1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Death Valley Off-Road Adventures

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Crom, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Dec 6, 2020 at 3:40 AM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    Yes it was. We were already inside the Park when it was closed. And We were actually on our way out and had about two miles left on dirt on Warm Springs Road leaving Striped Butte Valley before hitting pavement. We got pulled over by a Ranger who was heading in. At first she wasn't very friendly and was ready to ticket us for being inside after the closure. But after a few minutes of talking with us she figured out we were already inside when the Park issued the full closure order (at noon on a Saturday) and we ended up talking for a few minutes. She also gave is the combination to the locked gate, she didn't want us to to go around it.

2. Dec 6, 2020 at 7:37 AM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Can you PM the combo? Thanks! J/K.

The closure is weird in that some things still seemed open even though the park was closed. Maybe they're going to keep the main road open this time?

3. Dec 6, 2020 at 8:46 AM
    Zebinator

Zebinator Well-Known Member

Member:
    Norcal
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    from the NPS website:

Camping
    CLOSED: In support of the State of California's Regional Stay at Home Order, campgrounds are temporarily closed until further notice. This includes developed campgrounds and backcountry sites​

Im not sure if dispersed camping is a “site” or not... but it sounds like the park is mostly open...

4. Dec 6, 2020 at 9:43 AM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    Backcountry would include places like Saline Valley Warm Springs, Homestake, Eureka Dunes, and Mahogany Flats.

5. Dec 6, 2020 at 11:45 AM
    Borrego Taco

Borrego Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    The order is not clear. The park website elsewhere lists “backcountry camping” as being the same as “dispersed camping” and the inclusion of “sites” muddies the waters.

Anyone got actual confirmation one way or another from the park?

Or are we all trying to read it optimistically that dispersed camping is open?

6. Dec 6, 2020 at 11:49 AM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    The combo was a very stupid and easy to remember sequence of numbers, I just can't remember exactly what lock it was :facepalm:

7. Dec 6, 2020 at 12:02 PM
    theesotericone

theesotericone Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bishop CA
    I just called the Park. Dispersed camping will be open. @ETAV8R is correct that only the established backcountry campsites will be closed.

What you do with that info is up to you. As someone who lives here I would ask everyone to stay home. If your not able to do that please bring all supplies you will need to not have to interact with any East Side businesses. The quicker we get this shit over with the quicker we can all enjoy non-restricted access to all our favorite areas.

8. Dec 6, 2020 at 12:39 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    Was it this combo?

[​IMG]

9. Dec 6, 2020 at 12:46 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    Oh man, I think I may need to revisit Space Balls again later on tonight!!

10. Dec 6, 2020 at 12:48 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    Definitely a classic! haha

Drainbung likes this.
  11. Dec 6, 2020 at 2:29 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Got it! Thanks!

MonkeyProof[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Dec 6, 2020 at 4:32 PM
    Zebinator

Member:
    Norcal
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Does filling water bottles and buying gas count as interacting with local business? Not meant to be flippant, just clarifying. Being married to a dr we take this pretty seriously so will travel with real masks (not bandannas) plenty of hand sanitizer, and 6’ radar on. Because... we really want to get out.

VE7OSR and Drainbung like this.
  13. Dec 6, 2020 at 6:04 PM
    sawbladeduller

sawbladeduller semi-realist

Member:
    North Cal
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB '98 2.7L
    fully zip tied
    i tend to bring my own water. if the gas stations are open and the roads are open, i'll buy gas where i plan to. i wear a mask, i carry gloves for pump and keyboard, and use my sanitizer afterwords. i've been rolling as self contained as possible since march, no inside stores, no food establishments. i've found that the gas stations at certain times of the day can have several individuals not masking.

14. Dec 6, 2020 at 8:24 PM
    stickyTaco

stickyTaco Fuck Cancer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    Fox/Dakar with Relentless goodies and stuff
    We filled water at home and gassed up in Beatty (filling an extra 10 gallons into gas cans) then gassing up in Big Pine before heading home. Only other stop was the pay booth in stovepipe. Hand sanitizer before and after and wear a real face mask.

15. Dec 7, 2020 at 7:52 PM
    Zebinator

Member:
    Norcal
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    We will bring 14+ gallons of water and prioritize that for drinking as much as possible, refilling other containers for cooking/dishes/etc. My better half is a total water snob. ;) She's been known to run campground water though the filter.

Speaking of 14 gallons of water, I've got so much to do to get ready... install L-track in the bed to really batten down the cargo - esp the three jerry cans and the propane bottle... (worried about all the washboard) repair cv boot... install ARB inflator... I am also excited to see how some of my fab work fares with the rough conditions. If my RTT rack holds up, i'll be stoked. (first welding job in aluminum)

Looks like we will squarely hit the full moon, which is a bit of a bummer as i was looking forward to the star gazing, but a bright moon should provide other opportunities for beauty, and make late camp setup easier (not that we're planning on that!) Anyone else planning to be out there ~12/28-1/3?

16. Dec 7, 2020 at 8:18 PM
    BalutTaco

BalutTaco Moja_Przygoda

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Limo Trail Edition -> 2022 Magnetic Grey OR
    Bird nest engine bay.
    Where are you planning to go? I just got back 2 weeks ago. spent total of 5 days.

T-yoda likes this.
  17. Dec 7, 2020 at 8:41 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    With the park closure I'd be careful where you plan to camp. I wonder what the citation from a patrol ranger would state. Even though the place is huge I wouldn't want to get booted after setting up camp nor get a citation that would put oneself on the park radar.
    Normally I would be out at the springs on or about the 3rd/4th following the new years exodus of the masses. Well no soaking and park closure are hindering my routine.

T-yoda, Zebinator[QUOTED] and ian408 like this.
  18. Dec 7, 2020 at 10:27 PM
    stickyTaco

stickyTaco Fuck Cancer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    The park is spectacular with a full moon and wandering around the desert on foot with nothing but moonlight is pretty cool. Plus it'll give you an excuse to come back later to see the dark sky.

B42A1ADC-0A5C-46DB-996C-F8B4AC7DDCC7.jpg

F967C229-BD41-496F-ACD6-98C7C159F6DC.jpg

As of yesterday disbursed camping was allowed. Just no camping in developed campgrounds. Who knows what services in the park will remain open though so plan to be flexible.

19. Dec 7, 2020 at 10:34 PM
    stickyTaco

stickyTaco Fuck Cancer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    Yeah, springs are still closed but disbursed camping is a go. My guess is the backcountry camping close to the graded roads will be a bit busy since people are pushed out of the campgrounds. Hopefully those people don't leave a bunch of tp treasures under an inch of soil.

732C1269-CB9E-45B8-89ED-62E81BEBCAE9.jpg

20. Dec 8, 2020 at 12:36 AM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    Straight from their site, not the facebook road condtions page...camping is not "a go". Looks like mixed messages from the facebook page vs official park website. I'd call before you go.

https://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/conditions.htm
    Camping
    CLOSED: In support of the State of California's Regional Stay at Home Order, campgrounds are temporarily closed until further notice. This includes developed campgrounds and backcountry sites.

https://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/backcamp.htm
    Backcountry Camping
    Plan Your Fun & Safe Adventure!
    Backcountry & Wilderness Access Map

Interested in backcountry (dispersed) camping? It is a great opportunity to explore the park's rugged Wilderness. Check out the information on this page to learn where camping is allowed, what regulations apply, and how to obtain a free permit.

Where is backcountry roadside camping allowed?
    • Along dirt roads at least one mile away from any paved road or "day use only" dirt road.
    • Camp only in previously disturbed areas and park your vehicle immediately adjacent to the roadway to minimize impact. The wilderness boundary is 50 feet from the center of most dirt roads.
    • Download the Backcountry & Wilderness Access Map to take with you.

YMMV dependent on whether or not back country patrols are going on. I wouldn't roll the dice personally and I'm not really fond of the kommifornia ruler's edicts. I've shared personal emails with the park superintendent and he isn't flexible on how he manages DVNP. There's plenty of desert outside the park that is free from regulation other than the "stay at home" orders...but then there's NV and AZ too.
    :thumbsup:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    T-yoda, Zebinator, Drainbung and 2 others like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top