, u-bolt flip, Flat BajaRack, Kenwood VHF/UHF Radio, Aux Battery, Solar Panels, L-Track everywhere, Goodyear Duratracs, Four-Leaf pack, Secured tailgate, 7-pin relocation, Inverter 400W all time, In-cab 110v outlets, Rear-seat 12v outlets., Steering shaft TSB, anytime fogs, DTRL toggle switch, aux turn signals, Diff Breather, ImMrYo mirror bracket, ABS Kill switch, (2) Kid Car Seats, and a Glock 23 with night sights.
    Awesome! Backpacking is the best! I once planned on backpacking to Manly peak but ran out of daylight.

10. Feb 25, 2014 at 7:03 AM
    CVYota

CVYota Damaged Goods

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Crescenta Valley
    Vehicle:
    '11 4X4 DCLB SR5 2.5 gen
    Extended front 2.5 Icons at 2". LR UCAs Dakar Leaf Springs, rear King Smooth 2.5 w/res , Softopper, 285/75-16 Mickey Thompson Baja MT,16x8 SCS wheels 4.5 bs, Brute Force Rear bumper, 4x4 switch led, Diff Breather mod, weathertechs, Pelfrybuilt front bumper, IFS and mid skids, B.A.M.F rear diff armor, LCA armor, Light bar mount and Sliders, Homer grill, Andres Devil horns, LED light bar, gauge pod with temp and ecometer.
    The trail up to Panamint is a difficult one, 7 miles and 3k elevation gain up a river bed, lots of bushwacking waterfall climbing and loose rocks. but the ghost town is one of the best. The last time the road washed out everything was just abandoned.

this is a pic from last year:
    [​IMG]

this is from this year, the trail up:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the cabin we stayed in:
    [​IMG]
    there are more pics in this thread:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/of...0991-weird-cool-stuff-you-found-woods-17.html

11. Feb 26, 2014 at 10:05 AM
    TMW

TMW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma 4x4 SR5
    Light bar and bumper guard, 3/16 steel skid plates for engine, tranny and transfer box, OME 881 springs with 5100 shocks at mid clip. AAL in rear. Positraction rear diff.
    Thanks, I wondered what it look like today.

12. Mar 2, 2014 at 8:00 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, stock gears, stock-size tires, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, CB
    Isn't there a trail leading to Panamint from the opposite direction ?

13. Mar 2, 2014 at 9:03 AM
    CVYota

CVYota Damaged Goods

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Crescenta Valley
    Vehicle:
    '11 4X4 DCLB SR5 2.5 gen
    There are a few ways in, none of them easy. We take the high adventure scouts this way because of the challenge of the trail, and it is fun.

14. Mar 2, 2014 at 12:04 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R 4th MAW

Member:
    Republik of Kalifornia
    Vehicle:
    I think I need to do a backpacking trip up to Panamint City.

15. Mar 27, 2014 at 8:17 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R 4th MAW

Member:
    Republik of Kalifornia
    Vehicle:
  16. Mar 27, 2014 at 8:21 PM
    DoorDing

DoorDing Thank you, Nancy Roman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    How do you get that from the brief account? Looks like it could've been a typical deer strike in the dark. Sucks for the animal, but I see no proof of dickery. :notsure:

17. Mar 27, 2014 at 11:53 PM
    surfnmoto2

surfnmoto2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    DCLB 4x4
    Snugtop cap for the dog, Camburg 2.5 Coilovers, Camburg Uniball UCA, Deaver custom expedition leaf pac and other stuff.....
    Last weeks camping in Cottonwood Canyon, Death Valley. Perfect weather and not another camper for miles!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. Mar 28, 2014 at 6:36 AM
    Crom

Member:
    First Name:
    Mr. Sir
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    ^Awesome!

19. Mar 28, 2014 at 8:09 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, stock gears, stock-size tires, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, CB
    I've been on the Titus Canyon road several times, and that section is a one-lane, narrow, winding, gravel road with large rocks just off the shoulder everywhere. Its not a desert race course. Any responsible driver shouldn't be going over 25 mph. Those animals are very quick and wary. The observation was made at 7:30pm and the estimated time of the incident was around 5:30pm, so it wasn't dark.

Thats enough circumstantial evidence for 'dickery' for me. :mad:

20. Mar 28, 2014 at 3:05 PM
    DoorDing

DoorDing Thank you, Nancy Roman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    Ok, sounds a little more dickish. I don't like seeing animals needlessly suffer from mortal injuries, either. It could've been a bad combination of poor visibility and it jumping right in front of the vehicle, but then I'd wonder why they didn't put it down immediately after impact, or called someone that would.

To Top