1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Death Valley Off-Road Adventures

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Crom, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Nov 25, 2020 at 8:39 AM
    turbodb

turbodb AdventureTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma Xcab 4x4 SR5 V6 TRD
    AdventureTaco
    Yeah, you're crazy. :D

You won't be able to get from Striped Butte to Hidden Valley, via Titus and South Pass in one day. Distances are deceiving.

Here's a "better" IMO itinerary for 6 days with a bunch of the stuff you're trying to see:
    1. Tue - Camp near Bishop
    2. Wed - To Butte Valley
    3. Thu - explore in Butte Valley (there are several cabins, tons of hiking)
    4. Fri - Warm Springs Rd and touristy stuff on Badwater road; camp outside Beatty somewhere - lots of BLM around
    5. Sat - gas in Beatty, then see Ryolite on the way to Titus Canyon. Titus to Ubehebe Crater to Racetrack Valley; Camp on Racetrack Valley Rd - perhaps in the campground at the end by Lippincott.
    6. Sun - Backtrack a little bit and explore Racetrack - sailing stones, grandstand. Down Lippincott to Saline Valley. Explore the valley a bit - salt tram, springs (lots of other stuff here as well - mines, etc.). Camp at warm springs.
    7. Mon - drive out via north pass
    That means you won't see Eureka Valley on this first trip. But you don't really have time for it anyway. And, it's quite far away from everything else. Again, distances.

2. Nov 25, 2020 at 8:44 AM
    Hotdog's TacoTruck

Hotdog's TacoTruck Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Ventura, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Silver Tacoma TRD Sport
    2022 TRD OffRoad Bilsteins and leaf pack with ToyTec/Deaver add-a-leaf, Icon UCA’s, FlipPac camper shell
    This could be the answer to a "sum up Death Valley in four words" question: Beautiful! Distances are deceiving.

ian408, LooneytuneSR5 and Drainbung like this.
  3. Nov 25, 2020 at 9:07 AM
    Zebinator

Zebinator Well-Known Member

Member:
    Norcal
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Totally hear that. Given our penchant for solitude, and maybe avoiding the looong washboard between ubehebe and racetrack, what about skipping rhyolite/Titus/ubehebe for eureka canyon?

It looks like homestake area to eureka dunes-ish by lippincott/warm springs is about 4-5 hours of drive time, yes?

Entering at Trona cuts two hours off our drive from Monterey. But we are returning to the north bay so will depart thru Bishop as long as the passes stay open. Very excited for the butte valley area!

4. Nov 25, 2020 at 9:43 AM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    Zeb I'm a little lost on your route to traverse the Sierra Nevada. Are you coming in from the North? If so then I understand doing a first night at Bishop or somewhere in the valley. If you're coming from Kern then there's no reason to go up to Bishop if that's your exit point at the end of the trip.

Hobbs likes this.
  5. Nov 25, 2020 at 10:08 AM
    Zebinator

Member:
    Norcal
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Yah, starting in Monterey, Ca.... looks like closest entry to park is Trona. Returning to north bay, so can leave by either the south or north... it’s a toss up returning.

Hobbs likes this.
  6. Nov 25, 2020 at 10:50 AM
    Airdog

Airdog did your Mom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/airdogs-2012-prerunner-access-cab-slow-build.264263/
    Just did a trip this week Nov. 21-24...Saturday thru Tuesday. Entered at sarasota springs rd by Dumont dunes then up henry wade..westside road to warm springs road...We got Geologists cabin on saturday which was a surprise thought for sure it would be taken by the time we got there.

[​IMG]

Some people showed up after dark and thought camping below us was ok....I thought it was a bit rude...am I wrong here???
    upload_2020-11-25_10-13-57.jpg

Went back out warm springs road to westside road, gassed up at furnace creek then onto to Ubehebe crater...which was very crowded on Sunday...drove to Racetrack which didnt have as many people...scored the very top camping spot/concrete pad on the trail up to Upper Lippencott mine.

IMG_3096.jpg

Next day exited race track into hidden valley..hit up lost burro mine then thru hunter mountain which still had snow on the trail in north facing areas. Exited onto 190 from Saline valley road and had lunch at star wars canyon....no planes sadly. Gassed up in Panamint stopped at Ballarat and continued on wingate rd went up Goler and camped at Keystone Mine camp.

[​IMG]

Exited the same way we came in and headed home to Socal thru Trona.
    Was a great trip with awesome weather...60s-70s daytime and low-mid 40's at night and almost no wind.

7. Nov 25, 2020 at 11:01 AM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    So if you're coming in from Kern and your first place you want to see is Butte Valley I suggest you try to get to Ballarat and camp around there the first night. This way you're up early to the trip to Butte Valley. You might just get Geologist's Cabin to yourself and camp there to continue your itinerary the next day. If Butte Valley isn't the priority then it opens up to other options. In all my trips to DV I've seen Butte Valley twice and camped there once. I do want to go back but I prefer the Northwest section of the park. Your days will be long with lots of driving.

My ideas...Butte Valley specific
    If entering from the South (Kern):
    1. Tue - Camp in Panamint Valley/Ballarat/Panamint Springs Resort. Lots of options in this area.
    2. Wed - To Butte Valley, explore and camp. Maybe hike Stripped Butte
    3. Thu - Head out Warm Springs Road, do Death Valley proper, IE Furnace Creek and some of the touristy spots. Camp off of the turn off for Chloride City not too far from pavement.
    4. Fri - Early departure for Beatty and Titus. Then to Ubehebe and Homestake Camp.
    5. Sat - Wake up early and see The Racetrack. There are two main sections people go to see. The Grandstand at the North and the sailing stones at the southerly end (longer walk). Lippincott to Saline Valley Warm Springs. You can wind down and savor the afternoon and get a shower.
    6. Sun - Steel Pass/Dedeckera Canyon to Eureka Dunes Camp.
    7. Mon - drive out via Death Valley Road to Big Pine. This drive does have some Joshua Trees.
    If entering from the North (Bishop/Bridgeport):
    1. Tue - Camp in Owens Valley, preferably closer to 190.
    2. Wed - To Butte Valley and camp.
    3. Thu - Explore Butte Valley and head out Warm Springs Road, do Death Valley proper, IE Furnace Creek and some of the touristy spots. Camp off of the turn off for Chloride City not too far from pavement.
    4. Fri - Early departure for Beatty and Titus. Then to Ubehebe and Homestake Camp.
    5. Sat - Wake up early and see The Racetrack. There are two main sections people go to see and distance is deceiving :bowdown:. The Grandstand at the North and the sailing stones at the southerly end (longer walk). Lippincott to Saline Valley Warm Springs. You can wind down and savor the afternoon and get a shower.
    6. Sun - Steel Pass/Dedeckera Canyon to Eureka Dunes Camp.
    7. Mon - drive out via Death Valley Road to Big Pine. This drive does have some Joshua Trees.

Skada, turbodb, Zebinator and 4 others like this.
  8. Nov 25, 2020 at 12:44 PM
    sawbladeduller

sawbladeduller semi-realist

Member:
    North Cal
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB '98 2.7L
    fully zip tied
    It looks like homestake area to eureka dunes-ish by lippincott/warm springs is about 4-5 hours of drive time, yes?

no. two days. one of the best drives is from palm spring to the dunes, I've spent five hours on that drive alone, just because going slow is fun.
    homestake to the warm springs is doable no problem, and lippincott is also fun to go slow on. suggest not trying to hurry on either of those roads

..and from the dunes you can get to norcal in 8-10 hours, and almost the same time from the springs via north pass.

9. Nov 25, 2020 at 4:17 PM
    BalutTaco

BalutTaco Moja_Przygoda

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Limo Trail Edition -> 2022 Magnetic Grey OR
    Bird nest engine bay.
    On my 5th day of DV! Will update y’all later! The desert is cold

FC091183-A024-43DE-B8C7-C4E91EC6CE46.jpg
    F03068C3-61AB-448D-AB5D-78174C3C6710.jpg

10. Nov 25, 2020 at 6:57 PM
    turbodb

turbodb AdventureTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma Xcab 4x4 SR5 V6 TRD
    AdventureTaco
    @Zebinator - one of the things I think you'll want to be prepared for with any itinerary (and Eric's are both great IMO), is the "unfortunate" reality that you are unlikely to get through all of whatever you plan. I say "unfortunate" because it turns out to be a blessing in disguise - there's always more to go back for! :D

In all my trips to DV, I've never done everything I planned, and I've always found (very fun, often times "trip highlights") detours that I didn't plan. Anyway, I say that only as a way of reinforcing that whatever itinerary you end up with, TRY NOT TO RUSH. Enjoy yourselves and go slow; be in the present, wherever you are. My most favorite trips to DV have been the ones where I've driven the least number of miles. :thumbsup:

11. Nov 25, 2020 at 7:12 PM
    ihatemytruck

ihatemytruck Smartass

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tacoma 4x4 off road DCLB
    This.
    I always tend to cram too much in. Now I try to not overdo it, but still have something nearby in case we finish someplace early. It's definitely more enjoyable to not be in a rush and stay in the moment. Many times you spend more time than planned somewhere because you keep exploring the area more and more as you find cool stuff.

Zebinator and omegaman2 like this.
  12. Nov 25, 2020 at 7:16 PM
    ihatemytruck

ihatemytruck Smartass

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tacoma 4x4 off road DCLB
    I'm not sure you can upload a map to caltopo, but I haven't checked either. I agree though, paper maps are also always in the truck. They do give a great overview of the area!

Zebinator[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Nov 25, 2020 at 7:29 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    I find when a place intrigues me, I have a list for "next time" but next time, I've found something else like that I could spend all day in the dunes and not feel l saw everything dune.

14. Nov 25, 2020 at 8:54 PM
    CVYota

CVYota Damaged goods

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Crescenta Valley
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB V6 4WD
    Extended front 2.5 Icons. LR UCAs, Dakar Leaf Springs, rear King Smooth 2.5 w/res , Softopper, 285/75-16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with kevlar,16x8 SCS wheels 4.5 bs, Brute Force Rear bumper, 4x4 switch led, Diff Breather mod, weathertechs, Pelfrybilt front bumper, IFS and mid skids, B.A.M.F rear diff armor, LCA armor, Light bar mount and Sliders, Homer grill, Andres Devil horns, LED light bar, gauge pod with dual battery gauge and ecometer. Dual battery.
  15. Nov 25, 2020 at 11:31 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Hobbs likes this.
  16. Nov 26, 2020 at 7:29 AM
    CVYota

CVYota Damaged goods

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Crescenta Valley
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB V6 4WD
    Extended front 2.5 Icons. LR UCAs, Dakar Leaf Springs, rear King Smooth 2.5 w/res , Softopper, 285/75-16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with kevlar,16x8 SCS wheels 4.5 bs, Brute Force Rear bumper, 4x4 switch led, Diff Breather mod, weathertechs, Pelfrybilt front bumper, IFS and mid skids, B.A.M.F rear diff armor, LCA armor, Light bar mount and Sliders, Homer grill, Andres Devil horns, LED light bar, gauge pod with dual battery gauge and ecometer. Dual battery.
    Keep in mind he's the one that burned down the old hotel

ETAV8R and Hobbs like this.
  17. Nov 26, 2020 at 8:38 AM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    I hadn't heard that.

18. Nov 26, 2020 at 9:07 AM
    Zebinator

Member:
    Norcal
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Thanks again all! You are all speaking my language. I like to plan plan plan and then get there and see what happens. It wouldn’t be the first time we’ve driven somewhere, found an amazing spot, and not moved for days.

And happy Thanksgiving!

19. Nov 26, 2020 at 10:49 AM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    Thanks for sharing this. I sent in my comments. Not sure about paving the road to Mosaic. I know I don't want to see the airstrip taken away for "dark sky viewing" since the entire park is a dark sky site. Having another option to land and camp is a great thing not to mention for pilots who may encounter issues which would necessitate a forced landing.

This improvement document is so much easier to digest than the Saline Valley Management Plan.

20. Nov 26, 2020 at 11:38 AM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    I’m not skier how I feel about tasking the landing strip away. But I do feel that it’s important to give access to as many people as possible and the strip has been there for a long time. I’d be happier with verbiage that ensures it’s not expanded and remains as it is today.

ihatemytruck likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top