1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Death Valley Off-Road Adventures

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Crom, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Oct 29, 2015 at 6:54 AM
    CVYota

CVYota Damaged goods

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Crescenta Valley
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB V6 4WD
    Extended front 2.5 Icons. LR UCAs, Dakar Leaf Springs, rear King Smooth 2.5 w/res , Softopper, 285/75-16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with kevlar,16x8 SCS wheels 4.5 bs, Brute Force Rear bumper, 4x4 switch led, Diff Breather mod, weathertechs, Pelfrybilt front bumper, IFS and mid skids, B.A.M.F rear diff armor, LCA armor, Light bar mount and Sliders, Homer grill, Andres Devil horns, LED light bar, gauge pod with dual battery gauge and ecometer. Dual battery.
    2013 article:smack:.

I have to pay more attention.

As long as it isn't the 20 foot drops that some creeks create, it should be manageable. Just have to go slow. Looks like a no go this weekend too much to do. I have a mid November trip planned but it is a scout thing. I think a spring trip is good depending on the weather.

Crom[OP] likes this.
  2. Nov 7, 2015 at 6:49 PM
    Crom

Crom [OP] Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Lots of progress is being made to restore routes of travel!

The team working on flood recovery at Death Valley National Park includes 140 people from 26 organizations, including national parks and related support offices, U.S. Park Police, U.S. Public Health Service, U.S. Geological Survey, Federal Highways Administration, and Student Conservation Association.

Latest update:
    http://www.nps.gov/deva/upload/Flood-Handout-Nov-6-2015.pdf

I read the full report on the damage to Scotties Castle. They are not done estimating the damages but we expect final restoration costs to be in the 10's of millions. So much destruction.

They say that the water flow in Grapevine Canyon was 10 orders greater than a 100 years flood.

My god... Wish I could have been there.
    or:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  3. Nov 7, 2015 at 7:57 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    ^Damn that sucks.

4. Nov 8, 2015 at 6:52 AM
    Crom

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    I recall the tragedy of the graders misfortune. A case of making a bad choice after the dreaded double failure (flat tire, non op radio.)

Back in '09 I passed a woman operating a grader very near Post Office springs on Wingate road, just south of Ballarat.

I recall wanting to know more about the job. :)

I am always amazed when traveling thru Titus Canyon, it never ceases to impress. And the graders there definitely have their work cut out for them after each rainfall plus steep inclines. Really tricky spots in a few sections.

Last time I went thru, the sun set about half way thru the canyon. It was one of the only times I really wish I had some off-road lighting. Going thru the last section in darkness with the walls closing in, was quite the experience!

Going back to the idea of having a pass for more equipped vehicles on bad closed roads. I realize that unless there was a live active registration system, it would be a terrible idea for safety's sake. Convoys make things safer, but risk would be greatly elevated for solo travelers.

In all my solo back country travels in DV I have always encountered at least one traveler while traversing a trail, but the trails were open, too...

For safety I have my UHF/VHF 50 Watt radio, and lots of operating experience. I also carry a recent database extract of which amateur repeats are in the area AND how to access them. The thing is with DV, it's so vast and terrain so harsh, there is no guarantee that at any one time contact can be made.

Last year I set one of my tuners to scan while traveling and I heard all kinds of interesting traffic around furnace creek and got some Nevada traffic while up on chloride cliffs. I made contact and talked simplex to a pair of hams running up the 190. Very fun stuff.

For backup to radio, I carry a PLB, and it goes around my neck or pack while hiking in wilderness.

5. Nov 8, 2015 at 7:45 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Sounds much like a Federal excuse to have a boondoggle.

ETAV8R likes this.
  6. Nov 8, 2015 at 6:52 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    I have used the InReach when I chased for Toyota at last year's Baja 1000 (when we won in the Tundra :) ). My experience with them was great... as long as someone is monitoring on the other end. :) A great combo with a Sat Phone but great by itself if you are backpacking, hiking, burying a dead body, etc.

ETAV8R, Crom[OP] and DoorDing like this.
  7. Nov 8, 2015 at 7:41 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    NP

8. Nov 8, 2015 at 8:14 PM
    Crom

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    lol Paul. Not all government spending is bad. Their gas line, water systems, electrical systems all destroyed. Like a hurricane. What should they use to fix it? Bubble gum and Band-Aids?

I'm okay with them fixing the castle. And I want it fixed ASAP. :D I want to take a tour with my kids there maybe next Feb. Although probably won't be fixed by then. They are saying closed for the foreseeable future...

9. Nov 9, 2015 at 6:16 AM
    Bman4X5

Bman4X5 There is no substitute for square inches.

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Upland CA
    Vehicle:
    '15 AC/OR
    Bilstein, Dakar/Icon, Prinsu, CBI, Pelfreybilt, Tepui
    Definitely worth a visit. I'm planning a trip for early April, and I'm hopeful all backcountry roads will be open by then. I've seen everything you can get to on pavement..

Crom[OP] and DoorDing like this.
  10. Nov 9, 2015 at 6:33 AM
    CVYota

CVYota Damaged goods

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Crescenta Valley
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB V6 4WD
    Extended front 2.5 Icons. LR UCAs, Dakar Leaf Springs, rear King Smooth 2.5 w/res , Softopper, 285/75-16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with kevlar,16x8 SCS wheels 4.5 bs, Brute Force Rear bumper, 4x4 switch led, Diff Breather mod, weathertechs, Pelfrybilt front bumper, IFS and mid skids, B.A.M.F rear diff armor, LCA armor, Light bar mount and Sliders, Homer grill, Andres Devil horns, LED light bar, gauge pod with dual battery gauge and ecometer. Dual battery.
    Heading to DV this weekend going to see what is passable in the back country. Might go look for the old crashed plane.

Crom[OP] and DoorDing like this.
  11. Nov 9, 2015 at 7:42 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    I am sure they will spend 5 times more than necessary so that their friends and motives are satisfied.

Crom[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  12. Nov 9, 2015 at 8:08 AM
    CVYota

CVYota Damaged goods

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Crescenta Valley
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB V6 4WD
    No it's a scout outing. Probably 6 vehicles, some new parents in their unused 4wd vehicles...heehee

Crom[OP] likes this.
  13. Nov 9, 2015 at 12:54 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    A friend of mine was out in the sacred northwestern part of the park this past weekend and was lucky enough to get to see the missile launch and several meteors. Sadly I had to work.

DoorDing and Crom[OP] like this.
  14. Nov 9, 2015 at 3:44 PM
    Crom

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    Sounds fun! Get 'em some pinstripes. They'll love you forever. :D

ETAV8R likes this.
  15. Nov 9, 2015 at 3:46 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    It's funny how some don't understand the love of pinstripes. :) I don't like them but they are part of the entry fee for some of the nicest beauty this country has to offer. :)

ETAV8R and Crom[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  16. Nov 9, 2015 at 3:52 PM
    Crom

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    QFT. :) I don't mind them on the truck body, but when I started to get them on my $2,400 shell I was like nooooooo! :D But that was a 3 years ago, and now shell is just another part of the truck.

17. Nov 9, 2015 at 4:28 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    I have a neighbor from Peru that has come over more than once to look at the truck. The first time he said to me, "That's a man's truck." I asked him what he meant and he said, "You use it like a truck as we did in our country and it has the stripes to prove it - not like a woman's truck." It made me chuckle. :)

18. Nov 9, 2015 at 6:23 PM
    Crom

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    That's awesome! Great way to connect with the neighbors. I bet Peru has some very interesting trails.

19. Nov 10, 2015 at 8:18 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
  20. Nov 10, 2015 at 8:21 AM