1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Death Valley Offroad tour in stock Tacoma (Video)

Discussion in 'Tacoma Videos' started by Capt Pie, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    Capt Pie

Capt Pie [OP] Active Member

Member:
    sacramento
    Vehicle:
    sr5 V6 4WD
    [​IMG]

Hey hey,

First off, THANK YOU to those who helped on my last post about tire size. Set me up nice or my trip. Also, I know a lot of you have beautiful, totally decked out Tacomas that take a dump on mine that could handle this stuff with ease, but I'm very proud of my little stock truck :) I am by no means an off road guy, I just like to play around in the dirt now and then. I film and edit video :)

I am shooting a TV series about motorcycles, and this episode was on dual-sports. My friends setup a Death Valley Tour, and I had to follow them with my truck loaded down with camera gear to film them. Little did I know the terrain I would be chasing them down would be way worse than I saw on Google images.

To sum it up, I experienced:

Alabama hills, dirt, rocks, sand, silt, snow, hunter mountain, hidden valley, teakettle junction, racetrack, lippincott pass, saline valley, hot springs, nudity, high wind, gnocci, spectacular camping, steele pass, marble bath, dedeckera canyon, eureka / singing dunes, a few paved turns, cold slab, good friends, all in a Stock 4x4 Toyota Tacoma.

I REALLY REALLY want to beef up the suspension now so I could fly over the stuff I had to CRAWL over, but all in all no problems with the truck. I took a super super hard hit in the front end and now my driver side front wheel is pretty loose when driving and rattles a lot, but nothing major.

At 12 years old and 171,000 miles on her, I couldn't be more proud.

Anyone in the Sacramento area want to help me do some suspension upgrades? I have 6 more episodes to film and we could totally include your business for world wide exposure ;)

Here are some pics and video. We shot the stills with a Canon 7d. Onboard footage was shot with the new GoPro HD Hero2 cameras.

So ya... this isn't going to cut it for Death Valley.. Time for some tire upgrade (Thank you Tacoma World for your help with the tires!)

[​IMG]

Ok! Suspension checked, tires upgraded, oil change, air filter change, alignment.. lets roll
    [​IMG]

So after the first 20 miles and feeling like my truck is going to rattle itself into oblivion, we stop. I was asked, "what is your tire pressure at dude?"

me - "um, 45 each tire. Max PSI is 50.

them, "uhhhh...dude get that shit to 20!!"

me, "really? hmmm.. you sure?"

them, "hahah dude you are freaking retarded :)"

me, *lets air out*
    [​IMG]

making my way down a hill
    [​IMG]

Taking a break to shoot some time lapse footage
    [​IMG]

Having some fun
    [​IMG]

Shooting the bikes
    [​IMG]

Beautiful dunes!
    [​IMG]

Worst part was seeing my friends crash and having to film and not help. I explained ahead of time that unless it was a severe accident or they were unconscious we had to keep filming. We gave a code word for them to use, and if they used it, we would drop our gear and help.
    [​IMG]

at an Oasis or something
    [​IMG]

Posing!
    [​IMG]

Hooligan!
    [​IMG]

Can't believe I get paid to do this
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and a shorty video. Again, I know a lot of you have no problem with terrain like this, but when you are carrying about $50k worth of equipment and there is a giant sign that says, "No tow service, 4x4 with high clearance only" you gotta take it slow :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jttZWjrXWCk

2. Feb 21, 2012 at 8:03 PM
    ruslanus

ruslanus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rus
    Wasilla, AK
    Rear diff breather relocate, CB, weather tech floor mats, rain guards EGR, DTRL stealth mode switch, removed mud flaps, SnugTop Rebel camper shell, Airflow America snorkel
    That's really nice. You are right, I can't believe you get paid to do that either! :)

3. Feb 21, 2012 at 8:11 PM
    45acp

45acp Paint me back in Wyoming again...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Boring, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    bone stock / unmolested 04 2.7L
    I think someone needs to come to the Moab meet.:spy:

4. Feb 21, 2012 at 8:13 PM
    rbeezy

rbeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5
    nice pics/vid. did you get to explore that little cave @ 4:25?

5. Feb 21, 2012 at 8:15 PM
    TACOMABOSS

TACOMABOSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
    thats pretty sweet. cool video :thumbsup:

6. Feb 21, 2012 at 8:17 PM
    JoeTacoma02

JoeTacoma02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Beaverton, OR
    Vehicle:
    SWB 05 Double Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road
    You lucky SOB! Great pictures and awesome job!

7. Feb 21, 2012 at 8:35 PM
    qwertypepper

qwertypepper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    cam
    canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD sport dclb
    4 the riders dot com? awsome

8. Feb 21, 2012 at 8:40 PM
    Foihdzas

Foihdzas What is hummingbird?

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    B.C Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl Cab 5' Box
    Extra fog lights behind grill, Pro Form rubberized undercoat, Fog lights on w/ high beams mod, Lighted 4wd switch, Husky Liners, 12v always on, Yellow wire mod, DEVIL HORNS BABY!! OME 885's Nitrochargers w/ 1.5" AAL with 1" lift block, Redline hood struts, front/rear winch wiring, Blue Sea systems Fuse Block, Spidertrax spacers, Wet Okle seat covers, ECGS front diff Bering Replacement

x2

I'm jealous of your job!

9. Feb 22, 2012 at 7:09 PM
    Capt Pie

Member:
    sacramento
    Vehicle:
    sr5 V6 4WD
    Thanks guys!

We thought about stopping and exploring it, but the riders were already so far ahead that we had to keep going. 2 wheels can make it through there a lot quicker, and I didn't want to keep them waiting any longer than they had to. Looking back, I wish we did check it out.

10. Feb 22, 2012 at 7:15 PM
    TacoIII

TacoIII Mr. Boombastic

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4 off road package
    3" OME 886 coils, ARB bumper warn M8000, Lightforce 240's and 255/85 16 KM2, Redline hood struts, custom offroad bodywork
    super lucky! I want to wheel death valley sooo bad. Maybe i can get stationed out there next

11. Feb 23, 2012 at 10:24 AM
    Rez

Rez Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    awesome pictures,
    what was the code word you guys had for emergency time?

12. Feb 23, 2012 at 11:33 PM
    gacandido2010

gacandido2010 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabriel
    Inland Empire CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Prerunner TRD
    Bilstein 5100s, Eibach Coils, All Pro Baja Leaf Pack, Fox 2.5x16", All Pro 1.5 spacers, Deckplate Mod, K&N Filter, Magna-Flow Exhaust System, Cobra Ultra Cb with 3" Firestick, 2 Hella 500 HIDs, custom mesh grill, blacked out lettering, Limo Tint, Fog Light Mod
    hey man how are you liking those at2s? thinking about getting those but heard they dont do to good in the dunes

13. Feb 25, 2012 at 1:48 PM
    Capt Pie

Member:
    sacramento
    Vehicle:
    sr5 V6 4WD
    The code word wasn't anything special. Just "Kevin's!" me and my intern have the same name, so if they broke the barrier and called our name we would help.

As for the tires I LOVE them. I went through every terrain and didn't have a problem, including deep sand. I even stopped in deep sand and was able to drive right out with no issues. The bikes were getting stuck and I was able to drive right through

14. Mar 9, 2012 at 3:39 PM
    monoman

monoman Time to get dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Exotic, San Jose, Cal.
    Vehicle:
    Hey, nothing here, stop doing that!!
    Just look to your right! ->
    Wow, great pics & vids, thanks for sharing! Isn't it amazing when you air down, the ride feels like your in a limo?? I remember the first time I went out there to Death Valley. The roads were so washboarded that I thought my back teeth were gonna get loose! Aired down & hit speeds of about 40 & wow, what a difference!:eek:

.......From the video, looks like Lippincott Rd maybe? Great little road up to "The Racetrack".

15. Mar 10, 2012 at 6:27 PM
    Capt Pie

Member:
    sacramento
    Vehicle:
    sr5 V6 4WD

hahaha dude you are spot on! Lippincott Rd for sure, and we did head to the Racetrack. Ya, once I air'ed down, I couldn't believe I didn't know something so simple. Live n' learn!

To Top